Sponsored by:

Christmas of 2013

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 AM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeJayHoward
That's an interesting concept. Could you explain your reasoning behind it?
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-you-read.html
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a Durametric Pro. I was waffling between that or a PIWIS II clone, and it came down to supporting a small business. Hopefully it can do everything I need it to.

My lift was supposed to ship on the 25th. Instead, now they won't get the parts in until the 5th. So that's on hold.

Also, because text is dull, here's a photo of the 911 after a wax, showcasing the OEM tail lights

Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

^Looks good!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 AM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Today I tried to replace my thermostat. The pictures tell a story. How (not) to replace a 997TT thermostat.

Jack the car up:

Open the engine cover:

Pull up on the filter cover to remove it:

Remove the filter and Y pipe:

Remove the filter housing - Be sure to disconnect the two MAF meters!

Locate the thermostat - Under this hose:

Drain the coolant into a clean container for re-use:

Remove the thermostat housing spring clip:

Attempt to remove the thermostat housing, get pissed at bolt #2 of 3, and give up:

Bolt #3 is so tucked in there that you can barely feel it with an extended finger. No way to get a wrench on it or a socket as long as the cylinder head cap is installed. And from what I can see, no way to remove the cylinder head cap while the engine's in the car!

And here is where the pictures stop. Because here is where the story stops. I can't get the thermostat out without removing the cylinder head cap. And I can't remove the cylinder head cap without either dropping the engine, removing the exhaust, or removing the thermostat housing. The workshop manual makes it look like it's a clear shot to the cylinder head cap bolts. It's not. It's SO not. Tomorrow I'm going to call the local Porsche dealership and get a quote for a thermostat replacement. In the mean time I've got it all buttoned back up and (mostly) refilled.

Last edited by TeeJayHoward; 03-30-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:00 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

^ How did you confirm it was the T-stat that was causing your temp issues?

Haven't done that one before, but a DIY I found by TheRock ( https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...diy-guide.html ) for doing the water pump shows doing a lot more than you planned..

Same general area, so I'm not sure how much of this DIY would apply..
Old 03-30-2019, 12:31 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

^ Yeah, the water pump is a whole different beastie. Heck, on the plain Jane 997s, the thermostat's in a different place and would be a lot easier to replace.

I'm getting the feeling after having worked in this bay twice that 911 packaging sucks. The Mezger might be a fine engine, but DAMN it is annoying to work on. So many tubes and hoses and wires and things that I personally wouldn't have just laying around on top of the engine. Like this:

What IS this little thing? It's literally just flopping round in between the alternator and the... I don't know what that is. A/C compressor maybe? It's not secured to anything. There are wires coming out of the back of it, and it's just sitting there. The wires aren't long enough for it to get caught in the serpentine belt, but what keeps it from bouncing around and damaging itself as the car drives along?

As for confirming that it was the thermostat causing my issues? I haven't. But the symptoms match up what I think of when I think of a thermostat stuck open - Car takes forever to warm up, heat sucks, MPG sucks, no overheating once it is warm, P3081 & P2181, etc. If I had more experience with these cars, I'd imagine I could track it down better. The internet does help, with posts like this which mimics my problem pretty much perfectly. I've got the parts for that should it be needed. But first things first - Pay the dealer the $700 he wants to replace my thermostat and see if that fixes the issue.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:39 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

^ Thats the engine compartment temp sensor. Def should NOT be just laying there, there should be a bracket.. I'll google a bit and see if I can find a pic of what it should look like.

Sorry to say, but the more I see/hear about that car (e.g. the pic you just showed) it just screams of neglect/borderline abuse. The PO didn't give a damn about the car, and whoever worked on it didn't either.. and you have the (not) fun job of sorting it all out.

If you in for the long haul with this, I'd suggest a lift. (maybe you already have one on order?)

EDIT1: added pic of where the temp sensor should be, circled in red.

EDIT2: Looking at your pic closer, I'm not sure that's the same sensor part.. yours looks slightly different, I wonder if the PO put the wrong part in or ?

Last edited by saabin; 03-30-2019 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 03-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow...I'm going to follow this, but you are a far better person than most of us are for tackling all these issues. I give you much credit for doing it! It's already a beautiful car and it will be better once you get it all buttoned up!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Have you run afoul of any old gypsy women recently?
Old 03-30-2019, 06:02 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Have you run afoul of any old gypsy women recently?
LOL, tough crowd.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:14 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
If you in for the long haul with this, I'd suggest a lift. (maybe you already have one on order?)
I do. Ordered on the 19th because it was able to be shipped out the same day. However, the "in stock" lift from MaxJaxUsa.com wasn't actually in stock, and they won't get the parts until the 25th 29th 5th (we'll see). So I'm at least a few weeks out from having the lift. And then once it gets here, I'll be able to measure and drill the holes to secure it to the garage floor... Which I'm trusting is the 4" it's supposed to be. If not, I get to tear that up and pour more concrete, adding another 28 days to the wait while parking the 911 outside just as hail season starts. That gypsie woman joke might not be that far off...

Originally Posted by saabin
The PO didn't give a damn about the car, and whoever worked on it didn't either.. and you have the (not) fun job of sorting it all out.
I'd like to point out that the last mechanic who worked on this car worked for Ed Napleton's Westmont Porsche under the service advisor Scott Lamb. The service was a $10,000 engine-out. Now I'm not saying that the tech was lazy and simply didn't re-attach everything correctly. But I would never take a vehicle I cared for there if this is the level of service they offer. Bolts and brackets are missing that shouldn't be if the service was done to what I consider to be a high standard.

Last edited by TeeJayHoward; 03-30-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 AM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

When I bought mine... I lost my mind over slightly stretched leather/indent on 1 of the rear seats. probably from someone’s knee. It’s gone now, probably shrunk a little from the heat over time. I’m super picky so I could never deal with what you’re dealing with.

Also initially, with this much of caked on dirt, it really made me think flood. Just try to investigate as much as you can. Maybe check under carpets too, etc?

Wish you all of the luck in the world with this one. Looking forward to her recovery and you driving instead of wrenching.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:22 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Wow. Just read this thread for the first time. Some comments to the OP:

1. Save your uber receipts while your car sits.
2. This is text-book example of why it might be advisable to have a forum member eye-ball a prospect in-person if your intent is to purchase an out-of-state vehicle based on a remote PPI. Invariably there are willing (and local) members who would lend a hand.
3. The "cheapo" Tire Rack TPMS monitors are as good as OEM, in my personal experience
4. You deserve a medal. You have more composure than I could have in my wildest dreams. My dad used to say you can "lure more flies with honey than with vinegar." You are correct that a cool and calculating approach to getting this resolved gives you your best chance at an acceptable result. Problem is, if you have my temperament, there's just no way. You're a credit to realists everywhere!

I will subscribe in hopes to read that you are happy with the result you achieve in the end. Good luck to you (literally) kind sir!
Old 03-31-2019, 03:12 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Well first off I’m going to say wow. If my car came that dirty my head would have exploded.

You are wasting your time changing the t-stat. The gauge wouldn’t just drop off like that if it was a t-stat. Also would not get a warming about indicator failure.

Did you get a OEM temp sensor?

Really scary that the engine was probably not taken care of
Old 03-31-2019, 04:53 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
You are wasting your time changing the t-stat. The gauge wouldn’t just drop off like that if it was a t-stat. Also would not get a warming about indicator failure.

Did you get a OEM temp sensor?
What makes you think that? The coolant temperature gauge is controlled by the ECU, not the sensor. If the ECU thinks that anything's wrong with the coolant system, it just flat out disables the gauge so as to not give a false reading.

And yup, OEM sensor.

Quick Reply: Christmas of 2013