Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Random question. Any regrets not going GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd love an RS, but I never really considered it as the 996 version was not available in the US, so I focused on buying a perfectly set up standard MK II version to drive the hell out of. I love non sunroof cars, so the 997.1 GT3 never really did it for me. As others have said, driving these cars is what it's all about. Mine is set up very closely to what an RS is and it's perfect....but to be honest, I would also love to own a 997 RS. A 4.0 would be awesome, but more work for me if I'm ever going to snag one of those.

I have considered either a .1 or .2 RS but I doubt I would drive it hard enough to get the most out of it. My 6-3 really fits that bill. My hat is off to all you RS owners out there that truly drive your cars hard, and enjoy them as they were designed and intended to be enjoyed.

At this point, I am thrilled with what I have, and don't regret the decision in the least.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:25 AM
Rammer356
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS? I could barely afford my 997.1 GT3 as it was....

I feel extremely lucky to have a standard 997.1 GT3. For me, the standard car was a stretch. I had to pull every stop in the book to get it. I still dont know how I did it. I love the thing to death and will never sell it. What a great car....
Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of the most satisfying things about owning a stock GT3 is being able to keep up on the track with the RS's, and usually pass them, because the difference in performance does not outweigh difference in driver skill.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
^^^ exactly - i think it depends on timing, today it's not the same as it was say 3-4 years ago where an equiv 997.1 RS wasn't too much more than a standard 997.1-3, 20K or so. Now the delta is much larger.
Same boat. Regret not getting RS 3-4 years ago when the delta was 20-30k, not today when it is 80-100k or more. Still considered it, but figured GT4 + GT3 > GT3 RS.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Interesting thought. How is a GT4 plus a GT3 better, other than having 2 cars instead of one. Both cars are track focused, so which one gets the street miles? I actually love the idea of having both, just not sure if it works against owning an RS. Many considerations, I suppose... In my case, the GT3 would always be relegated to track use. Is the GT4 a better street car perhaps?
Old 03-11-2016, 10:19 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts

The GT4 is indeed a much better daily car. But the reasoning behind my thought is that getting to enjoy and experience two very different but equally fun cars is probably greater than the enjoyment from a little more visceral version of one of them.

Having said that, still kick my self for not getting an RS in 2013. Was offered a blue/white gold .2 RS with 10k miles for ~130k, instead got a very mint 2k .2 GT3 with exact options I wanted for about 15k less.

Last edited by sunnyr; 03-11-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the choice to get an RS and instead bought the GT3 back when the $ were not that much difference. I bought the GT3 for few reasons. The GT3 is a bit more street friendly and my wife appreciated that. I didn't want to spend the $. Sure the value has gone up on the RS, but I wouldn't sell it anyway, so the $ are not real to me. Then, like many new things, the newness wears off. I am happy to have been conservative financially because, perhaps, when I am in the rocking chair some day, I will thank myself. I bought a Cup for track and that was crazy fun to drive. So I am happy with my choices.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no right answer. One is not better than the other per se. All of these fairly modern (instant) classic gt cars are epic. I bought a .1 gt3 a few years back and was smitten. Passed on a white same generation rs at the time because I didn't see the value given that it was the same color just with wider hips. I also enjoyed the restrained aggressive look the standard narrow body gt3 has. A few years later, I am still smitten with my gt3 so I bought a .2 rs as a long term hold given the little extra content that went into that car. If a little is good, more is better right? I enjoy both of the cars and think both will hold their value quite well but that is not why I bought them. The rs is full peacock mode. The gt3 you will drive more, the rs you will look at more. Pick your poison.

Quick Reply: Random question. Any regrets not going GT3RS?