Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why don't you buy a used 997TT. They are dropping in price like crazy. You can get one for about 100k to 110k. If you can afford a 997.2CS(new) then used turbo is the way I would go..
Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
The person whom looks at C2's and C2S (new) generally speaking- can also afford a Turbo (new).
Bingo.

I always find that people who said if you can afford a turbo, just go for it and skip the N/A 911 to be naive.

Do they really think that people who is driving N/A 911s cannot afford a turbo?

I know too many people who are driving and owning N/A 911s to have much bigger net worth than people who are leasing their Ferrari or Lambo.

Unlikely the air-cooled generations, in the 997 lineup, the turbo is no longer the most desirable model. The GT3 is.

A turbo does nothing to me for street driving, any N/A 911s is more than adequate for street use.

For my track use, the turbo is at the bottom of the list.

Going back to the original question. I always pay cash for my toys and feel that they should represent less than 5% (or much lower) of a person's net worth.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

To me it really depends on what your needs are. Do you need or want a Turbo? Can you afford one? I paid cash for mine and would never imagine buying a "sports" car using loan payments because there's simply no value in doing that. Of course, there's the question whether there's even any value in buying a sports car in the first place.

As for choosing a Turbo or a GT3. It all comes down to personal preferences and what your needs are. I don't track but I do 95% of my spirited driving on back roads. I wanted the comfort and security that the Turbo. For me, I managed to find a compromise between having a Turbo and a GT3 by upgrading my suspension to coilovers, sways, and droplinks. Best of both worlds. I'm very satisfied. I know that no matter what I do it will never be a GT3.

I recently had a conversation with one of the instructors at PSDS about whether a GT3 or a Turbo would perform better on the Barber Motorsport track in Birmingham and his answer surprised me. Given identical tires on either one, they'd perform equally as well. Now I'm not sure I really believe that but I recently rode in a 997 GT3 around a hot lap with Hurley Haywood and I came away absolutely BLOWN away. Several leagues above what I'd imagined the C2 or even C2S could do.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the same general advice as everyone else. I also buy 911s with cash, never a loan or lease. I might lease if I still owned my own businesses.

I have both a modified 997 TT and 997 GT3RS Cubsport (factory cage, seats, etc-my 2nd now). I think that saying one is better than another is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. The GT3RS has a nice, high reving engine, with great track agility - close to a dedicated 911 track car. The TT has big torque, and with a few sensible mods (especially suspension), it makes a perfect street car, and highly competitive at the track. My wife likes to drive and track both...

Whenever I am seduced by the Ferrari and Lambos, I drive them and wonder how well they will perform as a daily driver. Then I get back into my 911 and drive off...
Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Guys I think the point is being lost. It's really simple.

The person whom can pay cash for a C2S, C4S is also a Turbo buyer. Each individual dictates what their financially comfortable with and ties that in with their 'percieved value'.

Also one must keep in mind different financial abilities. I have clients whom have paid for in cash all the above. And I have clients whom have leased/fiananced all the above.

I have a client whom has financed each and every car- from 599 GTB's, Lambos, GT2's ect ect.

Their personal philosiphy is; if he's not going to keep it for any length of time, why use HIS cash when he can use someone elses.

And on the same token, on the flip side I have a client who's owned the same; but pays cash.

Therefore: EACH one of those clients can easily afford those cars. - They've worked the numbers to a point where it's important or non important to them.

I'm sure our friend here can easily afford the Turbo. I suspect it's an inner turmoil showing up in one to his friends house that's the real issue.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM
RSA333
Racer

Likemystoppie-

The guy who finances the car over even a short period of time is paying more whether he realizes it or not. You sound like a Sales Manager at a Porsche dealership. Good luck to you given the current state of the economy...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 AM
dk996tt
Instructor

You can probably pick up a 2007 Turbo with low low miles for close to 100K in this market.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by RSA333
Likemystoppie-

The guy who finances the car over even a short period of time is paying more whether he realizes it or not. You sound like a Sales Manager at a Porsche dealership. Good luck to you given the current state of the economy...
RSA- I am!!! So, I'll take that as a compliment! And guess what, the guy that I'm referencing who finances his cars, even over a short period of time- THAT was his decision. I actually told him he should pay cash FYI! But he's response to me was "I've just made XXX dollars sitting here talking to you. I could care less about the little interest I pay..."

As far as luck in this economy.......one doesn't need luck; just a solid plan and execution. My store sold 2 more cars for the month of October 2008 versus October 2007. Sky is falling? I'm sure it is. But I've prepared myself with a big umbrella.

Originally Posted by dk996tt
You can probably pick up a 2007 Turbo with low low miles for close to 100K in this market.
David you're spot on my friend!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 AM
jtpsocal
Instructor

You guys are missing the money factor- if you can acheive a greater return on the cash than your financing rate then your ahead. For example- I borrowed 100k on credit cards at a nominal rate over the last 8 months (less than 3%). I turned that 100k into 200k within that time and paid off the credit card before the rate adjusted- obviously I wasn't long the market....and no I didn't pay cash for my turbo for this very reason- I also dont pay my estimated taxes either for the same reasons.

I dont recommend this strategy to anyone else- but it works for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Anyone coming to the Rennlist for financial advice should be driving a Honda.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Huh??? Wait a minute..... I resemble that remark!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

I honestly think if you have to soul search as much as you are on this purchase I would not do it, stick with what you have... it is a fine car. You know in your heart of hearts if it is a stretch or not, my one word of advice is just listen to that little voice inside your head... it will usually be right.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You only live once. Decide what is important and go with it... I most certainly will NOT be the guy who is 75 and moaning "Oh I wish I had bought that Porsche when I was 40". As is evidenced lately, financial "security" is often not.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:59 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
i couldn't agree more
Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Dibble

"Spending 2% of your wealth on cars is a good rule of thumb" or "If you are spending more than 5% of your income annualy on cars your spending too much." For example, I would think someone with only 2M in the bank and no other assets, should not be buying a bugatti veyron for 1M (IMHO).
So if my math is correct, anyone who makes less than 2.7M shouldn't be looking at a 135K TT. And this is using above 5% rule. What?

So if I'm making 250K/yr and want to only spend 2% on a car then 50K is it for me. What?

Most folks spend considerably more then 2-5% on their cars. Right?

Quick Reply: How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?