Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy 6 speed when Tip is faster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess "like" is relative, no argument from me. although IMO not the same.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

So,
When the DSG comes out will all the arguements be the same? The best engineers in the world prefer this type of box for performance driving. Will we be saying, "No, I'd rather get it wrong on some turns for the thrill of occasionally getting it right". If the best drivers in the universe use this type of box for their living, why will amateurs feel it's better to do it the old-fashioned way?

Right now, some of the paddle shifters are poor in traffic, so I understand the preference of a manual over the paddle shifter. However, ultimately, these issues will be ironed out.
Right now, we are at the transition point where auto-box transmissions are surpassing the performance of the gated manual. I think in 10 years, this will no longer be a discussion for top performing cars. The market will speak. Which box is now delivered in most Ferrari's? AS
Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

sometimes "newer" may not always be better. simple, aint easy.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:31 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
But is it like a clutch and a foot shifter like on a motorcycle? For me, that is the more relevant question of the day?

And yes, I am serious. I would like to hear Oak's insight and wisdom on using the manual shift on the Porsche, we all may learn something new.
Mastiff,

You should have no problem with your clutch. Within ten minutes of driving the 997TT, I am sure you will feel at home. You obviously know how to operate a manual transmission (ala your bikes) and if you have never driven a car before with a manual, it's just like a bike, you just need to get used to finding that friction point where the clutch engages/disengages..
-- In all seriousness though.. If you feel you might need some help, I could come out there and give you a lesson. I am a high performance driving instructor.

Only one catch, you have to let me test drive the car --

If you don't know how to Heel N Toe downshift, it is a lesson I can teach you. Heel N Toe downshifting means using the brake while at the same time, BLIPPING the throttle (with the same foot you are braking with) so you can match rev's on a downshift while slowing for a turn. It's a little complicated but can usually be picked up in a 1/2 hr. or so.

Btw, I'm a Harley rider too. Have a 2003 (100th anniversary) Softtail Deuce (Screamin Eagle)..

B
Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, the Deuce was my first bike, and I loved it until I rode a touring bike. The Deuce is the best looking HD in my opinion, but for long rides it was tough. I also have a Road King and use that when going solo when I ride the HD. It's funny, I read about the Z06 -Ferrari - Porsche wars on this and many other Porsche forums. The bike guys are little different. We tend not to bash other bikes as much - everything on two wheels is cool by me.

Notice when you ride, 90% of the riders wave no matter what you're riding? Try that when a P car and Ferrari pass each other!

I may take you up on that lesson. The trucker just called, it will be here Thursday, one day earlier, oh joy!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:40 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by boolala
Ah...sadly people who buy washing machines nowadays are losing out on the joys, frustrations and "art" involved in using the old ringer type devices......

I know, I know...don't even bother answering: "A car is not an appliance like a washing machine."
boolala, you just don't get it, do you? Have you ever driven a car on a track? Do you know what Heel n Toe downshifting is? It's a sports car, not a soccer mom mobile.. Tips are for POSERS ...... And for old men with a bad left leg. If you want to drive a couch, buy a Mercedes.. If you want to drive a machine, buy a manual Porsche.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Oh jeez, I am left handed (although the left leg ain't too bad), but I am old and I have a Mercedes. But I am also getting the six speed manual ...life is good?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:50 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
So,
When the DSG comes out will all the arguements be the same? The best engineers in the world prefer this type of box for performance driving. Will we be saying, "No, I'd rather get it wrong on some turns for the thrill of occasionally getting it right". If the best drivers in the universe use this type of box for their living, why will amateurs feel it's better to do it the old-fashioned way?

Right now, some of the paddle shifters are poor in traffic, so I understand the preference of a manual over the paddle shifter. However, ultimately, these issues will be ironed out.
Right now, we are at the transition point where auto-box transmissions are surpassing the performance of the gated manual. I think in 10 years, this will no longer be a discussion for top performing cars. The market will speak. Which box is now delivered in most Ferrari's? AS

Yes, when the DSG comes out, the argument will be the SAME.. Regardless of performance differences.. If all I wanted was the best numbers at the lowest price, I'd buy a Corvette.
And the average Ferrari buyer is a different demographic than the average Porsche buyer. Even for club racing... Don't believe me, go down to your local track on a ferrari day and then go on a porsche day and see who is the better class of drivers.

B
Old 07-05-2006, 02:51 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Mastif,

Your going to love your manual... My Pcar is not my everyday car either. I have a suv for the work week, a bmw...
Your manual will be like a fountain of youth.. Your going to feel 18 again.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

I think that what some of us are saying is that IF someone like Rohl spins the turbo tip (or DSG in the future) around the ring in a faster time than the manual, would it not be fair to state that the manual becomes superfulous? This is not an arguement of wether or not one should buy a Ferrari or a Corvette, but from a performance point of view, from daily street driving to track driving and everything in between, if in the future the tip/DSG surpassess all advantages of the manual transmission, apart from the 'fun' factor or 'challange' of driving a stick I think the original posters question is valid. And again I state that even in that situation, I personally would still buy a stick, similar to the reasons why people for the last couple of decades have been buying auto Porsches this time in reverse.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-Line
.... If you want to drive a couch, buy a Mercedes..
I already have a Mercedes.

Any other brilliant advice?

If you want to drive a machine, buy a manual Porsche.
Well since it's my money I guess I get to make the final decision. You buy what you want and I'll buy what I want.

Do you know what Heel n Toe downshifting is..
Yes. And I have another suggestion as to where you can put your foot.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a performance standpoint, I think AS is right. Professional world class racers are using clutchless transmissions. On the other hand, most Crown Vics come with autos, too. A 997TT is neither of these, but has a driver population somewhere in between and a lot more heterogeneous. Clearly the Tip can hold its own, and even exceed the manual (but thats partially due to take-off boost issues). Again, it boils down to driver preference. When PDK becomes the proven better choice, manuals will likely fade to the minority simply because most drivers will want the best performance. I don't think its valid to assume that all Tip drivers are automatically (no pun) assigned to the poser or soccer-mon category.

Speaking of bikes, one of the reasons I maintain an interest in fast cars is because I find it too dangerous around here to ride a bike. I had to give up my Sportster after college and I really miss that thing.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Gary (Fl)
Racer

Where is Sharky on this one...

I guess he is just a poser that drives a tip.....
Old 07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

I think that it's interesting to compare this discussion to those occuring on the 997 forum. Whenever the subject of the base coupe vs the S comes up we always hear "go for the S, you'll love the better performance" even though the difference is only 0.2 sec to 60. Now with the TT, where the difference is 0.3 sec between the manual and tip (nearly 10% faster) we are told that this difference should be ignored in favor of the manual which is more "engaging."

So the bottom line is that people will buy what they want and then find reasons to "justify" their purchase.
Interesting point, but aren't you making an assumption that the tip is faster around a track without some actual lap times?

I'm not sure the 997TT tip is faster around a track than the 6 speed. On Edmunds, they state that it's faster to 60mph from a dead stop because it spools the turbo earlier than the 6 speed. That does not necessarily equate to track lap times. Isn't the tip heavier?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Yes. And I have another suggestion as to where you can put your foot.
Sorry, my foot if busy dancing with my clutch/brake/accelerator..

And Boolala, just so we are clear, I have some questions to ask you for your audience.
1) How many cars (or sports cars) have you owned that have a manual transmission?
2) How many 911's have you owned in a manual transmission?
3) Have you ever driven a 911 with a manual? Have you ever driven a 911?
4) Do you even know how to drive a manual transmission...

.. These types of arguments have come up on the board before and without fail, it always seems to be the guys who have never owned, driven a manual trans on a sports car that that tells us manual guys we are archaic.
.. And just to answer your question: YES, as a high speed driving instructor, I have driven many TIP's on sports cars and SMG transmissions, GUESS WHAT? They are BORING, BORING, BORING.. And meant to be bought so the "wifey" can drive the car too.

Quick Reply: Why buy 6 speed when Tip is faster?