Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Random question. Any regrets not going GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:57 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Nope.

If I tracked more, I'd probably want a RS more.

Most my driving is on the street, so what I have satisfies me. Paraphrasing CJ a bit, plain vanilla is still pretty damn good.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

spend more time driving the GT3 than reading RL and you won't have this "problem".

plus, most RS owners just have a relatively cheap sculpture at this point since they don't drive them.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

Says who

I am waiting on my patina elimination kit so i can then clear bra

Originally Posted by Saru385
plus, most RS owners just have a relatively cheap sculpture at this point since they don't drive them.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:57 PM
slodge
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope because I feel much less angst tracking my 997.1 GT3 clubsport. For me in the UK at £175k+ they are too expensive to drive hard without worry!

Cheers

Slodge
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Own 2 GT3's currently. Can't wait to move up to an RS.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:47 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yoojeankim
Although this is my first GT3 and i'm completely in love. I always wonder if paying double the amount of $ is worth getting the RS. does anyone regret not going to the GT3RS or vice versa?

If you paid double and purchased the RS your ego would perhaps be more satisfied but paradoxically you may drive it less (due to value) and actually derive less true satisfaction from it. I have a 997.1 RS and enjoy the car, but definitely don't think it's worth anywhere close to the premium it currently commands compared to the standard GT3.

The best GT3 is the one you are driving!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

If any of my cars sit it is because I have too many in rotation. i should probably thin the herd down
Old 03-05-2016, 06:16 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yoojeankim
i also wonder if i bought my gt3 at the wrong time as they just announced the new 991 gt3 will have a manual but then again all porsches have a specific uniqueness about them .
I just picked up .2 gt3 in December because wanted to ensure I tried a no turbo manual gt3. There will always be next generation that is faster or perceived as better by some. If the biggest regret you might have is possibly not getting an rs, good news you have rich guy problems.

Don't regret my decision for a minute. Only regret was buying in the middle of winter.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:51 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If any of my cars sit it is because I have too many in rotation. i should probably thin the herd down
Agreed...

I am always willing to help out a fellow RL'er. I can offer a clean / smoke-free garage. I do have 4 dogs, but they never get to drive the cars.

PM me to arrange delivery of the following:

16 GT4- SBM, LWB, radio delete, lightweight spec
07 GT3RS Frogger

Just a couple. I don't want you to have any regrets! We'll catch a track day at Road America when you guys play the Brewers in early May.

To the topic at hand... An RS was not an option for my budget when I bought my GT3. Sure I'd LOVE one, but unless the price premium settles a bit I won't get one even when I am ready to spend that kind of money on a car. I wan't to enjoy the car and not sweat the miles / risk from driving it.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:53 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

To be fair, if any of you other guys find yourselves w/ a surplus of sports cars I'm happy to help!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have both.

I actually bought my RS first, and the non RS came a few years later once i assumed they were at bottom and only going to go up. (The 997 generation is good era IMO)
The RS With flashy colors, wing and wide body was like owning a hot rod Porsche right off the showroom floor. My first love. I was hooked.

The performance difference is minimal between the two.
So the nod towards the RS is more less superficial IMO. (although i wanted it for a full euro cage track ready car to be honest.)

The non RS is a more civilized street car between the two thanks to the toned down wing, flywheel and sunroof. Not a bad thing in terms of unwanted attention and since street is were these car spend most of their time it is actually something to be desired nowadays.
The nice thing about the non RS is that it still delivers the same goods without the inflated price tag of the RS.

RS is great for the "peacocking" effect of a sunday driver.
The non RS is everything of the RS minus the "peacock."

I wouldnt have any regrets on not owning a RS as long as I own some sort of mezger 997.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 03-06-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slodge
Nope because I feel much less angst tracking my 997.1 GT3 clubsport. For me in the UK at £175k+ they are too expensive to drive hard without worry!

Cheers

Slodge
too right mate.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

My .1 GT3 has a short shifter and LWFW. Love love this car. Freakn BEAST! Compared to my .2 GT3 with RS motor- I'll take the .1 first. If you have a .1, do the LWFW. The 3.6 comes alive.

I'm not investing but instead having the time of my life. If I had an RS, I'd sell and buy a non RS.

Since the RS is no longer a track toy but rather treated as an investment, the non RS's will become more of a demand for use. Could cause a jump in value too. But who cares about that!! Drive drive drive before you die!!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:52 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased my first Porsche last week (arrives at the end of the month). Truthfully, I wanted an RS, and in many ways it was for the peacocking factor if I'm being honest. I "settled" on a non-RS .1 GT3, but got lucky finding a very well maintained SharkWerks 3.9 car (20k mile car - 5k miles on the SharkWerks build) with RSS cage, buckets seats and a few other goodies. I live in NYC so the car will largely be a weekend toy and potentially get bumped around a bit in the garage (sad reality of NYC living), so buying a garage queen RS really wasn't the move right now. Would have loved to start with the bright colored RS right out of the gate, but I feel fortunate to be a Porsche owner to begin with and, for good measure, put a deposit down on a 991.2 GT3 RS so I can scratch the RS itch in a few years....

I agree with the sentiment of "the best GT3 is the one you are driving." Looking forward to joining the club.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Nis1973
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have both.

The performance difference is minimal between the two.
So the nod towards the RS is more less superficial IMO. (although i wanted it for a full euro cage track ready car to be honest.)
I think performance difference is minimal for 997.1 but from my own experience there is a real difference between 997.2 gt3 and gt3rs. More power, shorter gear ratios and active engine mounts add up to a different experience. The marginal cost of performance is always high so it's not surprising there is a decent price differential. Whether it's worth it or not is a personal call...

Quick Reply: Random question. Any regrets not going GT3RS?