Picking up the 997tt this Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:27 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up the 997tt this Sunday

Hey everyone,

My search came to an end after finally deciding on an 07 997tt that was listed here on RL by "ljpviper" After multiple calls, texts, and emails with the seller, I flew into FL on Tuesday morning to meet the seller and the p-car. I couldn't believe how awesome it looked in person, better yet, the way it drove. It was my first time driving a 997tt. After going over the car with the seller, we went to a local place to grab a bite to eat and had a couple of drinks to talk more p-cars and etc. The next day, I flew back to NC and closed the deal after liking what I saw. The seller was great to work with and has been very responsive and cooperative till this day. I give all the credit to RL for helping me along the way and providing feedback on a couple of p-cars I was considering.

So, I will be flying back this Sunday (wife is totally cool its on Valentines) to drive the car back home, which is ~840 miles. I did think about having it shipped for $1100, but I have the time to drive it back and I figure what better way to get to know your car?

For anyone who has made trips over 500 miles in their 997tt, what tips would you offer? I have driven 24 hours over a weekend before (PA to IN) but in a Tacoma. So, I'm expecting this trip to be way different.

I will be taking pictures during my trip and posting them here once I get home.

Side note: My rental (Toyota Yaris) broke down on Tuesday on the FL Turnpike after tons of smoke starting coming out of the exhaust. Possibly too much oil? The car started to sputter and I had to pull over. After waiting 1.5 hrs for a tow truck and getting another rental free of charge of course, I realized I didn't have enough time to check out the car and fly back home Tuesday night. I had to change my flight for Wednesday morning and book a hotel near the airport. I was not prepared to stay overnight. Anyway, I survived and things could have been worse.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amigo,
No advise except the normal stuff.. check the belts, fluid levels, tires, etc...might want to have an extra quart or two of oil with you....a tire guage is always good to have just in case...and a dang good flashlight and some shop towels.
Everything from Mustangs to Mini Coopers will want race you, Grandmothers included...DON'T do it.
Get your beautiful new toy home in one piece with no citations.
CONGRATS!!! And Well Done!!!
JB
Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 PM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Amigo,
No advise except the normal stuff.. check the belts, fluid levels, tires, etc...might want to have an extra quart or two of oil with you....a tire guage is always good to have just in case...and a dang good flashlight and some shop towels.
Everything from Mustangs to Mini Coopers will want race you, Grandmothers included...DON'T do it.
Get your beautiful new toy home in one piece with no citations.
CONGRATS!!! And Well Done!!!
JB
Thanks JB for the tips! I never received a speeding ticket or driving citation in 20 years of driving so far and I don't plan on getting my first one this weekend.

I will check the fluid levels at each gas fillup station. I'm looking forward to the trip. So far, the weather route is clear from FL to NC.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:08 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by 996_soon
Thanks JB for the tips! I never received a speeding ticket or driving citation in 20 years of driving so far and I don't plan on getting my first one this weekend.

I will check the fluid levels at each gas fillup station. I'm looking forward to the trip. So far, the weather route is clear from FL to NC.
I just got to my place at Emerald Isle NC...down from DC for the holiday. There is light snow for tomorrow in Eastern NC, suppose to be nice Sunday. Where in NC are you heading? I do like the exterior and interior colors...very classic Porsche!!! Safe travels!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:17 AM
996_soon
Instructor

I just got to my place at Emerald Isle NC...down from DC for the holiday. There is light snow for tomorrow in Eastern NC, suppose to be nice Sunday. Where in NC are you heading? I do like the exterior and interior colors...very classic Porsche!!! Safe travels!!!
I'm about 30 miles NE of Raleigh, NC. Thanks, its what attracted me to the car. I've had variations of silver ext. before but never terracotta int. In the pics, it looks brighter than in person. I'm glad I saw it in person.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:27 AM
johnbelk
Pro

I'm about 30 miles NE of Raleigh, NC. Thanks, its what attracted me to the car. I've had variations of silver ext. before but never terracotta int. In the pics, it looks brighter than in person. I'm glad I saw it in person.
Well, you done good. Hope your kids love it too...pretty cool to be dropped off at school in Dad's Porsche!!!
Make sure you check for the car's tool kit under the hood and for God Sakes make sure that he gives you the locking lug key...it should be under the front mat with the tool kit.
Do you know how to check the oil level...there is no dipstick? JB
Old 02-12-2016, 07:07 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats ! You'll love the car , I'm sure.
I bought my second 997tt in Italy which was 1300km from my home.
Left around midday and by midnight I was home. On of the best trips ever !
Enjoy yours and take pictures, it'll be a great memory !

On my trip I did not even open engine lid. Had nothing special with me.
Just started the car and drove off. All went perfect, I even hit 300kmh in Germany.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:45 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Congrats!!!

Nothing to add in the way of advice, just some extra oil and keep your eye on the speedometer! After a while anything below 100 mph will seem like walking speed...

I remember my trip from Berlin to Stockholm when I bought mine. It was one of the best days ever!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 08:48 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Well, you done good. Hope your kids love it too...pretty cool to be dropped off at school in Dad's Porsche!!!
Make sure you check for the car's tool kit under the hood and for God Sakes make sure that he gives you the locking lug key...it should be under the front mat with the tool kit.
Do you know how to check the oil level...there is no dipstick? JB
Thanks again JB. Next weekend, I have a daddy/daughter dance function with my 5 yr daughter. It will be nice to take her in the p-car. She'll get a kick out of it. But I'm looking forward to taking the kids out on a nice drive on the back-roads here in NC.

As for checking the oil, yes, in fact, it was one of the things we went over when we looked over the car together. I'll refresh my memory before taking off.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:58 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by TT-911
Congrats ! You'll love the car , I'm sure.
I bought my second 997tt in Italy which was 1300km from my home.
Left around midday and by midnight I was home. On of the best trips ever !
Enjoy yours and take pictures, it'll be a great memory !

On my trip I did not even open engine lid. Had nothing special with me.
Just started the car and drove off. All went perfect, I even hit 300kmh in Germany.
Its nice knowing you also did a 800 mile trip and enjoyed it very much! I'll take pictures and post them upon my arrival at home. I'm hoping I do not have to open the engine lid as well, but I'll have oil with me just in case. Wow, you hit 185 mph ? Even with the K40 in the car, I can't even imagine hitting that speed. That must of been awesome! Nice picture BTW.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Congrats!!!
Nothing to add in the way of advice, just some extra oil and keep your eye on the speedometer! After a while anything below 100 mph will seem like walking speed...

I remember my trip from Berlin to Stockholm when I bought mine. It was one of the best days ever!!!
Thanks for the tips. How long was that trip from Berlin to Stockholm?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM
AngelsTransport
Former Vendor

Default Transport Cost

Enjoy your drive. Sounds like fun. Our office would have quoted you $850.00 to transport that from FL to NC, you can get great rates on that particular route right now enclosed. However, sounds like you have a sweetheart date set up, and that is always the better choice.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Thanks for the tips. How long was that trip from Berlin to Stockholm?

It was around 1100 km. Made it in about 19 hours including 2 hours on the ferry and a few pit stops. Only made it to 270 km/h on the autobahn before chickening out...
Old 02-12-2016, 09:48 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by AngelsTransport
Enjoy your drive. Sounds like fun. Our office would have quoted you $850.00 to transport that from FL to NC, you can get great rates on that particular route right now enclosed. However, sounds like you have a sweetheart date set up, and that is always the better choice.
Thanks, I'll make sure to reach out to your office next time I consider vehicle transport.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:52 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
It was around 1100 km. Made it in about 19 hours including 2 hours on the ferry and a few pit stops. Only made it to 270 km/h on the autobahn before chickening out...
Sounds like it was an interesting trip. Reaching 167 mph is still a rush, I personally never reached those speeds. I would love the opportunity to drive on the autobahn. I believe Texas has a highway where the speed limit is 85? On my route the limit is 60 - 70 mph.

Quick Reply: Picking up the 997tt this Sunday