The following users liked this post:
NSXavier (04-30-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 06:27 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 576 Posts

Nice.
Did you buy this from Florida?
this looks like the one F/S last year on 6 speed.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:56 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Nice.
Did you buy this from Florida?
this looks like the one F/S last year on 6 speed.
Yes and I have sneaking suspicion that the seller sold it because he got P0021 one day and freaked out. i literally have only driven the car for less than 500 miles and the bank 2 cam sleeve was halfway rotated. That's neither here nor there.. but it would make sense. It's tough to buy these cars with no underlying issues. Good news is that it now has an owner that will do what needs to be done to make it perfect.

Got more work done on the car today. Received repaired and pin camshaft and installed. Timed engine, and quadruple checked everything. Installed valve covers with new liquid gasket, installed pinned coolant housings, installed wire harness, and buttoned everything up. She's almost ready to go back in. I just need to do a vacuum test on the cooling system and verify no leaks. I also received my EVOMS GT2 slave cylinder kit today so I will install that tomorrow.

Pinned pipes

Pinned pipes & new ECT sensor

Pinned pipes

HUGE shout out to Todd @ Protomotive for helping me out with the camshaft. Worked with me at the last minute to get things repaired and back to me in no time.

Last edited by NSXavier; 05-01-2020 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:19 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Great work. How does the BBi exhaust sound? Thinking Of buying one for my GT2, but I need loud!
Old 05-02-2020, 01:58 PM
elgato13
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Love following your threads. Almost contacted you about the black one you sold a little while ago but went in a different direction. I'm considering doing the EVOMS mod so I'm looking forward to your install and thoughts.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:20 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT944
Great work. How does the BBi exhaust sound? Thinking Of buying one for my GT2, but I need loud!
I’ll sell you mine. PM me and I’ll get you some sound clips.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:22 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elgato13
Love following your threads. Almost contacted you about the black one you sold a little while ago but went in a different direction. I'm considering doing the EVOMS mod so I'm looking forward to your install and thoughts.
thanks! I actually just got done installing the slave kit today. I’m pretty excited to test it out too. I recently drove a 997turbo with a BBi slave and based on that, I have to say it is a great upgrade. I like the packaging of the EVOMS more though, which is why I went that route.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:43 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Work from today; I buttoned everything up with the engine. I modded the power steering pump by removing the drive coupling for the slave cylinder and plugged off the reservoir ports for that system. Installed the EVOMS GT2 slave cylinder with custom length push rod onto the transmission. With the factory hard lines that run to and from the PS reservoir and slave cyl removed, I took them and the factory slave cylinder and accumulator to the dumpster out back.. where they belong. I also went ahead and power bled the Pentosin out of the master/slave cylinder lines by using a brake fluid flush machine. I ran 2 quarts of DOT4 synthetic fluid through the lines and hope that was enough to remove it all. I then put the engine back in the car and then I realized that I had never vacuum tested the cooling system. So I vacuum tested it in the car and found that it would build a vacuum but fail to hold it. SO. The engine had to come back out for me to troubleshoot where the leak was coming from. Long story short... today sucked. I spent the day trying to find out which component was leaking. After much fiddling around with different fittings, plugs and cones to block off the cooling system completely, I isolated it to a leaking water pump gasket. Removed, cleaned and re-installed and voila. System held a vacuum for 30 minutes. Fast forward to 4:30PM and I'm in a mad dash to put the engine back in the car before 5 (When my dealership closes). Engine is in the car now. I need a drink.

Photos:

This was when things were going smoothly

EVOMS GT2 slave

Plugged off ports on reservoir

PS pump drive coupling removed

This is the custom PS hose I had made. Installed. Tested it out when I had the engine back in the car and the length is perfect. Plumbs right to the PS reservoir with no excessive kinks or binding.

Last edited by NSXavier; 05-07-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:00 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Ugh. Well that bites. WP gasket? Crappy gasket? I'll bet the second time you dropped the thing went quicker. I could never get mine to pressure test. I tries to plug up the lines, but nope. I was lucky, once it was back in it held vacuum forever.

Nice job with the PS lines. And you are absolutely correct, the stock clutch slave is an abomination to all clutch slaves. What a difference it makes, it's like driving a whole different car from the line.

I will join you for that drink, makes my PS res and coolant hose follies look like peanuts in comparison.

Ed

Old 05-02-2020, 09:35 PM
ocardona
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Yellow is not my color; but it looks AWESOME on this car.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:43 AM
6Mezger
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Gotta admit, of all the car's foibles, the camshaft is the one that keeps me nervous, especially since mine isn't a pristine rare Forever Car where an $8000 repair makes sense from an investment perspective.
Unfortunately, I’m not sure pristine solves it all. I just got finished pinning the cams on my 12k mile TT. Lucky for me I’ve been working on my cars for years and with help from this site, specially Ed, was able to do the work myself.

It’s running great now.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:52 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Got the engine bay and undercarriage buttoned up enough to be able to start the engine. Vacuumed the cooling system and filled with 4 gallons of 50/50 expensive-*** PORSCHE coolant + distilled water... in retrospect I could have used the Audi/VW stuff and saved 30 bucks.

Primed the fuel system- no leaks. Turned it over and it fired up and ran like a top. A bit of a rattle was present for about 3 seconds (assuming these were caused by the chain tensioners).

Let it run for a solid hour until the engine reached operating temperature and the cooling fans cycled. Verified heat works. No codes, and from what I’m told my cam deviation #’s are normal.

I’ll post more photos once 100% complete.

on the agenda for tomorrow:

-complete the bottom
-install master cylinder and assist spring and bleed clutch
-vacuum and charge A/C
-bumper, tail lights, wheels, under panels, fender liners
-Drive it (hopefully)
The following 2 users liked this post by NSXavier:
jayi836 (05-04-2020), nzskater (05-12-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 10:55 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Nice job on the timing. 6 degrees is max and there is some max on the difference between the two (I think it's 2 degrees but I can't remember and I am too tired to look!!!).

You can probably taste it, you're so close.

Good work and good luck with the finishing touches.

Ed
Old 05-04-2020, 11:46 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Mezger
Unfortunately, I’m not sure pristine solves it all. I just got finished pinning the cams on my 12k mile TT. Lucky for me I’ve been working on my cars for years and with help from this site, specially Ed, was able to do the work myself.

It’s running great now.
Sorry to hear that! OP's car is also relatively low mileage and unfortunately needed the cam job, too, so it's clearly an equal opportunity ailment. I've seen others online at all sorts of mileage points needing this work, that's part of what makes it "scary."

What I really meant, though, was just that this kind of high dollar major repair feels a little more "worth it" on a cherry low-mile PTS Turbo destined to be $100k+ in a few years versus my generic high-mile example where it would feel more like a pointless money dump.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Nice work I had the same water pump gasket leak even after the vacuum test, I was lucky it could be fixed by tightening the bolts with the engine carrier off.
Seems I may be dropping again for small RMS leak.

Quick Reply: I bought another 997 Turbo