Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy 6 speed when Tip is faster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

am very glad to have gotten 6-speed. I wanted to order tip after hearing all those acceleration numbers but my dealer was not able to order a tip car at launch. I am now so happy I didn't after reading EVO, GT, and other magazines. All of them prefer the manual and will gladly trade the slightly slower straight-line acceleration for total control of the gears (and 6 of them) during spirited driving. I also enjoy controlling all the gears and also controlling the timing of each clutch engagement myself. (rather than a sequential manual like in BMW's and Ferrari's).
Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it's interesting to compare this discussion to those occuring on the 997 forum. Whenever the subject of the base coupe vs the S comes up we always hear "go for the S, you'll love the better performance" even though the difference is only 0.2 sec to 60. Now with the TT, where the difference is 0.3 sec between the manual and tip (nearly 10% faster) we are told that this difference should be ignored in favor of the manual which is more "engaging."

So the bottom line is that people will buy what they want and then find reasons to "justify" their purchase.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am with b line 100%...let yo all know how the 997tt is on the track this weekend!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:40 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
i am with b line 100%...let yo all know how the 997tt is on the track this weekend!!!
Keep the shinney side up... and Kudos to you for getting the car and immediately throwing it ont the track 930man.. I am looking forward to your full report on the car's performance.
B
Old 07-03-2006, 04:14 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I think that it's interesting to compare this discussion to those occuring on the 997 forum. Whenever the subject of the base coupe vs the S comes up we always hear "go for the S, you'll love the better performance" even though the difference is only 0.2 sec to 60. Now with the TT, where the difference is 0.3 sec between the manual and tip (nearly 10% faster) we are told that this difference should be ignored in favor of the manual which is more "engaging."

So the bottom line is that people will buy what they want and then find reasons to "justify" their purchase.
Nope.....sorry you missed it completely.
.......however I would say the automatic appears to be a good fit for you.......and at the end of the day that's what's most important. Buy the car for you, not the next owner(resale), not what's right for others, it's your money & your car.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:39 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

If you look at the top drivers in the world, none of their race cars require a clutch for shifting. This has been true for many years, at least since the days Hewland began making transmissions. I don't think Fernando Alonso misses his clutch pedal or feels the car is not engaging.
The major loss with the tip is the extra gear, but actually 6 at the track is more than you need. The typical amateur would be significantly faster with a tip left in full auto (no little buttons necesssary).
The real challenge is managing the weight distribution and carrying speed. The joy of the clutch is much overstated, in my opinion (and I own lots of each). AS
Old 07-04-2006, 03:18 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
I have to agree with B-Line. If one pedal makes it go and one pedal makes is stop than it might as well be a Golf Cart. If you can get in the car and put the pedal to the floor and get the same result every time...what fun is that???? Everyone has their priorities and their reasons for buying the car. If we were all the same I guess that would be as boring as it is for me to drive an automatic...
Alexander,

I will stick with my post above. I have driven both as well and in my book there is no comparison for a street car. It's kind of like the difference between those that want to look good and those that enjoy the engineering and driving experience. We all know where we fall. If you feel that strongly against a clutch then you should buy cars with two pedals.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

takes more skill and is personally engaing the challenge to drive a stick competently at speed. maybe that's why?, anyone can drive an auto/tip. well almost anyone.

sad most of the people buying porsches now have no clue how to drive a stick correctly.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oak
takes more skill and is personally engaing the challenge to drive a stick competently at speed. maybe that's why?, anyone can drive an auto/tip. well almost anyone.

sad most of the people buying porsches now have no clue how to drive a stick correctly.
And sadly enough I have to admit I am one of them. Perhaps you could give us a little tutorial this afternoon?

Mine will be delivered on Friday, do you think there is hope for me? I can drive a car with a stick shifter, but that doesn't mean I am doing it correctly.

I ride motorcycles pretty good, so I know how to use a clutch, is this going to be different?

Here's a couple of my bikes I currently ride:

This is a KTM 950 Adventure

BMW R1200GS

Harley Ultra Classic (the "wife" bike!)
Old 07-04-2006, 05:04 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oak

Ah...sadly people who buy washing machines nowadays are losing out on the joys, frustrations and "art" involved in using the old ringer type devices......

I know, I know...don't even bother answering: "A car is not an appliance like a washing machine."
Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boolala
Ah...sadly people who buy washing machines nowadays are losing out on the joys, frustrations and "art" involved in using the old ringer type devices......

I know, I know...don't even bother answering: "A car is not an appliance like a washing machine."
But is it like a clutch and a foot shifter like on a motorcycle? For me, that is the more relevant question of the day?

And yes, I am serious. I would like to hear Oak's insight and wisdom on using the manual shift on the Porsche, we all may learn something new.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

nice bikes. I'm sure you made the correct choice for yourself.

nothing like nailing a heel toeing down shift and match reving braking and down shifting at the same time. learning to do this competently and effortless is much more challenging.

enjoy the pain.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
But is it like a clutch and a foot shifter like on a motorcycle? For me, that is the more relevant question of the day?

And yes, I am serious. I would like to hear Oak's insight and wisdom on using the manual shift on the Porsche, we all may learn something new.
personally, I would have to disagree. to be able to utilize one foot to use the brake and gas pedals simultaneously with the same foot requires much more skill to master. and to time the manual shifter all simultaneously. not the same IMHO.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

but I'm sure you have already mastered the heel toeing why else would you opt for an auto?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:16 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oak
personally, I would have to disagree. to be able to utilize one foot to use the brake and gas pedals simultaneously with the same foot requires much more skill to master. and to time the manual shifter all simultaneously. not the same IMHO.
You disagree? I just asked if it is like the manual shift in a car, wasn't proposing an argument of one over the other.

Quick Reply: Why buy 6 speed when Tip is faster?