Picking up the 997tt this Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016 | 12:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Congrats with the new purchase.. Did you purchase the car blind? Pre Purchase Inspection? Going thru the car history over a beer is "cool" until you find out that the rear hydraulic wing cylinder is leaking. Another quick check for Pentosin leaking that requires the front under hood plastic to be removed for the clutch slave cylinder failure. Rear tires cording on the inside of the tread. Putting a PIWIS or shop diagnostic device to check for any stored or soft codes such as misfires.
Old 02-12-2016 | 01:11 PM
Dstutler
Pro

My only advice on the trip is to use the cruise control as much as you can. There's something wrong with the brain of these cars - they just wanna keep going faster.
Old 02-12-2016 | 02:16 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by 996_soon
Its nice knowing you also did a 800 mile trip and enjoyed it very much! I'll take pictures and post them upon my arrival at home. I'm hoping I do not have to open the engine lid as well, but I'll have oil with me just in case. Wow, you hit 185 mph ? Even with the K40 in the car, I can't even imagine hitting that speed. That must of been awesome! Nice picture BTW.
Remember: There is not the Death Penalty for speeding in the United States. However, some States will CRUSH your car for speeds over 100MPH. Insult to injury, they'll make you watch...OH NO!!!!
While in the USAF, in 2005 I had the privilege of being stationed in the beautiful country of Germany. I couldn't afford a Porsche, but did have a BMW 5 Series that topped out at 230KPH (142MPH). While traveling on the Autobahn there are certain areas that you can run wide open. So, yes I did run wide open...and enjoyed every second, ensuring I had one eye on the road and one on the rear view mirror. AND unless you're passing a slower car, you'd better keep your tail in the right lane, otherwise, you'll **** off the VW TDI GOLF (?) that's coming up on you. My BWM getting outrun by a VW GOLF Those VW suckers are fast!!!
One night, I did get passed by a Porsche 911, not sure which model...but it "rocked" my entire car to the point I nearly left the road. The 911 had to be going close to 200MPH.
BTW: At night it's especially difficult to judge cars overtaking you at those high speeds.
I will say that when there's a high speed accident, you can't determine what type of car/s it was...usually there's no piece bigger than a dishwasher left behind, as if the car car exploded over a half mile area...very tragic!!!
I miss my days in Europe, however the wife and I are going to Germany in June for a vacation. Wonder how I lease one of those fast-*** VW GOLFs,
BTW: I never passed an Ausfahrt that didn't bring a smile...JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 02-12-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2016 | 02:43 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
Congrats with the new purchase.. Did you purchase the car blind? Pre Purchase Inspection? Going thru the car history over a beer is "cool" until you find out that the rear hydraulic wing cylinder is leaking. Another quick check for Pentosin leaking that requires the front under hood plastic to be removed for the clutch slave cylinder failure. Rear tires cording on the inside of the tread. Putting a PIWIS or shop diagnostic device to check for any stored or soft codes such as misfires.
Thanks Kevin! Yes, there was a ppi done on 1/13. Based on the inspection results, the radiators were replaced as well as 4 new tires installed. The rear wing is operating normally. The engine (signs of leaks), trans/drivetrain, coolant, suspension, tires, exhaust, battery, and body were all inspected. The DME scan was also posted on the sales ad. I think I have done enough due diligence, and even then nothing is guaranteed from a ppi. There are two local indy shops, one of which has been mentioned and recommended here on RL, that I plan to take my car to for any recommended maintenance. At this point, I'm just ready to bring it home.
Old 02-12-2016 | 03:13 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Like I said, Congrats.. Enjoy the trip home.. There was no mention in the thread about the service history or PPI.. Getting the owner to replace the radiator and tires is a "plus" and fills in the "check marks" for repairs that you don't need to do!

As John has mentioned, and others.. Set your cruise control. When going across the US 4 mph over the posted speed limit is the norm. Certain state love the speeding tickets revenue.. I always seem to get pulled over in Kansas, and Wyoming!
Old 02-12-2016 | 03:19 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
Like I said, Congrats.. Enjoy the trip home.. There was no mention in the thread about the service history or PPI.. Getting the owner to replace the radiator and tires is a "plus" and fills in the "check marks" for repairs that you don't need to do!

As John has mentioned, and others.. Set your cruise control. When going across the US 4 mph over the posted speed limit is the norm. Certain state love the speeding tickets revenue.. I always seem to get pulled over in Kansas, and Wyoming!
Thanks again for making sure I did my homework. The ppi and recent services were in the sales ad on RL.

I will set my cruise control and avoid any racers, last thing I want is a speeding ticket. It will damper my valentines date with the car.
Old 02-13-2016 | 03:17 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Safe travels tomorrow Amigo!!! We'll be waiting for the pics....
Are we there yet, are we there yet?!?!?
JB
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:06 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Wil just picked it up sad to see it gone...
Attached Images    
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Wow, gorgeous pictures. I'm sure he's LOVING your car.
Old 02-14-2016 | 11:41 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Congrats on your Turbo purchase! That's a beautiful car, I looked at that for sale post a bunch of times, love the color combo. Safe travels!
Old 02-15-2016 | 01:12 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Default Update...

At around 400+ miles into my trip yesterday, the "Check Coolant" level light came on so I immediately pulled off to the next exit, which was in Ridgeland, SC. I was able to park the car at some little motel so it would be easier for the tow truck to back into. The seller helped me get the car towed back to NC. I did not want to keep filling the tank as it just kept leaking. It was hard to tell where it was coming from even with a flashlight. It was cold and dark outside. The temp gauge never moved but something was not right obviously for the light to come on.

So, the car is at the indy shop waiting to be looked at tomorrow. With the snow/ice we got this morning, some of the techs did not come in today. But, they will get to the bottom of it and give the car another look over. I just feel more comfortable with the car here in Raleigh verse leaving it in SC where I'm not familiar with the area or know of any indy's. More importantly, I made it home safe.

Aside from all that, the car was driving solid and I was enjoying every single minute . I just stayed in the right lane cruising in 6th gear the whole time with cruise control. Even though coolant leaked, things could have been worse, and I'm a proud to be a owner of a 997tt. I love the car already and I will do my best to take care of it. Below is a pic of the car in front of the motel waiting to be loaded on the flatbed. I will post the findings once I hear from the indy. Thanks again to the seller for helping me get home.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2016 | 01:19 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you have a waterpump leak
Old 02-15-2016 | 01:47 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Bad luck , sorry to read that. At least you got the car home !
Old 02-15-2016 | 02:49 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Sorry to hear about the glitch, but you and the car made it home safely. Hopefully it's fixed soon and you will be enjoying your beautiful new Porsche! Keep us posted.
Old 02-15-2016 | 05:17 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

if its a waterpump, that's an easy fix.

All of a sudden, your car became aircooled.

Quick Reply: Picking up the 997tt this Sunday