Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3RS or 997 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 03:37 PM
Christian@PaEuros
Former Vendor

Received 278 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 997 GT3RS or 997 GT2

Does anyone here own both or have gone from one specific model to the other ? I understand they are completely different animals...

My RS, would I be crazy to want to trade for a GT2. Upgrade ? Downgrade ? Thoughts ?

Last edited by Christian@PaEuros; 02-09-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:34 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

Paging @Steve Theodore to the white courtesy phone.

I think it depends on which experience you prefer. Fizzy, high revving motor or massive wave of torque. Both great. Just different.

The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 04:37 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

@osu s2k also had a 997 GT2 and now has a 997.1RS.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:52 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by _AzEuros_
Does anyone here own both or have gone from one specific model to the other ? I understand they are completely different animals...

My RS, would I be crazy to want to trade for a GT2. Upgrade ? Downgrade ? Thoughts ?
As @ChrisF rightfully pointed out, I can likely help as I'm fortunate enough to own each of them, having had my 997.2 GT3RS for nearly 9 years and my 997.1 GT2 for nearly 3 years. It's a complex question, and one that may be harder to answer than you might suspect.

The quick/dirty answer is this: If I had to keep one, it would be the 3RS. There is no other car that can give me that level of emotion at every speed, whether I'm doing 25 or 150 mph. I love the car in every way possible, and I find it to be my perfect car.

The more complicated version of the answer is that it really depends on your mood and what you're trying to do. The GT2 is much faster and easier to drive fast casually, with so much torque to draw upon. You can just breathe on the throttle and make passes that would require a lot of effort in the GT3RS, but the GT2 goes about its business with less sound and doesn't feel quite so connected. Before you read into that too much, it's leagues beyond 997TT levels of isolation, and does feel like a proper GT car in every single way.

We can talk about this forever, so let me know what specific questions you might have and I'd be happy to do my best to answer. They are both absolutely superb and timeless Porsche masterpieces, and I have no plans to sell either of mine.
The following 5 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
8Lug (02-09-2022), atlrvr (02-10-2022), Darkboyz68 (03-15-2022), M&Abanker4life (02-09-2022), Wonderdan (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:37 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

Is that your 996 in the garage? I'd keep the 997 RS if you could only have one.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 AM
Christian@PaEuros
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
As @ChrisF rightfully pointed out, I can likely help as I'm fortunate enough to own each of them, having had my 997.2 GT3RS for nearly 9 years and my 997.1 GT2 for nearly 3 years. It's a complex question, and one that may be harder to answer than you might suspect.

The quick/dirty answer is this: If I had to keep one, it would be the 3RS. There is no other car that can give me that level of emotion at every speed, whether I'm doing 25 or 150 mph. I love the car in every way possible, and I find it to be my perfect car.

The more complicated version of the answer is that it really depends on your mood and what you're trying to do. The GT2 is much faster and easier to drive fast casually, with so much torque to draw upon. You can just breathe on the throttle and make passes that would require a lot of effort in the GT3RS, but the GT2 goes about its business with less sound and doesn't feel quite so connected. Before you read into that too much, it's leagues beyond 997TT levels of isolation, and does feel like a proper GT car in every single way.

We can talk about this forever, so let me know what specific questions you might have and I'd be happy to do my best to answer. They are both absolutely superb and timeless Porsche masterpieces, and I have no plans to sell either of mine.
You have some great points. Lately I haven't been enjoying how raw the 3RS is, unpopular vote I know. I was wondering if the GT2 felt more GT car like or more Touring car like, like a 997TT feels. I like the exclusivity of the lower production numbers of the GT2 and would be searching for white. I wouldn't be able to afford both. Most of the current cars in the stable are turbo also. I have own many boosted cars in the past and would enjoy the "WHAM" of power from a GT2. All in all I am grateful to have the opportunity to own these cars. I reached out to Porsche of London on the previous US white one in Canada, it has been sold. I'll keep lurking in the background until one comes a long I cant live without.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 AM
Christian@PaEuros
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EMpunker
Is that your 996 in the garage? I'd keep the 997 RS if you could only have one.
yes it is. It a 40th Year AE 911. That is the track weapon.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:24 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

yes it is. It a 40th Year AE 911. That is the track weapon.
Nice! Love the 40th Anniversary's.

I was thinking if it's a 996 TT then definitely keep the GT3 RS.

But a GT2 is a worthy replacement for the mighty RS 3.6!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Christian@PaEuros
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EMpunker
Nice! Love the 40th Anniversary's.

I was thinking if it's a 996 TT then definitely keep the GT3 RS.

But a GT2 is a worthy replacement for the mighty RS 3.6!
I do have a 996 Turbo also. It is very “GT2” like.

but thinking of moving around some cars and consolidating.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:30 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Let me give you my thoughts on owning a GT2 for a few years….. first off everyone says you’re either a turbo guy or not…..I’m both, i have dramatically thined the collection, I still have an S 2000 and GT3RS…I also still have my 996 turbo and a 76 930, many of these cars were purchases made with significant memories and attachments at the time otherwise I probably would’ve traded the 996 Turbo for a 997 turbo..or kept my 09 gt2…..I’ve actually had two of those over the years…. So now you understand where I’m coming from.

there aren’t many cars that are more exciting especially on the street than the 997RS, if you already have a 996 turbo with even a mild tune, that’s a potent streetcar and highly capable. What I’m getting at is you understand what a turbo 3.6 can do and a stock GT2 won’t surprise you….

GT2 is special not only because production numbers are low… but it definitely has the feeling of a true GT product albeit a bit softer than the GT3. It’s like the absolute best 997 Turbo you’ve ever been in but because of the rear wheel drive it can be a little exciting and at times you feel like It could possibly kill you…. Ideal world in ideal garage probably have both GT2 and GT3 but in your situation if you’re going to keep the 996 turbo do not buy a GT2

I still enjoy my 996 turbo tremendously and have appreciated it more over the years as it feels smaller and has a better connection to the older cars

GT2 is a lot for the street, if you try to unwind it you’re going to be getting in trouble frequently whereas the GT3 you can stretch the legs without going straight to jail.

If you only had one car, GT2 would be my ultimate choice, you have GT genetics with daily livability and beautiful low end grunt of a turbo…. I will say they were the most undervalued cars for the last 10 years up until this Covid explosion… right now I’m not so sure

you can’t make a wrong decision….

But the grass is not always greener, and as far as GT2 it’s essentially unrecognisable on the street…. 0.0001% knows the difference between that and a turbo, this is what I did like about it (I could drive it to Menards, park it, nobody had a clue)but there are times when I wanna have more fun and that’s where GT3 can’t be beat…Good luck keep us posted …..if your specifically looking for a 2009 other than my black car that was on bring a trailer and the
white 2009 that Grand Prix motors has…I haven’t seen them publicly traded at least in the last three or four years. Now privately they probably do exchange hands amongst collectors but that’s where you reach out to Doug or Jon at switchcars and it’s worth paying them a finders fee to get the right car.

Last edited by osu s2k; 02-10-2022 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by osu s2k:
EMpunker (02-10-2022), Steve Theodore (02-11-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 05:46 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

I do have a 996 Turbo also. It is very “GT2” like.

but thinking of moving around some cars and consolidating.
If you can keep both the 996 TT and 3.6 RS, that'd be the ideal combo in my opinion!
Old 02-11-2022, 11:01 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

…..I was wondering if the GT2 felt more GT car like or more Touring car like, like a 997TT feels…...
Absolutely not. I've never liked the 997 or 991 Turbos. However, 997GT2 is a completely different story.

Originally Posted by osu s2k
….If you only had one car, GT2 would be my ultimate choice, you have GT genetics with daily livability and beautiful low end grunt of a turbo….
Agree with this (but again no wrong answer here). The NA cars just don’t do it for me personally on the street. If I was more into the track these days, I would have a GT2 and a dedicated full cage non street legal track-only NA race car that I would not mind getting banged up a bit. I could not do that to a nice 3RS.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3RS or 997 GT2