Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I stepped up - 2012 997TTS - GT Silver/Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car, congrats, great choice. Drive it is Sport Plus and put PDK in manual, sequential shift with the stick like a race car. At least that's what I did with my formula car, only used the clutch to get out of the paddock. The acceleration is mind-blowing, but I think I get as much enjoyment with the deceleration from PCCB's. They still blow me away after 3 years. I haven't read if you have an exhaust, I have Europipe. The stock exhaust was so lame.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (03-01-2020)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

The roads up there (In Mexico ) are SO much fun. He showed great restraint on some of those straights! Fun to watch, and for some reason the video does not do total justice for the banking that exists on our mountain roads. Many of our mountain roads (like 180 here) have great flow and the banking transfers the weight and literally throws these cars along their path. So much fun. Thanks for sharing! (and drop me a PM next time you and other guys head up)
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (03-01-2020)
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I predict ECU tune within 3 months??? You know you want it...
LOLOL Heck, I wanted it 3 months ago!! I've already gotten quotes from Sam and AIM! I'm just trying to be smart about my money and decide if the money would be better spend on a Fidelity Warranty vs. tuning. A PDK failure could ruin my year!

Life is a gamble for sure....But truth is, You're probably right about the time frame...lol

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Wow, cool stuff. But I'm more concerned about that can of soda in the cup holder. Whoa, I've never used it. I don't trust it. I simply put a very small collapsable container of water in my map pocket that I got from REI (it must be for camping) that fits right in there . It's out of sight and mind and won't spill. In any case, that's interesting to see a video of the inside of "my car" rolling down the hilly roads with someone else driving it. Love these cars.
As you can see from the Videos Steve, those "cup holder" do a DANG good job. The can wasn't totally full and it is a La Croix (just carbonated water..no sugar or anything), so a drop or two would clean up just fine..lol

Originally Posted by Ken Scherer
Love the video and thanks for sharing. Mustard/mayo side lol. Makes me want to take a trip to the mountains. Going to other side of FL Saturday across alligator alley to make a possible deal/trade and a couple of others coming today and tomorrow. The action comes in waves.
Thanks brother!

Yeah, I always heard "Keep it between the Mayo and the Mustard" lol Great names for the lines.
You should definitely take your car to the mountains roads before selling. These cars so SO much fun there.

Good luck though on the sale.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics from yesterdays drive...... Stopped off to see my friend's new home build and had to do a little "off roading" lol

The other pics are off Richard Russell Scenic Hwy. at two different pull offs. This is one of my favor roads due to less traffic and nice consistent curves. Just a fun road to be on.

]
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Lab
Beautiful car, congrats, great choice. Drive it is Sport Plus and put PDK in manual, sequential shift with the stick like a race car. At least that's what I did with my formula car, only used the clutch to get out of the paddock. The acceleration is mind-blowing, but I think I get as much enjoyment with the deceleration from PCCB's. They still blow me away after 3 years. I haven't read if you have an exhaust, I have Europipe. The stock exhaust was so lame.
I usually use sport mode in Manual mode using paddles. Sometimes I like to just bump the stick up / down for shift.
I can't remember is "Sport Plus" is any different, shifting wise, in Manual vs. just "Sport" mode in manual. Maybe it is.
But since we / I was taking it quite easy compared to what it's / I'm capable of, I just was in relax mode.

Yes Sir, I have a Europipe as well! It came on the car from the pervious owner. I LOVE IT!!! Perfect amount of noise and beautiful tone.

Originally Posted by bogey1
The roads up there (In Mexico ) are SO much fun. He showed great restraint on some of those straights! Fun to watch, and for some reason the video does not do total justice for the banking that exists on our mountain roads. Many of our mountain roads (like 180 here) have great flow and the banking transfers the weight and literally throws these cars along their path. So much fun. Thanks for sharing! (and drop me a PM next time you and other guys head up)
Yes they are up....I'm mean "down" there in mexico...lol

Yes, I've spent Most of my adult life thrashing those roads on my sport bikes before starting to do lots of track days instead on them. I have to show restraint with this car in the straights. I can't afford to be getting in trouble...Not due to the ticket but they'd probably call my dept. / supervisor...That'd be worse than the ticket. lol

BTW, videos Never do that actual "pace" carrier up there justice. It's always quicker in person vs. watching the vids for some reason.

I'll pm you my Cell... Hit me up if you ever go also. I'f I'm not on duty, I'll def. go.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:52 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
LOLOL Heck, I wanted it 3 months ago!! I've already gotten quotes from Sam and AIM! I'm just trying to be smart about my money and decide if the money would be better spend on a Fidelity Warranty vs. tuning. A PDK failure could ruin my year!
Insurance against pdk failure or go-fast tune? that is an EASY decision! :rofl.

I think you should get it set up right, then think of me when you find your 991 turbo and decide to sell it!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Insurance against pdk failure or go-fast tune? that is an EASY decision! :rofl.

I think you should get it set up right, then think of me when you find your 991 turbo and decide to sell it!

HaHa!!! lol

Good thinking!!

With a custom tune, I think it would simply be just about perfect. If I could know for a fact the claim wouldn't get denied if I had a tune and warranty, then THAT would be even more perfect.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I think custom tunes are great, but honestly the off-the-shelf Cobb tune on my 996 Turbo impresses the hell out of me.

If budget is tight, $1,900 for the cobb tuner without custom tunes, you can always have Sam do a custom tune later.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I think custom tunes are great, but honestly the off-the-shelf Cobb tune on my 996 Turbo impresses the hell out of me.

If budget is tight, $1,900 for the cobb tuner without custom tunes, you can always have Sam do a custom tune later.

You know, you're probably 100% right. Since I only have the EP for my only "performance" style mod, There's probably no need in spending the Extra on custom for now unless I mod more later.

Still on the fence about the PDK tune though. I think I want it, but just haven't seen any major or drastic style positive comments on it. Having the availability to do the "relearn" and hopefully more crisp / power holding shifts, makes me still want it.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow seeing pictures of this car brings back memories of what my previous 997.2 used to look like.

Modding is a slippery slope haha.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by longboarder
Wow seeing pictures of this car brings back memories of what my previous 997.2 used to look like.

Modding is a slippery slope haha.

And many of your Vids are WHY I want to mod!!! lol

I'm no stranger to the "slipper slope" you speak of but from my old high hp diesel days. I've got a whole shelf devoted to my carnage at my friends shop (Garmons Diesel Performance & Transmissions).

This is from at least 3 different engine carnage and builds. Anywhere from 750 - 950 WHP on these engines.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I'd skip the pdk tune... I thought it might be a good solution for cars without Sport+ mode (sport chrono), but you have that. I don't see the bang-for-the-buck nearly as much on the pdk tune.

Cobb has both stage 1 and stage 2 OTS maps and they are usually happy to review your data logs for any issues. Non-custom cobb with OTS stage 2 tune (exhaust only), your choice 91 or 93 octane, data log, have Mitch review, and bump another 70-100hp? Yes please...
Old 08-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I'd skip the pdk tune... I thought it might be a good solution for cars without Sport+ mode (sport chrono), but you have that. I don't see the bang-for-the-buck nearly as much on the pdk tune.

Cobb has both stage 1 and stage 2 OTS maps and they are usually happy to review your data logs for any issues. Non-custom cobb with OTS stage 2 tune (exhaust only), your choice 91 or 93 octane, data log, have Mitch review, and bump another 70-100hp? Yes please...

That's what I keep hearing about the pdk tune. Maybe you're right. I'll just have the dealer change the fluid and do the relearn there I guess to make sure it's good to handle the added power.

How do I contact this Mitch to confirm this? If I knew I had at least some support in case there was any issue with the tune, I think I'd try it.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:44 AM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
In Mexico we always hit Cole Del Dragón, I believe it is called. Love that road. But the long sweeping turn I experienced on the Cumbre Azul (sp? Blue Ridge) is so much fun to carry speed through and just turn the wheel gently side to side as the curves come. Like I said to Big Swole on another forum, I am jealous of the roads down that way.

Originally Posted by Big Swole
BTW, videos Never do that actual "pace" carrier up there justice. It's always quicker in person vs. watching the vids for some reason.
That is the part that sucks. I wish I knew more tricks to get the feeling of the speeds in the car. The best I have found so far is to mount the camera on the front bumper or fender. So you get the inside of the road. The low camera gets the road and passing grass, rocks, and trees whizzing by. It still doesn't capture it correctly but gives you much more sense of speed. Plus if you mount it on the fender behind the wheel you get some of the wheel*movement in the turns. Which is cool too.*
Old 08-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pressure ratio
In Mexico we always hit Cole Del Dragón, I believe it is called. Love that road. But the long sweeping turn I experienced on the Cumbre Azul (sp? Blue Ridge) is so much fun to carry speed through and just turn the wheel gently side to side as the curves come. Like I said to Big Swole on another forum, I am jealous of the roads down that way.

That is the part that sucks. I wish I knew more tricks to get the feeling of the speeds in the car. The best I have found so far is to mount the camera on the front bumper or fender. So you get the inside of the road. The low camera gets the road and passing grass, rocks, and trees whizzing by. It still doesn't capture it correctly but gives you much more sense of speed. Plus if you mount it on the fender behind the wheel you get some of the wheel*movement in the turns. Which is cool too.*
Yes, the long sweepers are great too. *I pretty much love it all ! *lol

Yeah, I bought a GoPro years ago but just never used it much. *I should break it out and try some different mounting areas for the better shots.

Quick Reply: I stepped up - 2012 997TTS - GT Silver/Black