Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track Day Insurance - Found something Interesting

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Day Insurance - Found something Interesting

For the past several years I've been using Lockton for my track insurance. 150k of insurance with a 10k deductible would run about 1k per event. I really have nothing bad to say about them and thankfully I have never had a claim. However yesterday a friend referred me to www.theopentrack.com. They operate very similar to your typical car insurance. Stated value flat fee for the year, unlimited events, 5% deductible and no registration for each event. I was quoted 5600 all in for 150k stated value. I have no affiliation with them other than I decided to sign up. The person I spoke with is Ben and he was super nice and very responsive. The truth is you never know how good any insurance is until you have to make a claim but the saving here is huge if you track often. The best part is that you can add a second car for $150. I did tell Ben that I thought more people needed to know about this and that I would post it on rennlist. Let him know you are a rennlister. Who knows perhaps if enough people use him we could get a group discount. Here are the quotes I received from them. Good luck and stay safe in 2016.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
OpenTrack Quote Sheet $125K.pdf (451.2 KB, 271 views)
OpenTrack Quote Sheet $150K.pdf (451.7 KB, 183 views)
OpenTrack Quote Sheet $175K.pdf (448.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:39 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

A thousand bucks an event? Geez I bet some people would want to put their car in the wall and walk away with a new car at those premiums. 5K for the year unlimited seems a bit more reasonable specially if you do 15+ events a year, still not cheap though.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
A thousand bucks an event? Geez I bet some people would want to put their car in the wall and walk away with a new car at those premiums. 5K for the year unlimited seems a bit more reasonable specially if you do 15+ events a year, still not cheap though.
Not sure if you have used Lockton to insure your car but my 7.1GT3 is almost $700 an event. So I'd imagine for a $150K car, 1K sounds about right.

Last edited by LVDell; 01-05-2016 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

If you go on locktons site and price it out that's what 150k cost. I have paid 650 for 100k and 15% deductible. I will tell you while State Farm has a specific exclusion for on track events. Geico does not have such an exclusion and its who insurers my car. I had a specific conversation about this and I was told that so long it's not used on a "regular basis" hpde is covered. According to who I spoke to anything more than twice a month would be considered regular. I typically track once per month so in theory I should be good. But dealing with insurance companies on daily basis as part of my work, you never truly know what they will cover. Since lockton in my eyes was so expensive I planned on rolling the dice. Then my buddy turned me on to this company. For 5k it seemed worth it and I like that I don't have to register each time and can add additional cars for minimal cost. If I do 10 events at a cost of 500 per, I think it's worth the piece of mind.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

the bigger advantage of the open track approach is not having to schedule events. it also covers private events, or private days at member tracks. as long as the events are not competitions. also with lockton, if you're doing 2-3 day events it makes the cost a bit more manageable, but with open track you don't have to think about it, it covers most uses for DE. The policy is underwritten by Aspen. And it's super simple, very clear on what is covered and what is not.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow. I'd been a little shocked when I first saw the premium and excess for my car insurance (that includes managed track days) but after reading this I'm much happier! I pay NZ$1400 pa, 1% of car value excess, with a minimum NZ$5k excess for any track event (and no additional premium to get cover for an event).
Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

I feel fairly confident that Geico would cover me. The real issue I see is how much would they give me for it. They say market value but who knows. At least with stated value this is not an issue. Insurance is always expensive until you need it! Also, this will motivate me to get to the track as much as possible...hoping for at least 12 events with a few of them being multiple days. Can't wait for winterfest!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Anybody know AAA's policy on Driver's Ed events?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Wow. I'd been a little shocked when I first saw the premium and excess for my car insurance (that includes managed track days) but after reading this I'm much happier! I pay NZ$1400 pa, 1% of car value excess, with a minimum NZ$5k excess for any track event (and no additional premium to get cover for an event).
insurance for track days is the ONE thing that is cheaper in europe and aus/nz... ONE! :-)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
insurance for track days is the ONE thing that is cheaper in europe and aus/nz... ONE! :-)
Because they probably don't have some of the yahoos we have here
Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Maybe NZ but definitely not Aus. There is only one company in this big country that offers track cover of any kind. Their cost? $6500 for a single three day event at 65K cover (minus 15K for drivetrain so effectively 50K and a $1500 excess). They don't call Aus the "nanny state" for nothing.

I cry when I read threads like this and can't help but laugh when people say $5600 for unlimited track days "is not too bad". I'd pay that bill without hesitation. No track cover here has me retiring my 6 GT3 (since value hike) after its next event after Feb. And it sucks, because now I have to go buy a Cup to fuel my GT3 bug bites.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
Because they probably don't have some of the yahoos we have here
Did Nurburgring and Spa it was an absolute zoo. Open passing anywhere, no passing signals, all sorts of mixes of cars and experience. Although we do have some idiots in the US I still think the HPDE rules here are safer in general.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have open track policy thru Ben Phillips since May 2015. Good for one calendar year. My breakeven was 6.5 events with my 991gt3. Have done 11 so far. I also tracked my 997.1 Gt3 about 2 times before selling it in July. Additional 150. Had the 07 for 3 yrs. Now I am waiting on a GT4 to arrive mid June.
Regular car insurance policies vary between states in their coverage for events on a "track".
Better to have coverage in writing before assuming coverage is there.
Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Not sure if you have used Lockton to insure your car but my 7.1GT3 is almost $700 an event. So I'd imagine for a $150K car, 1K sounds about right.
Yep. I'm slightly under 800 an event for my .2
Old 02-10-2016, 02:21 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

I have been doing a lot of planning around the upcoming track season, and think that I'm going to need to insure for the track thru theopentrack because Lockton just isnt going to be able to insure up to the value of my 2011 RS and I do enough events to make sense.

My question is - what do people use for regular street insurance for their higher value cars ? I tried calling Haggerty but because I live in NY and use the car at driving events, they wont insure me for collision on the road (which makes no sense to me). I have Liberty Mutual now for my home and all my family cars, but dont get the sense that they understand the value of my vehicle and I dont have an agreed value policy for that car....so was wondering if anyone had any good experience with another provider that might understand my vehicle a bit better. OR doesnt it matter ? Interested in any thoughts... Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Track Day Insurance - Found something Interesting