Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nose lift, CPO, PCNA

Old 09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Originally Posted by bovien
I have, in another thread, proof that it is the mentioned pressure switch (the one indicated by '13' in the mounting face) that will fix the problem for the ones of us with the issue of lift working, but dropping only possible by exceeding then auto-drop-down-speed.

So, I'm looking into replacing that switch.

Progress status is, that I have tried to find out which compressor I have (000 111-> or 000 112 ->) as the pressure switch is dependent of the compressor version. I would like to avoid taking the entire system down, as the cooling pipes are in the way and I'm not feeling too confident on pushing them too much.
Anyone have insight in this?
Anyone have insight into the compressor type? I can see that it is marked with 04/2010, which seems right as a date, but I see no Porsche part no. Only a number from Ventrex who produced the compressor. I've tried them, they are of no help.
I'm in the US in a months time and will try to get both pressure switches home with me, as they are way more expensive in Denmark and then just replace with one and else try the other, unless anyone can enlighten me on either the date the compressor changed part no, or on a safe and easy way of taking the entire system down to check further for part no.
Only issue here is, that I from pictures of the system cannot see anywhere a Porsche part number should be placed in the compressor...

The other thread is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=932329&page=2
I'm convinced of this too...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bovien
I have, in another thread, proof that it is the mentioned pressure switch (the one indicated by '13' in the mounting face) that will fix the problem for the ones of us with the issue of lift working, but dropping only possible by exceeding then auto-drop-down-speed.

So, I'm looking into replacing that switch.

Progress status is, that I have tried to find out which compressor I have (000 111-> or 000 112 ->) as the pressure switch is dependent of the compressor version. I would like to avoid taking the entire system down, as the cooling pipes are in the way and I'm not feeling too confident on pushing them too much.
Anyone have insight in this?
Anyone have insight into the compressor type? I can see that it is marked with 04/2010, which seems right as a date, but I see no Porsche part no. Only a number from Ventrex who produced the compressor. I've tried them, they are of no help.
I'm in the US in a months time and will try to get both pressure switches home with me, as they are way more expensive in Denmark and then just replace with one and else try the other, unless anyone can enlighten me on either the date the compressor changed part no, or on a safe and easy way of taking the entire system down to check further for part no.
Only issue here is, that I from pictures of the system cannot see anywhere a Porsche part number should be placed in the compressor...

The other thread is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=932329&page=2
I'm thinking that this might refer to the Porsche part # for the whole unit...

what does PET say the p/n#'s are?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

We got our version of a "cold front" here on wednesday/thursday, so I had a chance to use the nose lift a few times since the humidity goes way down. I've been using it sparingly during the hot humid months, and it's been working properly since the new unit was installed.

There was the satisfying swish sound the unit makes when you let it down and the air pressure is released, but I've observed this doesn't happen every time. Also, I decided to activate it while moving to compare, and it appears to inflate a bit faster(I was doing less than 10 mph)

Next time I have a chance to get my car up on a lift(the lifts you drive onto without the wheels hanging) I'd like to get the unit exposed, activate it and make a close-up well illuminated video out of curiosity. It would also be interesting to compare how different the 991 unit is-

And for those considering deleting the system, I would imagine the lines to the shocks would have to be plugged, and PIWIS used to deactivate it as if the option wasn't ordered when new-
If there's a new malfunction in the future, I'd like to see progress in identifying which pressure switches are what so the proper ones can be ordered-
Old 10-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
We got our version of a "cold front" here on wednesday/thursday, so I had a chance to use the nose lift a few times since the humidity goes way down. I've been using it sparingly during the hot humid months, and it's been working properly since the new unit was installed.

There was the satisfying swish sound the unit makes when you let it down and the air pressure is released, but I've observed this doesn't happen every time. Also, I decided to activate it while moving to compare, and it appears to inflate a bit faster(I was doing less than 10 mph)

Next time I have a chance to get my car up on a lift(the lifts you drive onto without the wheels hanging) I'd like to get the unit exposed, activate it and make a close-up well illuminated video out of curiosity. It would also be interesting to compare how different the 991 unit is-

And for those considering deleting the system, I would imagine the lines to the shocks would have to be plugged, and PIWIS used to deactivate it as if the option wasn't ordered when new-
If there's a new malfunction in the future, I'd like to see progress in identifying which pressure switches are what so the proper ones can be ordered
-
I think there are different non-FAL PASM shocks (p/n #'s) for
the front (if you want to delete the system) and I agree you
would probably need the dealer to de-program the option.

I think that the problem stems from a failure of the 13bar
P/S, if that does not indicate that the system is "up" (symptom no "LIFT" on dash) then pressing the button to
lower does not activate the system to lower, I think what
happens is that the unit automatically lowers as the speed
limit is reached regardless of the indicated status (or lack thereof)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:47 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 63 Posts

My car was at the dealer for about a month for front axle lift repairs. I drove away with 11 pages of paperwork. They replaced the entire system including the front struts.

The first pair of replacement struts were installed but found to be leaking air. Same thing with the second pair! The third pair from Porsche were tested before installation. Thankfully, they were good.

BTW, how long should it take for the system to go from button push to showing "lift" in the dash? I timed 15 seconds for my car following the repair.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by point2point
My car was at the dealer for about a month for front axle lift repairs. I drove away with 11 pages of paperwork. They replaced the entire system including the front struts.

The first pair of replacement struts were installed but found to be leaking air. Same thing with the second pair! The third pair from Porsche were tested before installation. Thankfully, they were good.

BTW, how long should it take for the system to go from button push to showing "lift" in the dash? I timed 15 seconds for my car following the repair.
interesting that the struts were leaking ...

as I recall about 10-15 secs is about right - I sold my 997.2 in anticipation of a 991.2 GT3 ... so I cant test this out (although my FAL was not fully functional anyway)

As long as the "LIFT" indication comes on when raised and the car will lower when toggled - all is good ...

it might be interesting to go through your dealer paperwork to see if they reported the original cause of your FAL failure - and share, the whole thing sounds like a nightmare!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:29 AM
point2point
Rennlist Member

I flicked through the paperwork again. It's actually 14 pages!

Oil was found in the air lines going to the air lift valve block. The seal between the pneumatic chamber and hydraulic chamber was leaking. So both front struts, related lines, level control/air lift assembly, and lift relay were all replaced. Still not work!

It was discovered that the rear end module had corrosion on the male pins. Once cleaned, the system lifted the car but would stay in the lifted position for only 5 seconds to one minute. It also wouldn't lower via the console button. The rear end module was replaced. Still not work!

Air leak from the new front left strut was causing the system to drop on its own. Replacement struts were ordered. The second replacement also leaked!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This does not sound like the issue we have, as I understand. The general problem here is the LIFT never being registered. Not that the front drops down again.
Before yours were sent to the dealer, did it keep its lifted position without dropping down?
If the dealership fixed the lift sensor, which in turn stopped the compressor from running, and that resulted in the nose coming down again, I can see it as possibly the same issue we have (which would be bad, as it means replacing the sensor would just result in us finding the system dropping down again due to leak).
So, did yours hold the height before it went to the dealer?
I’m still set on replacing the sensor, I just need to buy both versions as described above. Season has ended, so I’m on it soon, unless I get indications in here that that is not the issue and I will just run into your issue

By the way; what is ‘the rear module”, that had corroded pins?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:20 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Before the repair, I would hit the button to raise the nose. It could take 2 minutes for LIFT to show on the dash or it might fail to lift altogether.

Sorry, I have no idea what the "rear module" is.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:36 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FINALLY I got the time to take the GT3 FAL system down and look more into this. After a bit of swearing, it was actually quite easy to take the thing down, following instructions from the workshop manual. Basic tools needed.
I got the pressure switch out and noticed some hydraulic fluid in the air system, ending up in the switch. Sounds like the issue above, with a seal in the struts having broken down.

Cleaned it out, checked wiring and reassembled. Same result

So I had to order the part. Took the whole FAL unit to Porsche, but they couldn't figure out which of the two types of switches to order (see posts above), but we took a qualified guess based as the difference was the size of the male thread of the switch itself and I have read a bit up on the manufactures website (https://www.suco.de/en/pressure-moni...hes/m4/f1/146/). Got the apart in a single day for roughly 400$ (can be ordered from the manufacturer for aprox 50$, but delivery was 8-10 weeks, as well as you need to set the specific pressure it reacts on yourself). Mounted it and...

IT WORKS!

After 2 in of the compressor running (filling the system after a complete bleed takes a few min) I saw "LIFT" in the dash, which I don't think I've seen with my 2 years with the car.
Very happy camper now. However, as stated above, it might be short lived. But now, at least we know that it is the pressure switch that gets faulted (possibly from hydraulics fluid from a leaking strut).

Thanks all who joined in on this!

Btw, I also learned from Suco, that the part can fail, if it is mounted places with vibrations or fluctuating temperatures.. Well, Porsche mounts it on a stiff car against the coolant pipes in an enclosed area.... hmmm... :-/
Here is a few pics from the process:

Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 AM
931_2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WELL DONE!
That will help a lot for me! Many thanks for posting all the details from your findings.
Thank you!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default WELL DONE!

Hurrah! finally the conundrum is solved! - well done!!!

finally we have proved the failure of the 13bar pressure switch and probably saved many .2 owners the cost of a full
replacement of the FAL itself!

This is the power of RL!!!

interesting that there is fluid leaking from the shock back into the FAL ... problematic longer term!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Good to know-So what's the part number/details?
So in some cases, if shocks start to fail it will lead into a failed switch I guess-
Thnx
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
Good to know-So what's the part number/details?
So in some cases, if shocks start to fail it will lead into a failed switch I guess-
Thnx
they are listed earlier in the thread...
Old 12-31-2017, 08:26 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Might be time to organize it since the thread has gone so long-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nose lift, CPO, PCNA