Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Failing Ca Smog: Secondary Air, not ready

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 03:06 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

CA resident, had the same issue when I bought my car.

I put over 2000 miles on it driving it back home after clearing a CEL with a standard scanner tool.
The light went away but the OBD was never ready even after about 3 weeks and that amount of miles.
Tried every possible drive cycle - nothing.

Took it to the dealership ( only because a buddy of mine is a SA there and got me a tech connection )
They had it "ready" in less than an hour. No drive cycle - just their computer.
Drove to the car to smog and it had no issues passing.

Tech told me resetting the CEL with the traditional scanner resets these adaptations and that no amount of driving or drive cycle would have readied the last sensor.

I know this isn't of much help. But just wanted to point out that they do indeed have the ability to ready the car without the hassle.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:34 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
Thanks for your input lawrence1. I came across this drive cycle information as well. When you come to a complete stop and idle for 3 minutes, does it require an engine shutdown as well before repeating steps B through D?
It won't make a difference either way. I usually leave it running, and repeat the cycle. I've found that sometimes even doing the cycle once will set all the monitors, so if you have a scanner, i would check readiness after your first full driving cycle. Do not clear codes, do not try to reset anything DME related during the process, obviously. There is no need for a 10 minute idle from cold either. Most people do not do the cycle correctly, hence why they end up taking it to the dealer. You have to follow those steps EXACTLY, which is not easy at all if you live in a populated area. It's doable though.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:38 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
It won't make a difference either way. I usually leave it running, and repeat the cycle. I've found that sometimes even doing the cycle once will set all the monitors, so if you have a scanner, i would check readiness after your first full driving cycle. Do not clear codes, do not try to reset anything DME related during the process, obviously. There is no need for a 10 minute idle from cold either. Most people do not do the cycle correctly, hence why they end up taking it to the dealer. You have to follow those steps EXACTLY, which is not easy at all if you live in a populated area. It's doable though.
You can also leave your scanner plugged in, I do and just hit refresh on it mid cycle... just don't accidentally reset
Old 02-08-2022, 04:44 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

A few more questions...

1) Is the proper fuel level critical for EVAP only or is it also important for other monitors like secondary air? Not sure, I would just follow the drive cycle sequence. Make sure fuel level is below 3/4 tank, and i would aim for measurably less than that (i.e. closer to half tank).

2) Does a cold start followed by 10 minutes at idle apply to short testing with PIWIS only or should secondary air set without it as well? There is no need to idle for 10 minutes. Start from cold, idle 2.5 minutes or slightly over, then continue on with the remaining steps.

3) When does the computer actually write into memory that a specific monitor set to "ready"? At the time it occurred? After a specific time at idle? After engine shutdown? After a complete drive cycle only? It writes them instantly as the conditions to set them to "ready" are met.

I have no fault codes but that probably means nothing.
see above. just find a suitable stretch of road (and highway) and go for it. I've had to do this multiple times (BMWs have a very similar process), and it's a pain ... particularly the part where you drive at 20-30 mph for several minutes. Hard to find a good place for that, even at night, since most roads have traffic lights or stop signs on them. Good luck.

Last edited by lawrence1; 02-08-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:57 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

see above. just find a suitable stretch of road (and highway) and go for it. I've had to do this multiple times (BMWs have a very similar process), and it's a pain ... particularly the part where you drive at 20-30 mph for several minutes. Hard to find a good place for that, even at night, since most roads have traffic lights or stop signs on them. Good luck.
I do enjoy the looks I get when someone in like an M3 passes me and throws his hands up like "wtf are you doing man".
Old 02-08-2022, 06:14 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is what I use (Porsche official procedure - i think i found it on this forum a while back):

Porsche 911 Drive Cycle - OBDII Emission Monitor Reset Procedure

Prior to starting the driving cycle ensure your Porsche's fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Also do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph during any portion of the drive cycle.

A. Start your Porsche 911 and let it idle for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This will allow the ECU to diagnose oxygen sensor aging; meaning the computer will be monitoring the oxygen sensor warm-up period and reaction to rising exhaust temperatures. During this period the ECU is also testing the Secondary Air Injection system.
B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain your speed for 3 1/2 minutes. The ECU will be testing catalytic converter efficiency.
C. Next, accelerate to 40-60 MPH. Once again maintain steady speed, this time for approximately 15 minutes. The EVAP system is now being tested along with adaptation range (2) and the oxygen sensor (switching).
D. Decelerate and come to a complete stop. If equipped with a manual transmission, idle in neutral for 3 minutes. If equipped with an automatic Tiptronic transmission, idle in drive (D) for 3 minutes. Adaptation range (2) is now being tested
E. Repeat steps B through D. Drive cycle complete.

You have to follow this exactly. Also, drive at 55mph for 3 minutes as part of part C (not an additional 3 minutes, but 3 minutes out of the 15 minutes).

Easier said than done ... I usually do these late at night when traffic is light. Be sure to watch your throttle inputs and RPM. Light throttle angle ONLY, and RPMs have to be kept below 3k AT ALL TIMES!
Last month, following a flash of the ECU, I did steps A through D only twice before getting all monitors ready. It was over two weekend mornings, and I covered a total driving distance of about 60 miles. I live in a big subdivision in Orange County, so driving 20-30mph around the neighborhood is pretty easy. There's a 5-mile stretch of 60mph road nearby - I just drove from one end to the other a few times. It's critical not to exceed 3000rpm or 60mph. Doing either ruins the run and you have to begin again at the next cold start.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:59 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

My GT3 is due for CA smog and I'm facing the same dilemma (EVAP and Secondary Air not ready). No dead battery or disconnect. I just haven't driven it lately accept for my drive to the smog station (about 10 freeway miles away with a full tank of gas). I understand EVAP only is okay for CA smog. My question, can the dealer reset "Secondary Air not ready" with PIWIS while the engine is still hot or does it need to be cold for that too? I just don't want to waste more time with this than I have to or do drive cycles.
If you are near san diego
see Adam Gill @ vollig autowerks
He has extensive experience getting the monitors to "set".
Old 02-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
If you are near san diego
see Adam Gill @ vollig autowerks
He has extensive experience getting the monitors to "set".
I will keep this in mind. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2022, 09:19 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Based on the posted information above I still don't get the "you have to do the complete drive cycle" for this to work. Logically you would think that once the secondary air monitor set to "ready" you should be good if that was the only monitor you needed to become "ready". No? Does the OBD system require more than one startup / warm up / drive off phase for this particular monitor? So far I have done two, but my tank was almost full.

I understand EVAP is not an issue for CA smog. I also have no codes.

Driving to my dealer to set it with PIWIS is not an issues for me except for the wait (a few hours) to allow the engine to cool down enough.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:56 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljmartyre
CA resident, had the same issue when I bought my car.

I put over 2000 miles on it driving it back home after clearing a CEL with a standard scanner tool.
The light went away but the OBD was never ready even after about 3 weeks and that amount of miles.
Tried every possible drive cycle - nothing.

Took it to the dealership ( only because a buddy of mine is a SA there and got me a tech connection )
They had it "ready" in less than an hour. No drive cycle - just their computer.
Drove to the car to smog and it had no issues passing.

Tech told me resetting the CEL with the traditional scanner resets these adaptations and that no amount of driving or drive cycle would have readied the last sensor.

I know this isn't of much help. But just wanted to point out that they do indeed have the ability to ready the car without the hassle.
Thank you for confirming that.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:44 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

I have great news! The secondary air monitor set to “ready” today and I passed smog. It was my third cold start with a short drive (first two steps of the drive cycle). This confirms that you don’t have to do the complete drive cycle for secondary air to set.

EVAP is still not ready. The smog guy said that it depends a lot on outside air temperature and air pressure.

The scanner that FLT6SPD recommended to me was very helpful. Thank you again for all your help with this.
The following 3 users liked this post by Medicopter:
FLT6SPD (02-10-2022), point2point (02-10-2022), Wonderdan (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 11:46 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

I have great news! The secondary air monitor set to “ready” today and I passed smog. It was my third cold start with a short drive (first two steps of the drive cycle). This confirms that you don’t have to do the complete drive cycle for secondary air to set.

EVAP is still not ready. The smog guy said that it depends a lot on outside air temperature and air pressure.

The scanner that FLT6SPD recommended to me was very helpful. Thank you again for all your help with this.
congrats. you'll need to do the full drive cycle to set the EVAP, or it may set on its own as you drive the car more.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:21 AM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

congrats. you'll need to do the full drive cycle to set the EVAP, or it may set on its own as you drive the car more.
Thank you lawrence1, that is what I'm planning on.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:32 AM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
You can also leave your scanner plugged in, I do and just hit refresh on it mid cycle... just don't accidentally reset
That is what I did today. Thanks for this helpful advise.

Quick Reply: Failing Ca Smog: Secondary Air, not ready