997TT Air Intake Leak help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
renntech36
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997TT Air Intake Leak help

Hello guys,

I have an 08 Turbo with a decent amount of modifications done to it. I bought the car mostly modified, and have added a few things. Since adding them, my car throws a code P2279 which is "Air Intake Leak". From this, (I believe), I am also getting faults for Bank 1 and Bank 2 Running Lean off Idle. I have cleared the codes, but they always come back within 1-2 days.

Can anyone give me some insight to where I can start looking for the leaks?

My car has:
EVOMS Tune
Champion Headers
Tubi Race Exhaust (no Cats)
WERKS inlet piping and IC hoses
BMC Filter

After I bought the car, I installed:

IPD Plenum
82mm throttle body
IPD Y-Pipe

I love the car, and can't wait to get it fully sorted!!!!!

PS- Those HRE P40's, tires, sensors are for sale

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by renntech36

Can anyone give me some insight to where I can start looking for the leaks?
IMO you should find the leak from here:

Originally Posted by renntech36
After I bought the car, I installed:

IPD Plenum
82mm throttle body
IPD Y-Pipe

In other words, either one of the Y-pipe's rubber connecting pieces is not properly aligned or has a loose clamp, TB's gasket is not in it's place or one of hose connections behind the plenum is loose.
Get a about a meter of 4mm ID silicone tube, put one end of it to your ear and guide the other end towards each TB's connection at a time listening for an increasing hissing sound, engine idling. <-- The crude way. The hifi-way is to buy a mechanic's stetoscope.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:03 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

not to be a dick bag, but I'd take my car to my buddy who is a Master P-car technician.

Sorry for those that don't have that kind of relationship and are scared to go to the dealer. Not that doing it yourself is a problem > I just don't think this is a big problem, but you'll spend more time here and chasing your untrained ***.

GL
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I'd be laying bets on the coupling (2 each) between the intake manifolds and your new IPD plenum.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
renntech36
Instructor

Update Guys-

So I found that BOTH of my MAF's were not screwed it, and were "floating". I instantly screwed the 4 scres into place, and figured this was my problem. Mentally, I felt like the car was running smoother, and better.

I drove the car about 40 miles, and just now the check engine light returned. I have not diagnosed it yet, but I am sure it is the same code.

I put the car on a lift, checked all of the Werks hosing on the car, and everything seemed secure and tight. I am guessing that it is vacuum line related somewhere, or where you guys said, the plenum.

Any other thoughts? I will check the plenum tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also check your connection hose from your throttle body to your Y pipe.. Unfortunetly IPDs replacement hose it not the best design (the OEM is the best) and can leak. Especially with the mods you have. Make sure it is seated properly on both ends and the clamps are in the proper place.. I had so many problems blowing mine off I went back to the stock throttle body and OEM hose..
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Staff@WORLD
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 218 Likes on 129 Posts

You should probably go to someone that has a smoke machine and get the car tested. These leaks can come from anywhere between the mass air flow sensor and the o2 sensor and cause a problem. Sometimes they can be hard to find without the correct tools to find them. Good luck and let me know what you find.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were you I would take the plenum off and go back to stock... The IPD hose for the TB to the Y pipe is questionable and is prone to leaks (ask me how I know) Compare their hose to the OEM hose and you will see how much engineering went into the Porsche part and and how little in the Aftermarket piece. I hate to say it but the plenum and TB is a waste of money. I bet if you go back to your stock plenum and TB your problem will go away... You can always sell the IPD stuff.. Just my experience...

Quick Reply: 997TT Air Intake Leak help