Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?

I know this is a personal value judgment, but I am looking to hear people's perspectives. It might help me make up my mind - more importantly my wife's *grin*

I have had three 911 (C2, C4S, C2S) and I am looking a new one. I can get a 997.2 for 80-100K or I can get a turbo for 130-150K. For some reason I feel like a 100K is ok, but a 150K is "grossly" wasteful.

I would appreciate feed back on the following:

1. How much in either wealth or income is a good place (not minimum) where you think a person should feel comfortable getting a TT?

2. Did anyone notice the difference between a TT and a regular 911 - do I need to worry about people being pissed at me for gross consumption.

3. Any buyers remorse afterwords or are you now thinking about the 250K Ferrari?

Thanks in advanced for your thoughts.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billy Bob Dibble
Did anyone notice the difference between a TT and a regular 911
Like night and day...
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont bother with NA 911, if you can afford a turbo. NO comparison!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
OneManTX
Pro

1. How much in either wealth or income is a good place (not minimum) where you think a person should feel comfortable getting a TT?

2. Did anyone notice the difference between a TT and a regular 911 - do I need to worry about people being pissed at me for gross consumption.

3. Any buyers remorse afterwords or are you now thinking about the 250K Ferrari?
1. So many variables, hard to generalize, and posting my own data would be too personal for this forum, as you say. Let's say you are going to borrow for this car. First of all, you are going to trade/put enough down so you will never be upside down on this rapidly depreciating luxury item. Lets say you borrow 75K to buy the 997 over 4 years at 6% thats about $1800 monthly. Borrow 110K for the TT (you're going to put more down) that's $2600; will you miss $800 per month and do you have 40K versus 25K in cash or trade-in?

2. This one is easier. Your car-buddies and people who get on the interwebz might notice. When I got my TT, one of my employees said "I got online - it was about eighty seven." I said "no comment." A week or so later she said, OK, its a Turbo, I guess I was off by 60." Most people will just notice its a really expensive car, either way. IMHO, while the "regular" 997 is a great looking car, the TT is drop-dead sexy, and yeah, some people will know it has a price in the stratosphere. If that impresses them, I'm fine with that although its not why I drive the car. If it makes them jealous? Not my problem.

3. No. But one of my friends says he's getting a Gallardo now. I like to think I helped.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Dont bother with NA 911, if you can afford a turbo. NO comparison!!"

Uh, I'd take a GT3 any day over a Turbo, I've had many examples of both...
Old 11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
"Dont bother with NA 911, if you can afford a turbo. NO comparison!!"

Uh, I'd take a GT3 any day over a Turbo, I've had many examples of both...

He didn't ask about the GT3, but I would prefer the GT2 to the GT3 anyday.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:56 PM
DRG13
Pro

By default, he sorta did ask about a GT3, it would be grouped under his definition of "regular" and by default, it's grouped under your definition of "NA".

To each his own, but a blanket statement of going with a TT if you can afford it and that there is no comparison, well I'm sure many would disagree with that. All depends on what characteristics of a car you are looking for..My opinion is based on personally owning a 930 turbo, 2 996 TT's, 2 Ruf R-turbo's, 2 996 GT3's and 1 997 GT3...for me there is no comparison to a 997 GT3..but that's just me.

Quite frankly, Billy Bob's original post is ridiculous asking a group of strangers if he can afford a car or how he should "feel" about it purchasing it.

Last edited by DRG13; 11-10-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting to hear you say that after seeing you have owned so many different turbos. What is it about the 997GT3 that has won you over? Don't you miss the boost?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 PM
DRG13
Pro

Jet...It's just personal preference, I love the rawness of a GT3, ride, feel, sound and out of the box it is a lethal track machine. To me, tracking a GT3 is much more fun than tracking a TT, I've got 1,000's of track miles in both GT3's and TT's...With that said, I love TT's as well, very fast, very smooth, etc. etc. The comparison itself is like having to choose between Heidi Klum or Molly Simms, can't really go wrong either way can you? I just don't think there is no comparison as stated above and the TT is the obvious choice. It might be the obvious choice when you lay out what you are looking for in a car, but as a blanket statement, I disagree..
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw a nice new 997.2 s today, really looked nice!
I don't see anything wrong with it, get what you can afford easily.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...if you have to ask, you probably can't afford................
Old 11-09-2008, 12:47 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was waiting for somebody to say that....^^
Old 11-09-2008, 01:23 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I would appreciate feed back on the following:

(1) I only pay cash for my toys, and only if I can pay for it twice over. Following this rule, I will have $300k cash in the bank before I started thinking about it.

(2) Notice? Look-wise, trained Porsche aficionados will notice the side vents etc. Most people will not know the difference. Worry? Only you can decide how you feel. If you are the type who worries about how others feel towards your car-buying decisions, then a 997tt probably is NOT the right car for you.

(3) I do not own a 997tt, but I have absolutely no buyer's remorse with my Ruf BTR.

Just a word about 'grossly' wasteful spending on a car. Wait another year and you could possibly get an used one for below $100k, especially of you have cash and the economy continues to tank. That will take 'grossly' out of the equation.

Good luck with your decisions. Oh, even though you can easily afford a NA Carrera, I'd take a turbo anytime. There is no substitute for torque, especially in a Porsche.

CP
Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

#1 "If Sir has to ask, Sir can not afford" Seriously though, as long as the outlay doesn't compromise your normal way of life - then why not?! ie. can you still afford your mortgage, can you still take the same vacations, do you still have a safety nest egg in case of a rain day, etc etc. If you are worried about spending too much money then just get a used car, their prices are tumbling right now. When the facelift Turbo comes out then they will come down even more. NOTE: you don't want a facelift Turbo anyway as it won't have a GT1 bulletproof engine like the current model has.

#2 Consumption is less on a Turbo than a N/A. I use to have a Carrera S Cab and I achieve much better MPG in my Turbo. In terms of looks, the average man in the street wouldn't know a Boxster from a 911, so if what other people think matters to you then perhaps you should be spending your money a Prius

#3 No buyers remorse at all. And if you modify (improve) the stock Turbo then there is no need to move to a $250k Ferrari as that would be a step down!!! The Turbo will the only car you will ever need...
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRG13
By default, he sorta did ask about a GT3, it would be grouped under his definition of "regular" and by default, it's grouped under your definition of naturally aspirated or "NA".
Sorta?

Doubt a GT3, "by default", can really be considered a "regular" 911, "NA" yes, but "regular"?

Quick Reply: How Much Money Do you Need to Get a TT?