TT owners - switch to GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
OG,

almost all the editors and enthusiasts have stated that it is harder to drive the 997TT at the limits, because it is NOT as easy to handle or as linear as the GT3. By that regard, the TT driver has to work much harder on entry and exits to come close to the same corner speeds, and thus require much more skill. The straightaways are another matter altogether.
maybe I'm just getting old but I swear I remember when the TT came out all I heard/read was "too boring", "too easy to drive fast", "too safe" (always got a kick out of that one). Now, it's the opposite. We're reading how hard it is to drive. Well, which is it?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 528 Posts

GT3/GT3RS are the TRACK/street tree, TT is the STREET/track tree.

As the GT3/GT3RS are more track oriented, they will be easier to handle/drive at the limit as no doubt these cars will spend more time at the limit. With the track oriented tuning of the cars, the driver will feel more connected to the road and hence the more 'rewarding' feel.

OldGuy, sorry to deflate your ego but GT3 would only be the top dog if if there wasn't a GT3RS, but as it stands right now, it is a solid second after the GT3RS, could have been third inline too if one consider the GT3RSR to be on the same side of the tree, but luckily the RSR is not street legal.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by E55AMG
maybe I'm just getting old but I swear I remember when the TT came out all I heard/read was "too boring", "too easy to drive fast", "too safe" (always got a kick out of that one). Now, it's the opposite. We're reading how hard it is to drive. Well, which is it?
The TT is super easier to drive fast and extract say 90% of the handling performance, but to get the last 10% out of the car one needs to be an expert in car handling or the car WILL bite, unlike the terminally understeering 996TT.
It's more of a driver's car for the last 10%.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But the US GT3RS is not really that much of an upgrade to the GT3. No light weight seats, no plastic window, no roll bar. Mechanically, its very much like the regular GT3.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3, GT3RS and the Turbo are all 100% STREET cars. They are NOT race cars. If you want a race car talk to PMNA.
In my opinion, the pecking order among 911s (pre GT2): Turbo>RS>GT3>997S>997. The Turbo has always been the A#1 top of the line 911.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM
golfguy
Racer

Default c&d prefers gt3 over tt

The new Turbo is a mighty fine vehicle, but there’s something lacking. It is incredibly fast and rewarding to drive at almost any speed, thanks to beautifully weighted controls, but it doesn’t get the juices flowing or stir the soul. You are impressed by it, rather than in love with it. It’s a car you can use everyday, rain or shine, in the city or on the open road, but we would rather save 20 grand and buy a 911 GT3, which sounds better and is a purer driving experience.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11328/2007-porsche-911-turbo.html

fwiw, i'd like to have both
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT3 doesn't have rear seats. And the boy racer wing is kinda loud.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Plus the turbo will spank a gt3.....oops did I say that out loud
Gasman the 997 GT3 is 6 seconds faster than the TT at the Ring I wouldnt call that a TT spanking the GT3. Unless you are a fan of Pinks and talk drag strip

Eclou those reports were coming from MT and Car and driver not much skill there to begin with= I wouldnt put too much stock in those reports

This is the truth The TT is a better street car period. The GT3 is a better track car. Believe me after spending a bazillion dollars trying to get the TT to be a GT3 I just bought one and sold my TT after getting it sorted. You can get the TT there. but just an example Porsche doesnt even give it to you with adjustable sways.
And whoopsy I hate to deflate your RS bubble but we only get a watered down RS here. Its not better than a regular GT3 except for the clutch.No plates no hood no window no seats and on and on.......
Looks better if you want loud.
The TT is a great everyday driver- dominator of the streets that you can take to the track and have fun. The GT3 is an OK DD but if you just like driving canyons and track then the GT3 maybe better for you.
This is the truth too-go drive both and see which one YOU like better. Thats the only real answer to your question-If your a torque addict then the TT is your choice- if you want a more linear response and sharper handling and less weight you might like the GT3 better. I personally LOVE the GT3 Howling at 8000 RPM- you just cant that in the TT.
but thats me.
And BTW this debate will go on to our kids 911s and their kids 911s and......
Oh and Eclou had the perfect answer... both- I cant imagine selling one of those.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

OldGuy, the US version maybe watered down compared with the Euro version, but it's still got the wider track, and with that comes the race-sorted wide track subframe. It also has wider rubber too. And if my memory serves me correct, it's still some 40lbs lighter than a US spec GT3. I believe your GT3 is also a watered down verison of the Euro one too, but at least it's not by much, the only major thing missing is the race seats.

I know it hurts your ego knowing there is a range-topping GT3RS above your GT3, and you keep reminding yourself that in US trim the GT3 is just about equal to the GT3RS to make it feel better. But truth do hurts sometimes and the GT3RS do appeared on US shores, granted it's much more expensive and in extremely limited numbers and you will more than likely not running into another one for a long time, but on the odd chance that one stopped next to your GT3, it does kinda stinks a little.

Btw, I like your garage of cars, that Bimmer 335 is a pint sized rocket for sure, I have one and it's one hell of a good car. But the car that stands out the most is your GT3RSR
Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 604 Posts

There is no small satisfaction for us GT3 owners in knowing that by 150mph the better aerodynamics of the GT3 allow it to pull away from the RS to vmax, regardless of euro or US spec!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

OG, lighten up a little Dude, I was having some fun.
BTW what's your source on the 6 second NBR spread? The fastest time for the 997TT is 7.40, so the GT3 runs 7.34?? That's almost as fast as the GT2 7.32, with a lot less HP. Considering they are all street cars they all look pretty damn good on the NBR, kudos to Porsche no matter what the times.
+1 on the 335, my wife loves hers, it's a little beast!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
There is no small satisfaction for us GT3 owners in knowing that by 150mph the better aerodynamics of the GT3 allow it to pull away from the RS to vmax, regardless of euro or US spec!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Gassman I am ilghtening up watching the Cowboys (fellow Texan here)
the best answer is to have both!!

The ring times were on the official list
Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

OG .... or a GT2!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist