997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I stepped up - 2012 997TTS - GT Silver/Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018 | 04:35 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Well, I gave in and ordered at TPC DCS Plug & Play module. I've not heard a negative thing about it and only very positive stuff. Can't wait to see what improvement over the stock PASM module it provides.

Thank you to Tom at TPC for answering all my questions and providing great customer service!!

For those considering it, here is how he explain how it works and makes the car even better.

"DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock."
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:06 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Well, I gave in and ordered at TPC DCS Plug & Play module. I've not heard a negative thing about it and only very positive stuff. Can't wait to see what improvement over the stock PASM module it provides.

Thank you to Tom at TPC for answering all my questions and providing great customer service!!

For those considering it, here is how he explain how it works and makes the car even better.

"DSC works completely different from PASM controller.
PASM Normal mode is 20% stiffness, PASM Sport mode is 80% stiffness.
The middle range between 20% and 80% is not used even through often the middle range is desired.
DSC is fully active and works in ranges.
DSC Normal mode is a range of 5% to 100% stiffness, DSC Sport mode is a range of 20% to 100% stiffness.
DSC reads the g-force and vehicle speed data and command the stiffness to be appropriate for the situation.
The stock shocks with change to DSC commands at 10x per second.
This will give you better ride over bumps and GT3-like handling on twisty roads when driven enthusiastically to produce higher g-force.
Basically the harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Driving leisurely will be a more comfortable ride than stock."
Give us a feedback. I cant seem to go and put them but im almost there.
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

Give us a feedback. I cant seem to go and put them but im almost there.

Sure will!! The more I read about how much better it is just in normal around town driving the the most attractive thing.
If it makes it better and more confidence inspiring in the mountains, that'll be icing on the cake.

Can't wait.
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:27 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Been wanting to do it but I am skeptical. My friend has it and I cannot tell any difference honestly.
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:32 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I'd like to hear how you like it as well...

On the 991 cars, I think the DSC controller is even more sophisticated adding individual shock velocity to it's input stream from the factory 991 ride height sensors and adjusting individual shock damping accordingly.

Cool stuff!
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:39 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Not knocking anything made by any aftermarket company but why didn’t Porsche engineer a similar improved module then past?
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Porsche engineers design products with many different design objectives, not just performance.... Costs, profits, comfort, market regulations, serviceability, market demands, time constraints, product differentiation, NVH, MTBF, etc.

Take something as simple as a Turbo intake airbox. Designed for maximum performance? Heck no, at least half a dozen other objectives creep into the final design.

Last edited by pfbz; 08-09-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2018 | 05:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Been wanting to do it but I am skeptical. My friend has it and I cannot tell any difference honestly.
Originally Posted by pfbz
I'd like to hear how you like it as well...

On the 991 cars, I think the DSC controller is even more sophisticated adding individual shock velocity to it's input stream from the factory 991 ride height sensors and adjusting individual shock damping accordingly.

Cool stuff!

This thread is old but it explains things quite well. It's even 3 years old and they've revised the software since then.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ck-review.html

Too many positive reviews out there for it not to work. Even saw a vid on YT where the guy from "The Smoking Tire" drove a guys car and they both said it was noticeable.

Old 08-09-2018 | 06:04 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

I love it and I could tell immediately the difference after install. And when I initially installed, my car was bone stock.

It settles the suspension. Before sport mode was jarring. After, its firm while not bone jarring. Planted.

I have now modified my suspension, and DSC further enhances the ride.

My thoughts on Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) - porsche designed and engineered it in 2007-2008 and it was great. A substantial improvement over 996 series - porsche stability management (PSM). But now, 10 years later Porsche isn't updating that software, its engineering and designing new software for the 992 generation of vehicles.
TPC is filling a gap with a great product.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (03-01-2020)
Old 08-09-2018 | 06:44 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I love it and I could tell immediately the difference after install. And when I initially installed, my car was bone stock.

It settles the suspension. Before sport mode was jarring. After, its firm while not bone jarring. Planted.

I have now modified my suspension, and DSC further enhances the ride.

My thoughts on Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) - porsche designed and engineered it in 2007-2008 and it was great. A substantial improvement over 996 series - porsche stability management (PSM). But now, 10 years later Porsche isn't updating that software, its engineering and designing new software for the 992 generation of vehicles.
TPC is filling a gap with a great product.

Thank you for the input!
I hope it's exactly as you described.

It should be here Saturday evening with FedEx.
I'll try to get it installed for a Sunday drive since I'm not on duty this wknd. and then report back.
Old 08-09-2018 | 07:02 PM
atcbi5
Banned

I guess it must be great. I have the Eibachs springs and my ride is fine but a little bounce here and there. Kind of a little annoying but I live with it. I have OEM center locks with the new Michelin PS4.
Old 08-09-2018 | 07:18 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atcbi5
I guess it must be great. I have the Eibachs springs and my ride is fine but a little bounce here and there. Kind of a little annoying but I live with it. I have OEM center locks with the new Michelin PS4.
I bet you could still benefit from the DSC. I'll try to give you my personal feed back as soon as possible so you'll have a better idea if you want to spend the money.

PS4's will be my next tire also. But hoping these PS2's last a good while. They've been nice so far with grip / handling in the mountains.

I hear the PS4's have less road noise which would be nice and one of the reasons I want to try them.
Old 08-09-2018 | 07:39 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

I’m riding on ****ty pzeros.
i can only imagine when I mount some Michelin S4s.
unsettling is not what I wanted when pushing a sports car above 100.
no more bounce or twitch.
Old 08-09-2018 | 09:24 PM
atcbi5
Banned

PS4 are excellent, smooth ride and look fantastic.
Old 08-11-2018 | 11:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I received mine today and decided to do a crude little install video. Hope this helps for those not sure about it. It was really easy.
I'll know more about how I like it tmrw. I didn't get a chance to drive more than around the block today.

Last edited by Big Swole; 08-12-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: I stepped up - 2012 997TTS - GT Silver/Black