Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Lotus Elise/Exige owners here? Looking for opinion on TT

Hey all

I left the Porsche world for a few years (left with an 84 Carerra with a protomotive turbo) and have/had a Lotus Elise with a supercharger. The car has really been all smiles for me, but is just so impractical that I never drive it. I have two sons under 11, and I am a "good" father/husband, and am very involved in their lives. #1 Son is a gearhead and is my frequent companion in the car. My wife has only been in the car when we bought it, it just doesn't seem to work out... ever. The 05 lotus has under 4K miles on it.

Anyhow, I re-fell in love with the 911 with the 997. I am also aware that I will be able to take the kids and enjoy the car as a family (kids are 4' now and around/under 60 lbs). I will be keeping the open car feeling by selecting a cabriolet, which is very important to me.

So, I am wondering, anyone here move from/still own a Lotus and can offer some feelings on the 997 turbo by comparison? I am aiming for the 08 turbo cab, but at around 90-100K I may just pick up a fully depreciated low mile 996 turbo cab instead. My ideal car was something italian (Gallardo spyder or 360 spider), but I now realize that my nearest support is a 3-4 hour round trip away. There are many porsche options, including dealers and independents within 30-60 minutes of me. I would also be able to get something with a warranty remaining, versus the Ferrari that may not have any options.

Here's the Lotus. BTW, it's for sale in CT at a reasonable price (we have one low offer), PM me for details.

Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I have twin 4 year olds that love riding in the back of my 997tt coupe. The visibility for them in the back is outstanding and they love the car. I think while a cab is tighter in back the open air experience would be tremendous
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

My boys, 10 & 12 still ride back there, although my oldest is more comfortable up front. For short trips it's no problem at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't owned the Elise, but spent time driving one. These are two completely different animals. I hated driving the Elise on public roads, just way too uncomfortable - I can definitely see why they would be a blast on the track. The 997TT is an awesome road car, but not necessarily a car I would want to take to the track. The Porsche is way more livable on a day-to-day basis.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have owned an Elise. I currently have 09 911 turbo and Exige S240. My 13 year old fits fine in the the back of the 911. The Exige is more of a sports car, the turbo feels like it is twice the weight. No comparison as far as the drive. You lose a lot of the nimbleness in the turbo, but you get ridiculous speed, comfort, and decent handling. I also have regular 997 carrera which I think is a better compromise, it is nimble and quick enough. I prefer it to the turbo because of its lighter feel, better throttle response. You should even consider a Carrera or Carrera S.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One reason I love the 911, my kids will have great memories of riding in the back. I know that doesn't help you comparing to a Lotus, but just had to share.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a 997TT. I was passenger for an afternoon in one of those lotus jobbers. It was a rattling experience in the passenger's seat. As I remember it these are two different worlds. Assuming public roads and a desire for brute power, Porsche handling and a 40-something comfort expectation: Turbo can't be beat.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks all for the replies!

Originally Posted by texas911
One reason I love the 911, my kids will have great memories of riding in the back. I know that doesn't help you comparing to a Lotus, but just had to share.
Hah, you hit it there. I have very fond memories of my Dad's Austin Healty 3000 2+2 sitting in the back. My kids love my cars, but it's strange to have to split them up.

Originally Posted by Riz
I have owned an Elise. I currently have 09 911 turbo and Exige S240. My 13 year old fits fine in the the back of the 911. The Exige is more of a sports car, the turbo feels like it is twice the weight. No comparison as far as the drive. You lose a lot of the nimbleness in the turbo, but you get ridiculous speed, comfort, and decent handling. I also have regular 997 carrera which I think is a better compromise, it is nimble and quick enough. I prefer it to the turbo because of its lighter feel, better throttle response. You should even consider a Carrera or Carrera S.
Thanks, this has been very helpful. Having less of a financial strain with a used Carrera S might be welcome as the nimble-footedness that comes with it. I just stopped and looked at one today
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, Leesie is officially gone & paid for. I now need to consider my options, which is the more fun part of things. I really would love an 06 gallardo or 04 360 spider, but I don't think I can be that selfish. If anyone has a line on an 08/09 turbo cab, please let me know
Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimately you will love the turbo more over any Ferrari or Lambo. Way more livable day to day. Now if you want to turn heads you know what to do. But when it comes to daily driving and retention in value there is nothing better than a porsche.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Now if you want to turn heads you know what to do. .
Yeh, put on an aftermarket sports exhaust!!

Quick Reply: Any Lotus Elise/Exige owners here? Looking for opinion on TT