Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 08:06 AM
FOBioPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

a quick screenshot of the Clonezilla "Expert Mode" options which worked for me, when recovering the HDD and cloning to an SSD
Old 12-24-2020, 04:49 PM
Wellwood
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnAlbumCover
An update. The above directions from the OP still work. Be sure to buy the same exact stuff. I tried different mSATA drives, etc and they all failed.

I had to use HDClone instead of Clonezilla or DiskGenius, neither of those pieces of software worked for me. When I used HD Clone, it gave me an error and said "we can't read part of the toshiba drive, want to continue cloning?". I hit yes and the cloned drive works in my Cayenne so I'm not sure why it errored.

I also saw some users wanting the image/ISO of an HDD. My Toshiba is the 40GB IDE/PATA drive from a 2011 Cayenne S - XM/NAV/Steering wheel controls. Happy to make it an ISO but I suspect it may not package correctly. It seems like the only way to "share" the drive is by physically cloning. When I plugged in the Toshiba into my desktop windows can't even read it w/o formatting first. I'm happy to clone it for folks too (as long as you cover the hardware/shipping costs, it takes a minimal amount of time so no charge for my time)
You got it. walter.ellwood@rogers.com Toronto Ontario. If you can copy the ISO to Goggle Docs or a duplicate drive - either way I will be happy to pay.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:11 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellwood
You got it. walter.ellwood@rogers.com Toronto Ontario. If you can copy the ISO to Goggle Docs or a duplicate drive - either way I will be happy to pay.
Many of the PCM3.1 units moved from the 40GB IDE/PATA HDD type to 100GB SATA type around 2013 - so check the HDD you have. If you are looking to restore a fully functional disk to get back your maps, then you will not only have to match the HDD type but have to try with someone who has the same version/year of maps as you had. Else, maps will likely not work. If you do not care about maps, then you can build your own HDD from scratch using the instructions i posted earlier and the update disk...

Old 12-29-2020, 04:38 AM
911DE
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kari
One can never say for certain but given your restart window of 2-5mins, it is most likely the hard disk drive in the PCM3.1 unit is dead or significantly damaged.
Cloning may potentially help resolve this - follow this thread for Cayenne specifics:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...d-upgrade.html

In some cases a simple clone may not resolve the problem and you may have to carry out additional steps:
See the following thread for the options to clone or build a SSD from scratch : https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...date-loop.html
- Post 24 in this thread lists the possible options and has a link to another post in this forum - follow these links to get an ISO for the 4.76 update disk you will need - you can burn that to a dvd
- I helped another user from Germany in the past - Posts 57 onwards in the same thread provide more detail (see post #65 and #76 for pics and specific steps ) - so you can follow those steps where relevant . For SATA, any SSD brand is likely to work - ... industrial/automotive ones are best but its not easy to find them...

From a removal and installation perspective , accessing the HDD is simple - so once you do this, you will feel more comfortable with installing Carplay. (Carplay requires you to install a board inside the PCM unit - so more dissection of the PCM unit ) There are videos on youtube that show you how to remove pcm3.1 and also install carplay...There are several carplay sellers - some are cheaper while other provide better service/assistance - so depends on how handy you are and the whether they supply to your country or not..

Good luck!
Thank you for the help. Well I bought an SSD and a dock. The internal offline cloning function of the dock did not work. I then went down the Clonezilla route, for which I used my brother's HP Pavillion laptop. BIOS was a nightmare and would not keep legacy mode enabled. Took me 2h to get to Clonezilla. For those having similar issues, you might need to follow these "windows 10 repair assistant" steps to get to actual boot options:

Horrible experience with this modern windows laptop overall. Super frustrated and wasted 2-3h getting to Clonezilla. Sorry - rant over

I ran clonezilla standard as described in https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...d-upgrade.html - Unfortunately it gave me some red error and it was pretty late at night. So I restarted Clonezilla and used expert mode with these options:

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel
a quick screenshot of the Clonezilla "Expert Mode" options which worked for me, when recovering the HDD and cloning to an SSD
So thank you for these tips. I assume it ran, as I found my laptop shut down this morning. Btw: During the first time I saw six disk partitions and loads of errors.

I now went to connect the SSD, same issue. PCM cashes every 5 minutes. And Maps are still stuck on loading. I assume the maps are too badly damaged?

Now is there an easy way to repair the SSD? Or verify the clone at least was successful? Where should I go? The PCM still has a spinning sound when starting up - is there another HDD or is that the optical drive? The LED indicator on the SATA connector at the SSD is solid orange if that helps with anything?

I am not at a blue screen or anything, the PCM works itself, just crashes and doesn't have maps. So most important would be to get it stable and running without crashing and regain maps if possible. Do I need the disks from Porsche?

Do I need to run the update ISO that's floating around the forum now? If so, just copy past onto a USB? or make it bottle by using something like BalenaEtcher? or burn using DVD / CD burner? How do I start the update or does it do this automatically?

Or should I try cloning the HDD of a friend who bought the same model of cayenne a few months after us? Or will there be VIN issues? You other posts mentioned a few things but I have 0 clue what's applicable to my specific situation.

Cheers.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:40 AM
911DE
7th Gear

To add to my previous post: When l look at the current system status with the HDD installed I get

SWID_PCM3HDD. Status
SWID:PCM31...... VALID

and playing back CDs works, as well as the tuner.

When installing my "cloned" SSD (again, not sure if Clonezilla did a god job) or not connecting any drive at all I only get radio functionality, no CD playback and it displays

SWID_PCM3HDD. Status
SWID:PCM31...... INVALID

as well as some red light I can see light up behind the PCM unit.

Last edited by 911DE; 12-29-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:48 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 911DE
To add to my previous post: When l look at the current system status with the HDD installed I get

SWID_PCM3HDD. Status
SWID:PCM31...... VALID

and playing back CDs works, as well as the tuner.

When installing my "cloned" SSD (again, not sure if Clonezilla did a god job) or not connecting any drive at all I only get radio functionality, no CD playback and it displays

SWID_PCM3HDD. Status
SWID:PCM31...... INVALID

as well as some red light I can see light up behind the PCM unit.
Either the cloning was not a complete success or your original hdd is failing and has a number of bad sectors. Either way, even a single error during cloning could potentially prevent normal operation

You can try cloning your friends pcm 3.1 hdd but you could end up messing that hdd too.. anyway I suspect you will not get the maps unless both of you have.the same map version ..

You can build a new ssd or hdd from scratch as per my earlier post..look at option 3.. you will get back all functionality except maps.. you need to burn the iso for the 4.76 update disk into a dvd .. but if you plan to reuse your ssd that is already failed cloning, then you have to do a low level format..else the problems will persist.. if unsure buy a new ssd and follow the steps..

Old 12-30-2020, 06:23 AM
911DE
7th Gear

Either the cloning was not a complete success or your original hdd is failing and has a number of bad sectors. Either way, even a single error during cloning could potentially prevent normal operation

You can try cloning your friends pcm 3.1 hdd but you could end up messing that hdd too.. anyway I suspect you will not get the maps unless both of you have.the same map version ..

You can build a new ssd or hdd from scratch as per my earlier post..look at option 3.. you will get back all functionality except maps.. you need to burn the iso for the 4.76 update disk into a dvd .. but if you plan to reuse your ssd that is already failed cloning, then you have to do a low level format..else the problems will persist.. if unsure buy a new ssd and follow the steps..
So I have a risk of damaging his HDD with Clonezilla? I mean I don't like Clonezilla at all, nothing but frustration the past 2 days unfortunately.

I guess I will leave maps then and just go for a stable PCM for music.

What do you mean with low level format? As in format the SSD again to delivery state? No problem.

Burning that ISO is also no issue. What exactly do I do with that? Insert into PCM with empty SSD?

Or "rebuild" SSD first? I feel a bit overwhelmed with Post 24 and where I should start. I am relatively tech savy, but Clonezilla and the windows laptop I have borrowed have not behaved nicely and I don't have hours on hand unfortunately.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:13 AM
FOBioPatel
Rennlist Member

Once you clone a damaged HDD to a new SSD, you are stilly copying messed up portions identically (or skipping them) on the SSD. So the software is still going to glitch out. If you have a PCM 3.1, you have to run the firmware update.

Originally Posted by flgfish
This ISO appears to be a copy of a Porsche DVD with part number WKD95280017
Name: pcm_20150721.iso
Size: 4579524608 bytes (4367 MiB)
SHA256: D19C34FBC9247CEA30E79D5939F4A0EFEADC8ADB3AF87B7F10B1CC6292C2B021

My unit still rebooted even with the cloned SSD. Not wanting to wait for Jan 2 for my appointment at the dealership to update the firmware, another kind rennlist user (flgfish) has linked to the ISO file, which can be used to burn to a DVD-R disc, and update the firmware.

This video makes it seem like it is a trivial process once you've made the DVD:

I took the car to the roof of my parking deck, so I had an unobstructed Sirius XM signal, in case that was necessary during the firmware update. I pressed Sound + Info together to get to the screen where I could see the Firmware Version (4.73) and serial number of my PCM unit. Upon inserting the DVD, I pressed "Confirm" to begin the process. It reboots on its own several times once the update begins, and at one point, it booted into the "Emergency Recovery" mode and ejected the DVD. It begins a countdown at this time, from 20, as it looks for the DVD again. I re-inserted the DVD, and it proceeded with the Emergency Recovery. The entire process took 25 minutes.

My maps load up fine after reinstalling the PCM 3.1 firmware. And the Sound+Info diagnostics readout for "SWID_PCM31HDD" no longer shows Invalid. I won't have to go to the dealership to get this resolved, after all.

Last edited by FOBioPatel; 12-30-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:16 AM
FOBioPatel
Rennlist Member

i would not clone your friend's pcm 3.1 hdd and put it into your car, your maps won't work, because they're tied to the vin of your friend's car. you're *almost* done with your cloned SSD, just reinstall your pcm 3.1 firmware with the ISO posted above. Don't run this ISO if you don't have a PCM 3.1

Last edited by FOBioPatel; 12-30-2020 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
911DE (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:12 PM
911DE
7th Gear

Originally Posted by FOBioPatel
i would not clone your friend's pcm 3.1 hdd and put it into your car, your maps won't work, because they're tied to the vin of your friend's car. you're *almost* done with your cloned SSD, just reinstall your pcm 3.1 firmware with the ISO posted above. Don't run this ISO if you don't have a PCM 3.1
Thank you. We almost gave up after hours of no results. I "cloned" the SSD again, still invalid. I already had the ISO downloaded, so burned and inserted it. Piece of cake, and quick!, especially in comparison to the long Clonezilla frustrations

Thank you for the video, I was not expecting that person to film the entire thing . Update only did 1 HDD module update for me, I assume the rest of modules was up to date from dealer. Also thanks for the reboot remark. My PCM shut down mid update and did nothing. After a minute I dared to touch the power button due to your comment and it went into the mentioned emergency mode. It completed that after a restart with only 1 error I believe and for now the PCM seems to run stable (no crash in 15 minutes of driving and listening) Radio and CD works, Navigation still displaying "loading" with no map data.

Bluetooth phone connection, Aux and iPod functionality to be tested - but I am hopeful.

So I guess now it's time to get map update DVDs and that specific VIN USB to restore the PCM to the full glory?

So thank you all, especially @kari for your comments and suggestions.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:38 PM
FOBioPatel
Rennlist Member

the dealer will have a map dvd that matches what is licensed for your car and re-install it. you could wait until your next scheduled service and lump it into that job, since they will have the car at that time anyway. it probably shouldn't take them more than 30 to 60 minutes to run the maps DVD.
The following users liked this post:
911DE (12-30-2020)
Old 01-04-2021, 06:20 PM
Panda88
5th Gear

Hi
Is it possible to run the update dvd from a USB dongle rather than DVD - i.e. move the iso image to a usb dongle and plug it in the car?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:50 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Panda88
Hi
Is it possible to run the update dvd from a USB dongle rather than DVD - i.e. move the iso image to a usb dongle and plug it in the car?
Yes it is, also a more reliable method vs DVD
Old 01-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Yes it is, also a more reliable method vs DVD
I tried it from a USB stick with no success. Burned the DVD with slow speed to a know brand dvd (Verbatim) and it worked like a charm. Even drove around while updating… :-)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:41 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
I tried it from a USB stick with no success. Burned the DVD with slow speed to a know brand dvd (Verbatim) and it worked like a charm. Even drove around while updating… :-)
If you read back up the thread only some USB sticks work

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD