Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 price bubble bursting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:41 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

991 GT2 = Probably $300k+ after dealer markup, who knows.
991.1 GT3 = No manual, engine problems, overpriced retail, probably will tank after warranty.
991.2 GT3 Manual = Good luck getting one < $200k, if at all. Magic 8ball says Outlook not so good.
991 RS = Expensive, no manual yet. RS manual is going to be insane $.
991 R = LOL not even worth talking about.
718 GT4 = Overpriced, not a 911, fun but not a $120k used car.
991 GTS = 7MT, but really is just a Carrera with some upgrades.
997 RS = $200k and up for something decent, I don't see prices going down any time soon.

All these signs point to 997 non-RS GT3's just holding steady, not going up, not going down. Pricing pressure exists from above and below (Corvette, GT350, Z28, etc.)

Only real comp I see is F430 manual or something along those lines. Earlier manual limited edition Ferraris are already past 200k.

Is there any REAL competition for a 997 GT3 ~$100k range?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,109 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
7.1 still running $200-230k aus here.
haven't dropped yet.
7.2 is at $270-290k
7.2 rs is $430-600k
gt3 market still very strong, but gt2 have fallen substantially.
When can I sell my 997RS to someone down under?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:18 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chiffonade
All these signs point to 997 non-RS GT3's just holding steady, not going up, not going down. Pricing pressure exists from above and below (Corvette, GT350, Z28, etc.)
agree but not exactly for those reasons above.

The 997.2 GT3 requires a Porsche enthusiast. Or at the very least an open minded driving enthusiast, that understands the experience is much more than numbers or sum of its parts.

On paper, there are certainly cars out there faster, better brakes, better aero. Many RL enthusiasts have posted that Porsche GT cars are matters of the heart than of the brain.

Problem is, we are aging out. The next generation of millenials are either not interested in gasoline cars, or want an easy and flashy video game experience.

Now get off my lawn!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:00 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Thankfully in our lifetime, or at least the ones currently on this forum, the car enthusiast market will be fueled by GenX'ers. Not necessarily Millennials.

GenX'ers were offsprings of parents who grew up in the hot rod/car culture era. GenXers also were the last generation to have posters of cars on their walls....Lambo Countach, GT40, Testarossa, to name a few. So the desire for cars in their generation will only fuel sales as GenX'ers begin to have excess cash to buy things they had dreamed of as kids.

GenX'ers also grew up in the 70's/80's where cars became icon's in TV shows.....The Trans Am (Bandit and Knight Rider), Ferrari 308 GTS (Magnum PI), Charger (Dukes of Hazard), Ferrari Testarossa and Daytona (Miami Vice)...just to name a few.

Millennials grew up in the age of Reality/**** TV.

I can speak of this from my personal experience.

Last edited by DYSL; 01-23-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:23 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSL
Thankfully in our lifetime, or at least the ones currently on this forum, the car enthusiast market will be fueled by GenX'ers. Not necessarily Millennials.

GenX'ers were offsprings of parents who grew up in the hot rod/car culture era. GenXers also were the last generation to have posters of cars on their walls....Lambo Countach, GT40, Testarossa, to name a few. So the desire for cars in their generation will only fuel sales as GenX'ers begin to have excess cash to buy things they had dreamed of as kids.

How old are genX ers?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:30 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
How old are genX ers?
I'm 39....So I think that makes me a genX?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:31 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

How old are genX ers?
It's debated on the end date, but it ranges from birth dates of 1965-1979. Some have noted as far as 1981.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

One only has to drive a 997 GT3 and a 991 GT3 back to back to understand why the 997 prices will not be dropping anytime soon.....

The size, the simplicity, the sound and the stick.
Something about makes it a classic forever.

This is the same formula that has the long hood S market still going strong regardless of generation buyers.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

How the hell can I instgram and take a selfie?
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
I'm 39....So I think that makes me a genX?
I'm the same age as you. Seems to be a lot of genX already in the 997gt3 seats. Not seeing that as a reason for prices to stay high.
Agree with previous post that we had posters of cars on the wall.

I still see big car interest from today's teenagers. They might not have posters, but following on car guys on instagram/fb! Different times.

Kids born in cities today will have no interest in driving. They will never drive.

Sorry to say. But we have max 20 years before these are museum pieces.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
One only has to drive a 997 GT3 and a 991 GT3 back to back to understand why the 997 prices will not be dropping anytime soon.....

The size, the simplicity, the sound and the stick.
Something about makes it a classic forever.

This is the same formula that has the long hood S market still going strong regardless of generation buyers.
Drove my old 997RS Saturday, clunky..

Felt like my 964 just like my 964 felt like my 4.0.. same fundamental so go truly nostalgic, not clunky.

I cant go back unless its a proper, proper very lightweight 964 air cooled, hot rod G50 ABS LSD, re-geared, full suspension, aero and 3.8-4.0 motor...

Nostalgic, great driving and its really narrow and small..

But what do I know, I was dropped on my head as a baby a lot.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Drove my old 997RS Saturday, clunky..

Felt like my 964 just like my 964 felt like my 4.0.. same fundamental so go truly nostalgic, not clunky.

I cant go back unless its a proper, proper very lightweight 964 air cooled, hot rod G50 ABS LSD, re-geared, full suspension, aero and 3.8-4.0 motor...

Nostalgic, great driving and its really narrow and small..

But what do I know, I was dropped on my head as a baby a lot.
Clunky sells!
Old 01-23-2017, 03:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I'm the same age as you. Seems to be a lot of genX already in the 997gt3 seats. Not seeing that as a reason for prices to stay high.
Agree with previous post that we had posters of cars on the wall.

I still see big car interest from today's teenagers. They might not have posters, but following on car guys on instagram/fb! Different times.

Kids born in cities today will have no interest in driving. They will never drive.

Sorry to say. But we have max 20 years before these are museum pieces.
I am also 39.
Been driving a 997RS since 2009.
Not many people my age are doing it... but in time i think they will if they can.
I really enjoy my RS.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 PM
911turbolook
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
agree but not exactly for those reasons above.

The 997.2 GT3 requires a Porsche enthusiast. Or at the very least an open minded driving enthusiast, that understands the experience is much more than numbers or sum of its parts.

On paper, there are certainly cars out there faster, better brakes, better aero. Many RL enthusiasts have posted that Porsche GT cars are matters of the heart than of the brain.

Problem is, we are aging out. The next generation of millenials are either not interested in gasoline cars, or want an easy and flashy video game experience.

Now get off my lawn!

Originally Posted by DYSL

GenX'ers also grew up in the 70's/80's where cars became icon's in TV shows.....The Trans Am (Bandit and Knight Rider), Ferrari 308 GTS (Magnum PI), Charger (Dukes of Hazard), Ferrari Testarossa and Daytona (Miami Vice)...just to name a few.

Millennials grew up in the age of Reality/**** TV.

I will firstly state that I am a millennial at age 24. I would agree that my generation is very narcissistic and full of sh*t but with this stated there is a lot of interest in the car culture. I think you guys should be more afraid of the Generation Z. The 997 "bubble" isnt going to burst. Owning various Porsches: 997 RS/GT2, 993 turbo and older 911's I can safely say there is a lot of love for the older Porsches. I will admit most people in my generation don't know how to drive Stick but the one's influenced in the car culture seem to know how. Yes I'm interested in gasoline cars. I hate EV's, most hybrids unless for commute travel and I won't buy anything for fun unless it's a manual. I hate this new computer technology infused with todays cars and will probably be buying used older cars for the rest of my life because I like working on cars.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

Welll, since NAMVET has moved on to other vehicular interests, I guess I'm one of the few old geezer enthusiasts left on here. (I'm 68 but still very active and immature).

My generation grew up during the Golden Era of cars, many of which have become in recent years million dollar + collector cars - Ferrari 250 GTO's, AC Cobras and Daytona Coupes, Lambo Muiras, first generation Jag XKE's, longhood Porsche Carrera RS and RSR's and a myriad of what are now referred to as "American Muscle". The latter continues to be popular because those were relatively cheap, simple, fast cars that we could actually afford....before the collectors realized that many of us older guys were able to pay up handsomely to relive the second funnest part of our misspent youth.

I had decided to sell my GT3 awhile back. It was approaching 40K miles and I had stopped driving it regularly because I assumed that the value would plummet significantly at that point. I eventually realized that I was being stupid because no other Porsche within my retiree's budget would provide the indescribably epic driving experience that my GT3 provides.

So now, my intention is to keep this car as long as I am physically able to enjoy it. I could care less about it's future value. That will be someone else's problem to deal with.

I've had almost every iteration of Porsche sports car since my first one back in 1972. 22 of them. The only one I would describe as "clunky" was a brand new '77 924 that I endured for about six months. Ugh.

Last edited by jackb911; 01-23-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 price bubble bursting?