Alex sent me the image.
That's 3 out of 4 cars.
The following users liked this post:
NSXavier (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:01 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 390 Likes on 276 Posts

Crap, no CELS before finding the spun cam?

Can a DIY'er rotate them back or is that something a machine shop has to do?

On the positive side you are addressing it so it will never be a problem again.

Ed
jayi836 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:11 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
Crap, no CELS before finding the spun cam?

Can a DIY'er rotate them back or is that something a machine shop has to do?

On the positive side you are addressing it so it will never be a problem again.

Ed
I don’t think I could have rotated it back without boogering it up. I tried freezing the sleeve with a computer duster can flipped upside down. It froze. Did not shrink enough to be able to move it. Sent it out for repair.

jayi836 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:20 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayi836
I know the feeling, Bank 1 for me.
Alex sent me the image.
That's 3 out of 4 cars.
I hope this thread and others like it don’t scare the owners of 997 / 996 Turbos.. but hate to say that it seems to be becoming more common. It has got to be the worst failure that can occur on the car. I’d rather have the car vomit antifreeze everywhere than to have a spun camshaft. If I wasn’t able to work on the car myself... I don’t think I’d own the car. I have a hard enough time forking over the $$$ for genuine parts. Couldn’t imagine paying someone the labor to do it all.
cavlino (12-07-2022)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:31 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXavier
I hope this thread and others like it don’t scare the owners of 997 / 996 Turbos.. but hate to say that it seems to be becoming more common. It has got to be the worst failure that can occur on the car. I’d rather have the car vomit antifreeze everywhere than to have a spun camshaft. If I wasn’t able to work on the car myself... I don’t think I’d own the car. I have a hard enough time forking over the $$$ for genuine parts. Couldn’t imagine paying someone the labor to do it all.
I have to agree with you my bill just for the cams and coolant repairs was ~$,3000.00 sourced parts from a wholesaler ( friend with a shop).
It was more than double that with the clutch,starter, Do88's and few other parts.
I could see this costing 15-20% of the cars value.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Yep, major factor for me was my willingness to do the work. Also I intend to drive the car until either it or I are dust, so it is a good investment.

I don't want to stir the pot, but this and the cooling pipe issue should have been campaigns to fix that Porsche would pay for.

Ed
NSXavier (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Gotta admit, of all the car's foibles, the camshaft is the one that keeps me nervous, especially since mine isn't a pristine rare Forever Car where an $8000 repair makes sense from an investment perspective.
NSXavier (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 07:47 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Random photos from today's adventures.

Cams removed on bank 1

Staying organized... or baking cupcakes idk.

bank 1 intake cam OK

Pinning bank 1 intake cam

Re installed and timed. Cylinder leakage test #1 3% Leakage rate.

Spun sleeve on bank 2

Spun sleeve on bank 2

Spun sleeve on bank 2

I'm gonna have two days of downtime from working on the car. I'm thinking of ways to eliminate the problematic sharkbite style fitting for the PS feed line that supplies Pentosin to the rack and pinion. I've had that line leak in the past and would like to avoid it. Are there any tried and tested methods of modding the reservoir to accept an AN style fitting? On my last car I removed the sharkbite and O-ring and tapped the brass fitting with an 1/8th NPT tap and installed a 1/8th NPT to barb fitting. From there, I just cut a length braided hose and ran it to the PS line. It actually looked clean and functioned well with no leaks, but I always viewed it as a Bandaid. I'm thinking of a more permanent and solid solution, Since I will be installing the EVOMS GT2 slave kit, I can also do away with the hard lines that supply Pentosin to the factory slave cylinder, so that sharkbite fitting and flare fitting for that system will be no issue since it will be plugged and blocked off.

Any ideas?
jayi836 (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 10:14 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

That's what I did for mine, however I found the leak and dealt with it after the engine was back in. I had a PS leak that was difficult to trace. I had gutted the plumbing to the trans since I had installed a GT2 slave setup. Originally I thought it was one of the return fittings I had plugged, but it wound up being the return line for the PS rack due to a cut in the line's connection:

I did what you did and removed the red thing and cut some threads:

I cut the connecting piece off the hose:

I replaced that and the red fitting with male/female NPT fittings:

I used some sealant (I forget which) on the threaded connection and I used 2 clamps on the hose end (just paranoid about insidious Pentosin).

It looks pretty good, but the hose clamps make it a little less clean. Most importantly, it does not leak!

Ed

Old 04-30-2020, 12:57 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

That's what I did for mine, however I found the leak and dealt with it after the engine was back in. I had a PS leak that was difficult to trace. I had gutted the plumbing to the trans since I had installed a GT2 slave setup. Originally I thought it was one of the return fittings I had plugged, but it wound up being the return line for the PS rack due to a cut in the line's connection:

I did what you did and removed the red thing and cut some threads:

I cut the connecting piece off the hose:

I replaced that and the red fitting with male/female NPT fittings:

I used some sealant (I forget which) on the threaded connection and I used 2 clamps on the hose end (just paranoid about insidious Pentosin).

It looks pretty good, but the hose clamps make it a little less clean. Most importantly, it does not leak!

Ed
Thanks. Weighing my options I decided to do exactly what I've done in the past and what you have outlined above. Except this time, since the engine is currently out of the car, I was able to cut the crimp fitting off at the firewall end of the car. I then went to a local hydraulic hose and fitting store to have a custom Nylon braided hose made. I used a 1/4-18NPT tap to tap the reservoir and fastened a NPT to AN fitting to the reservoir. It should work well and be somewhat clean and OEM looking. I only hope the reservoir top gasket is available for sale from PORSCHE.

call it paranoia but Teflon tape never hurt anyone

I am praying I'm able to get the camshaft back tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSXavier:
jayi836 (04-30-2020), The Defector (10-26-2022)
Old 04-30-2020, 02:45 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Much less obtrusive than mine, should be fine. I would spin that clamp around so you can get at it after installation (but I am sure that is just for show now).

They sell the little O ring between reservoir and pump (I got one when doing my work). Is that the one you are talking about?

Ed
Old 04-30-2020, 04:09 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Much less obtrusive than mine, should be fine. I would spin that clamp around so you can get at it after installation (but I am sure that is just for show now).

They sell the little O ring between reservoir and pump (I got one when doing my work). Is that the one you are talking about?

Ed
The clamp is for the other end of the hose where it will meet up with the metal hose on the car. I will install it on there before lowering the car down and putting the engine back in.

I have the reservoir-to-pump o ring, however, I’m not finding the rubber gasket that goes in between the reservoir body and reservoir lid. Unfortunately I think that is only sold with a reservoir or PS pump assembly which I definitely will not be buying. Lol.

I’ll reuse the existing gasket and pray for no leaks. If there is any, I’ll figure something out.
jayi836 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:14 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

I could not find that or the one that goes between the halves when I split it to remove the coupler.

No leaks from either of those unions, hopefully yours will be the same.

Ed
Old 04-30-2020, 05:21 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXavier
Thanks. Weighing my options I decided to do exactly what I've done in the past and what you have outlined above. Except this time, since the engine is currently out of the car, I was able to cut the crimp fitting off at the firewall end of the car. I then went to a local hydraulic hose and fitting store to have a custom Nylon braided hose made. I used a 1/4-18NPT tap to tap the reservoir and fastened a NPT to AN fitting to the reservoir. It should work well and be somewhat clean and OEM looking. I only hope the reservoir top gasket is available for sale from PORSCHE.

call it paranoia but Teflon tape never hurt anyone

I am praying I'm able to get the camshaft back tomorrow.
If you have more of those PS hoses lying around I'll take one. Great idea.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:33 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Be careful with the tape, you don't want it getting into the system. That's why I used the sealant instead.

Ed

Quick Reply: I bought another 997 Turbo