Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM
RPMert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Turbo. There's no turning back. You *will* be assimilated.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In purchasing any car, a simple analysis of the costs of ownership is always a good idea. You will need to project your miles of use & how long you will keep the car. The following items need to be included in the calculation (this is for a purchase vehicle, but lease is similar):
-Cost of vehicle & taxes.
-Down payment & trade-in value.
-Monthly payments.
-Insurance & registration/inspection fees.
-Maintenance & repairs, according to manufacture requirements & your preferences.
-Upgrades & aftermarket enhancements.
-Fuel.
-Salvage value at end of ownership period.

Put these all together and you will have your total cost over the life of the car, aside from accident or theft.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

You need about $2 per mile to drive a newly purchased, moderately optioned TT about 15K miles per year. Buy used or drive less, DIY a little, YMMV.

It was $1.22 per mile on my previous 993 C2S, bought new.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

You need about $2 per mile to drive a newly purchased, moderately optioned TT about 15K miles per year. Buy used or drive less, DIY a little, YMMV.

It was $1.22 per mile on my previous 993 C2S, bought new. Apologies for the accidental double post.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Thanks for the feed back. I really appreciate it.

I wanted to put forward some points specifically on the how much money in wealth or income should someone have to feel comfortable getting a TT to add some background to what I am asking.

1. I have lots of friends, but none of them have even half as much money/income as I have. So, I don't have people that I can get feedback from.

2. I remember when I was in high school I saw someone with a brand new SL mercedes living in an average apartment. That made an impression on me - I never want to be dumb (IMHO) like that.

My question is really more a what does the average TT owner - hopefully someone with some amount of means - thinks is enough to buy a TT. For example, "Spending 2% of your wealth on cars is a good rule of thumb" or "If you are spending more than 5% of your income annualy on cars your spending too much." For example, I would think someone with only 2M in the bank and no other assets, should not be buying a bugatti veyron for 1M (IMHO).
Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I would say if you have enough discretionary assets go for it. I would not stretch to afford it, get a nice used 996tt.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
"Dont bother with NA 911, if you can afford a turbo. NO comparison!!"

Uh, I'd take a GT3 any day over a Turbo, I've had many examples of both...
Roger that.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Zipgun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Dibble
Thanks for the feed back. I really appreciate it.

I wanted to put forward some points specifically on the how much money in wealth or income should someone have to feel comfortable getting a TT to add some background to what I am asking.

1. I have lots of friends, but none of them have even half as much money/income as I have. So, I don't have people that I can get feedback from.

2. I remember when I was in high school I saw someone with a brand new SL mercedes living in an average apartment. That made an impression on me - I never want to be dumb (IMHO) like that.

My question is really more a what does the average TT owner - hopefully someone with some amount of means - thinks is enough to buy a TT. For example, "Spending 2% of your wealth on cars is a good rule of thumb" or "If you are spending more than 5% of your income annualy on cars your spending too much." For example, I would think someone with only 2M in the bank and no other assets, should not be buying a bugatti veyron for 1M (IMHO).
Nothing personal and don't take this the wrong way but... Your post is kinda ridiculous. Even after all the replies etc.. Your still asking the same questions. To me it sounds like you want to know how much of an income TT owners have and or how much they spend. Something I'm pretty sure most people won't tell you. Or you have a set amount saved and want to know how much 'of it' to spend. Did you win the lottery or something?

Sorry IMO a TT is just a car, but your analyzing as tho it were a multi-billion dollar business merger. A person buying this type car is no different than a person who buys a honda, the only thing different is the $ amounts. If you can afford to buy one, buy one if not don't. What I'm saying is, it's your life and your money etc.. Only you can know how much you can spend or afford.

LOL I didn't go this in depth even when buying a house.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I remember taking a Porsche test about 2 years ago; they concluded that the average household income for a Porsche client was about $525k annually.

Then again that was 2 years ago. -ouch!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Billy- what happened to your 997S that you bought a while back?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Billy- what happened to your 997S that you bought a while back?
I still have it. 30K miles runs great *grin*
Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I remember taking a Porsche test about 2 years ago; they concluded that the average household income for a Porsche client was about $525k annually.

Then again that was 2 years ago. -ouch!
Thanks this was kind of what I was looking for...but just for Turbos not Porsche in general...actually can that be right? Think of all the boxters and SUVs they have sold...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Dibble
Thanks this was kind of what I was looking for...but just for Turbos not Porsche in general...actually can that be right? Think of all the boxters and SUVs they have sold...
That's a snap shot of the entire spectrum.

The person whom looks at C2's and C2S (new) generally speaking- can also afford a Turbo (new).

Most Porsche clients pay cash. If you're shelling out $80,90,110 in cash. You can easily afford a Turbo.

Relatively speaking; it's not about price of said car with regards to Porsche (or any car for that matter)

It's about a percieved value.

If you think that a $90k C2S with PDK and Sport Chrono is just plain fast enough, and unique enough or WHAT EVER is your buying motivator- you'll hand over said money.

HOwever if you see a Porsche Turbo and then drive it and say to yourself- "Gawd I gotta have one"- then there's your percieved value.

Billy, I think what the gang is trying to say to you in a very, adult, educated and logical sense is:

BUY FOR YOU. YOU and only YOU can tell if car XX will put financial stress on you owning it or not. Not the market. Not your friends. Not your buddies. Not what your brother in law says nor the Rennlist community.

Take one for a drive. Drive a new 911. work the number and see where or at what number you 'fall in love'.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
cgng30
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zipgun
Nothing personal and don't take this the wrong way but... Your post is kinda ridiculous. Even after all the replies etc.. Your still asking the same questions. To me it sounds like you want to know how much of an income TT owners have and or how much they spend. Something I'm pretty sure most people won't tell you. Or you have a set amount saved and want to know how much 'of it' to spend. Did you win the lottery or something?

Sorry IMO a TT is just a car, but your analyzing as tho it were a multi-billion dollar business merger. A person buying this type car is no different than a person who buys a honda, the only thing different is the $ amounts. If you can afford to buy one, buy one if not don't. What I'm saying is, it's your life and your money etc.. Only you can know how much you can spend or afford.

LOL I didn't go this in depth even when buying a house.
LOL, you hit it right on zipgun . I myself did not think much about when i recently bought my 2007 turbo for 115 k, I am an engineer so i am not rich but I do ok. i took a small loan towards the car, so my monthly paymements are lower. I traded my 2005 c2 for a precertified 2007 tt. I am in to cars, and I know it was probably not the best move, but you only live once. every thing depriciates!! the only thing i wish is if i could waited few more months, i could have got it for little chepaer, but then again i could not have found this car.
it has
6000 miles
speed yelow
pccb
sport shifter
lsd
heated seats
chrono
supple leather
park assist
xm radio
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the question is that crazy. "Affordable" means different things to different people - some folks think a nice car that is priced at 99% of their net worth is affordable, while others may think a car priced at 1% of their net worth is not affordable.

Fortunately I have a wonderful wife who keeps my toy spending at sane levels - our general rule is will the purchase of a toy (and a $100K+ car is a toy in our opinion) have any significant effect on our lifestyle or our financial well-being? If not, no problem in purchasing the toy, and we always pay cash.

Quick Reply: How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?