Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Christmas of 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:35 AM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure. Here's an update right now! You ever seen those movies where the person is tortured until they just start laughing? I kinda understand how they feel. I'm no longer angry with the car/deal/experience. I'm now actually a bit giggly.

See, my wife was having a bad day at work. I thought I'd go grab her a donut so she's got something sweet to munch on when she gets home. So I fired up the 911, drove down to the donut shop, and surprisingly didn't have a single warning light on the dash. It felt good. I mean, it still SOUNDS broken as heck, but it drove nice. Then I get home, and see this:

I guess something let go as I was leaving. No puddles in the garage, just in the driveway and on the street. No issues with oil pressure or coolant temperature. No codes. No nothing. If you look at the pattern, it's literally ONLY coming out when the car is moving. I stopped to watch my garage door close, then took off again. It's soaked into the concrete, so I can't get a read on what it was.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks like clean fluid to me. Power steering or clutch slave/accumulator perhaps.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Hueneme997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward
Sure. Here's an update right now! You ever seen those movies where the person is tortured until they just start laughing? I kinda understand how they feel. I'm no longer angry with the car/deal/experience. I'm now actually a bit giggly.

See, my wife was having a bad day at work. I thought I'd go grab her a donut so she's got something sweet to munch on when she gets home. So I fired up the 911, drove down to the donut shop, and surprisingly didn't have a single warning light

on the dash. It felt good. I mean, it still SOUNDS broken as heck, but it drove nice. Then I get home, and see this:

I guess something let go as I was leaving. No puddles in the garage, just in the driveway and on the street. No issues with oil pressure or coolant temperature. No codes. No nothing. If you look at the pattern, it's literally ONLY coming out when the car is moving. I stopped to watch my garage door close, then took off again. It's soaked into the concrete, so I can't get a read on what it was.

like the “money pit” when the bathtub falls through the floor and Tom hanks starts laughing uncontrollably?

Did you try and smell it? Tranny fluid or oil, I would say clutch slave but that’s an awful lot of fluid!! Oh boy you just can’t catch a break with that car!!!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Keep an eye out for hidden cameras. I'm pretty sure you're on a prank show.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Looks like clean fluid to me. Power steering or clutch slave/accumulator perhaps.
That's the same fluid, right? CHF11S out of the res above the engine?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:34 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

That's the same fluid, right? CHF11S out of the res above the engine?
correct.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:47 AM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeebus31
correct.
Then it looks like it's relatively good news. I already know that that reservoir is leaking. (Missing bolts, apparently.) It's being fixed by the dealership on Thursday. I'm hoping to get the car back Friday and hand it over to an indy shop for the flywheel replacement on Monday.

But I'm going to go out today and buy a Mechanic's stethoscope before I schedule the flywheel replacement. The 911 will go up on jack stands (hopefully for the last time), I'll start the car, and move the 'scope around the engine looking for the rattle. I've got a Porsche certified tech on camera telling his service advisor that I have "the worst case of piston slap he's ever heard". I want to make sure it IS the flywheel and not something busted inside the engine (wrist pins, rod knock, valvetrain, etc) before I drop two grand on labor replacing a potentially fine part.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I would so love for you to find the previous owner and just ask him some friendly "what the heck, man" questions.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Then it looks like it's relatively good news. I already know that that reservoir is leaking. (Missing bolts, apparently.) It's being fixed by the dealership on Thursday. I'm hoping to get the car back Friday and hand it over to an indy shop for the flywheel replacement on Monday.

But I'm going to go out today and buy a Mechanic's stethoscope before I schedule the flywheel replacement. The 911 will go up on jack stands (hopefully for the last time), I'll start the car, and move the 'scope around the engine looking for the rattle. I've got a Porsche certified tech on camera telling his service advisor that I have "the worst case of piston slap he's ever heard". I want to make sure it IS the flywheel and not something busted inside the engine (wrist pins, rod knock, valvetrain, etc) before I drop two grand on labor replacing a potentially fine part.
got a video with the sound?
Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I have never heard of these engine getting piston slap or having wrist pin issues.

Has the engine always had this noise since you got it? You might have a light weight flywheel install causing all the noise.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeebus31
got a video with the sound?

Driving around, on/off throttle. microphone in airbox.

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Has the engine always had this noise since you got it? You might have a light weight flywheel install causing all the noise.
Yup, ever since I got it. Sounds like a gorram diesel truck engine's under the rear lid.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Hueneme997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I would so love for you to find the previous owner and just ask him some friendly "what the heck, man" questions.
Dude, you and me both. At this point I’d pay money to find out the back story, like a pay per view event!

With everything that’s been happening I’m starting to think a back yard mechanic (not a good one) had at it for most of its life...
Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

What are the symptoms of a lightweight flywheel? Chatter, sure, but when? Under load? All the time? Does it vary with engine RPM? Would you hear it at idle? Does it disappear at higher RPMs? How does the noise differ from a failed DMF?

Is there a way to check that a lightweight flywheel is installed other than dropping the tranny and looking?
Old 04-12-2019, 01:22 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

What are the symptoms of a lightweight flywheel? Chatter, sure, but when? Under load? All the time? Does it vary with engine RPM? Would you hear it at idle? Does it disappear at higher RPMs? How does the noise differ from a failed DMF?

Is there a way to check that a lightweight flywheel is installed other than dropping the tranny and looking?
Normally they are loud at idle not in gear with the clutch disengaged. when you press the clutch the noise stops. Doesnt make noise driving....no way to tell with out pulling it apart.

I didnt really hear anything in the video where the car is just idling, these engines are known to be a little loud at idle but your second video sounds like the timing chain slapping around, this is just what it sounds like not saying its that....could be a broken timing chain guide. Timing chains on these are double row and dont really go bad.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:41 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Normally they are loud at idle not in gear with the clutch disengaged. when you press the clutch the noise stops.
So if I'm in gear, decelerating, a flywheel would still be making noise?

Quick Reply: Christmas of 2013