Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:03 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Umm, first thing I learned in economics is that GT3 is indeed a staple product. A perfect example: I'd much rather drive a GT3 every day than drink milk.
Hell man, I WISH it were that way. Porsche just needs to make roughly 20 BILLION GT3s per YEAR in order to have the same pricing model.
So start writing letters
Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Great thread..
Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
This is not the best analogy (i'd go so far to say that it's actually a pretty bad analogy) because milk is a CPG product (consumer package good). It's consideration period is almost nil and it's pricing model is inelastic. The auto purchase funnel is empirically much longer and it has an elastic pricing model. Milk is a staple product within its category. A GT3 is an aspirational product. Even within their product categories, CPG and Auto respectively, they are on the exact opposite ends of the product spectrum. A better analogy would be something like caviar which you certainly wouldn't just go pop into your local 7/11 to buy.

I could go on and on. This is a really bad analogy.
I get it
1 my comment is not an analogy but rather tongue in cheek comment
2 the very very best RS are inelastic and not traded here in RL or any site u can find line. ex, some feel $400-500 for a rs4.0 is high. let me just say some I know personally are trading almost 2x that price. no, I'm not making that up. but these aren't regular 4.0 either. to those guys, price is superseded by their desire to want that specific car.
3 the average gt3/RS mkt is transparent. when price is down, some of us will buy them up. then price goes up again. look at 996gt3 and 997.1 gt3. for a while they were cheap. so much so, they were big ugh and stripped into track cars. at $50000 I bought sic 996gt3 four years ago. I drive all of them and beat the hell out of them bc for 50, there was nothing better. and other ppl knew that too, so quickly there were no more 50000 6gt3. unless u time the mkt perfectly, there's no reason to wait for the mkt to come to u. u should goto the mkt and get it done.

that's just one crazy nut's opinion of course.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I get it
1 my comment is not an analogy but rather tongue in cheek comment
2 the very very best RS are inelastic and not traded here in RL or any site u can find line. ex, some feel $400-500 for a rs4.0 is high. let me just say some I know personally are trading almost 2x that price. no, I'm not making that up. but these aren't regular 4.0 either. to those guys, price is superseded by their desire to want that specific car.
3 the average gt3/RS mkt is transparent. when price is down, some of us will buy them up. then price goes up again. look at 996gt3 and 997.1 gt3. for a while they were cheap. so much so, they were big ugh and stripped into track cars. at $50000 I bought sic 996gt3 four years ago. I drive all of them and beat the hell out of them bc for 50, there was nothing better. and other ppl knew that too, so quickly there were no more 50000 6gt3. unless u time the mkt perfectly, there's no reason to wait for the mkt to come to u. u should goto the mkt and get it done.

that's just one crazy nut's opinion of course.
1) I know but I suck at parties
2) They aren't inelastic nor elastic in this scenario (which agreed is a very real scenario) because this scenario isn't a market. So, market economics don't apply.
3) This is a good example of a market influencer. When the market is relatively small and a relatively small circle know and control the market (verrrrry loose definition of control) the behavior of a select few can shape the market. A lot of you guys here trade these things like baseball cards. a) because you can b) because you know how awesome they are. a + b = c) you end up influencing the market and it happens to be in your favor and hooray! you all win! also, d) you share your stories and knowledge with us and it provides huge amounts of value to those outside the market and actually educates their ability to enter the market which actually e) HURTS your ability to affect the market in your favor so f) you should probably close your accounts here and stop bag feeding us all this juicy info on the market for free if you do actually care about JUST market performance but g) you DON'T just care about market performance you also care about BEING IN the market and sharing market info with others which is why h) i thank you and ask you to keep on doing what you're doing.

Edit: I will add that this only applies to a market influencers ability to 'control' the market. Since there are no more 997/6 gt3/rs's being made supply is static (or shrinking when some bozos accordion them in a tire wall or tree). so any increase in market size is all on the demand side which is good for sellers, bad for buyers and bad for market influencers. So if you've got 'em flaunt 'em. You'll make more money, but you'll have negatively affected your ability to control the market.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

very well constructed market theory

I wish I can utilize to my advantage. but my forte has always been buy high sell low. ask anyone here who bought my cars
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 276 Posts

Can anyone tell me about this car?

http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/2010GT3RS/vin/3756.htm

It's currently up for sale ~6K miles; asking 220K. Clean carfax and DME.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:50 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 292 Posts

You see, you fly, you buy, easy...
Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Ya I was hoping someone here was the previous owner. Anyways, I made some time from my work to fly out there in a couple of weeks if it's still for sale then. I'm stuck on the east coast.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:43 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Ya I was hoping someone here was the previous owner. Anyways, I made some time from my work to fly out there in a couple of weeks if it's still for sale then. I'm stuck on the east coast.
I know the car. It's incredibly clean. Two years ago my buddy at auto gallery told me for months to buy it and I waited. When I finally decided to I was two hours too late. It had an autocheck (or maybe Carfax) issue that was reversed. From what I know it was literally a bad report.

I now have the same car after all that.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Thanks modena. The carfax checks out; I have not done an autocheck but might run one before I book the flight. It looks pretty well maintained and I can't find anything sinister about it on-line
Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 AM
DriftKr6l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advice needed on a 07 GT3.
Came across a used GT3 with 40k miles, mostly stock with exception of muffler.
Pic of the car look super clean. No range 2 or higher overrevs, seems not to have any track time as the average speed in DME is really low.
Has an accident reported on Carfax a few years back and was disclosed by the owner, no air bags deployed but car was towed. I'm told rear quarter panel needed to be changed. Car doesn't seem to have service records. What do you guys feel it's worth?

Last edited by DriftKr6l; 07-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:51 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftKr6l
Advice needed on a 07 GT3.
Came across a used GT3 with 40k miles, mostly stock with exception of muffler.
Pic of the car look super clean. No range 2 or higher overrevs, seems not to have any track time as the average speed in DME is really low.
Has an accident reported on Carfax a few years back and was disclosed by the owner, no air Pics deployed but car was towe. I'm told rear quarter panel needed to be changed. Car doesn't seem to have service records. What do you guys feel it's worth?
In the low $70's.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

BTW, this is the car (it's mine). Mileage is 39.6K. Clean title. Zero overrevs in any range. Both sets of wheels go with the car. Still think low $70's?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Jack, the car described is yours? Is that what your saying? If so low 70s looks good, any more info on the carfax blemish?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:02 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, that is my car. Low $70's was someone else's opinion who hasn't seen or driven the car, not mine.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...