Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving tips for a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Get air cooled antique for the street. Gt for the track and looking cool cruising pch. I do canyons but slow. Too easy to get into trouble too fast and trees hurt.

Lots of good advice You will need to learn a lot driving this car. It's different, but when done well is amazing. Nothing like that *** end settling and just sticking. So much traction.

Hard brake, late apex,, trail, back on gas quick to settle, mat it at apex and go along for the ride. Something like that. Smooth smooth smooth is the key. Never lift. Really.

Gt4 will be easier to drive fast. It is also a very sweet ride. Lucky to have either one.
The following users liked this post:
bigchungus (12-12-2022)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche club driver skills for wet skidpad, auto cross experience , driving oval or figure 8.
Then Porsche DE with instructor who is familiar with Gt3s or hire a personal coach to help you with slow in fast-out ,H/T keeping car in balance , etc. in these wonderful, fun cars.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:00 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

by the post title i thought this would be such a lame thread

in actuality lots of great advice given, and accurate insights into the car

many truisms for driving any car at speed, on road and especially track...
...smooth, minimalistic inputs whenever possible
...avoid turning and braking hard at same time
...slow in -- fast out (skidding through a turn may be good for youtube but is really bad for speed)

but some truisms are especially true for 911s, gt3 or otherwise, and the older the car, moreso the case...
...do. not. lift. while changing direction
...throttle steer to aid turning/placing car
...trail braking as advanced skill
...get coached by someone who drives these cars alot!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,050 Likes on 575 Posts

+1 to everyone for pointing out the threshold characteristics of the car. The GT3 really is the metaphorical knife-edged car.

Here are some other thoughts as a supplement-

The GT3 has incredibly high limits. If you can drive at all, the bad part of this equation is that you will be thinking "damn this is easy" up to about 85% of the car. That last 10-20% is really quite dangerous to access. So- TAKE YOUR TIME. Treat it like you would a 1000cc sportbike. If you want to have grandkids- try and inch your way to the limit one mph at a time.

Also- the less variables in the equation the more you will get out of yourself and the car. If you are about to drive a new car on a new track that you have zero experience at, that is inherently more difficult than limiting the variables by driving somewhere familiar.

Last in regards to the phrases "slow in fast out", "never lift off the gas" and "power down out of the turns" "be smooth, and be smoother":

The key to having proper throttle control in the GT3 is to never give more throttle than you need/ want.

??

Make sure that you are squeezing it in gently. In terms of pedal pressure being smooth means adding small amounts- i use whole integers so you feed throttle linearly in increments of 1-2.

Brake from 100-60mph, turn in, apply maintenance throttle of 2 (1-10 scale) as you are apexing and tracking out you can go from 2-3-4-5-6 etc. DO NOT GO FULL CHRIS HARRIS AKA 1-2-8-10.

Reason being that if you are feeding it slowly you can freeze and maintain the same pedal pressure and try to steer your way out, and if you are a little off it is only by one or two increments- if you slam the gas then you will be unable to recover smoothly and will lose the feel of the car. Way better to make a tiny mistake and 'possibly' clip a cone vs make a huge mistake and hit something, someone, spin into traffic etc.

Summary- the car is gnarly because it is not a progressive learning curve. Car plays like a teddy bear until 85% then it gets real gangster out of nowhere. Therefore you have to take your time and be under control and make tiny adjustments.
LFTOFFOVRSTR (12-12-2022)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:26 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 211 Posts

As others have said

My experiences in piloting a GT3 in comparison to other cars i've tracked (AWD, FR and MR), the gas and steering inputs are paramount. Treat it like a go-kart in that tiny amounts of inaccuracy with either the right boot or hands can have implications. Except in a Go Kart the end result is merely a slower lap time. The GT3 will bite you.

Having the car aligned properly can drastically assist with being able to place the car where you want on the way into the corner, but nothing will teach you throttle on the way out other than seat time.

You can safely drive one at the track below the threshold and probably have a fun time doing so, but anything above this requires big ***** and a no turning back mentality.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997s07
^^^ same here. Damn stressful correcting every freaking 2 minutes.
I agree too, I save the aggressive driving for the track/AX. I'll do a little canyon driving but take it easy since I don't know what's around the next corner (gravel/rocks/water/critters).
Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
I'm in the SFBay area, and would definitely want instruction from a seasoned expert if possible. I've run my previous track days with HOD. They've been great and I've had a lot of good instruction from them.

I also hear the porsche club is good. Do they have instruction as well?

You've asked good questions and others have offered sage advice. If you want some input from a "seasoned expert", send me a PM and you can decide if I qualify to help.

Have fun with the GT3
Old 10-20-2015, 03:59 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Car plays like a teddy bear until 85% then it gets real gangster out of nowhere.
haha that is great
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Car plays like a teddy bear until 85% then it gets real gangster out of nowhere.
Do you know my wife?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:11 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

For the canyons:

Anyone who drives over 8/10ths on a public road is a schm*ck, and up to this level the GT3 is fun and friendly. Work on clean heel/toe, rev matching, balancing on throttle, looking far ahead, and so on. The EVO stuff is fun to watch, but not what you want to personally do on public roads.

For the track:

Slowly work up speed, sort out threshold braking points, clean gear changes, taking advantage of track width, experiment early and late entry to corners... All at 8/10ths. Pick a few corners or bends to build speed, ideally ones with run-off so you can take it closer to the limit. Don't forget the reality that approaching 10/10ths buys you a handful of seconds a lap which means everything in a race and absolutely nothing on lapping days. Make your goal to gradually solve a few corners at a time, not lap time. Another idea: crank up rear tire pressure to simulate ovesteer, a great way to practice balance at somewhat lower speeds - I've done this, try it.

The TRUTH is modern performance cars have limits too high for the street, this isn't a GT3 phenomenon. And with limits that high, things can get ugly awful quick. Solid advice on here for sure... And a Porsche driving school day (as suggested) with all the forced low traction scenarios will build confidence if not skills.
orthofrancis (12-21-2022)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 PM
GreatWhiteNorth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add a set of cup 2's plus all the previous great advice and have fun!!!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:02 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by globed
For the canyons:

Anyone who drives over 8/10ths on a public road is a schm*ck, and up to this level the GT3 is fun and friendly. Work on clean heel/toe, rev matching, balancing on throttle, looking far ahead, and so on. The EVO stuff is fun to watch, but not what you want to personally do on public roads.

For the track:

Slowly work up speed, sort out threshold braking points, clean gear changes, taking advantage of track width, experiment early and late entry to corners... All at 8/10ths. Pick a few corners or bends to build speed, ideally ones with run-off so you can take it closer to the limit. Don't forget the reality that approaching 10/10ths buys you a handful of seconds a lap which means everything in a race and absolutely nothing on lapping days. Make your goal to gradually solve a few corners at a time, not lap time. Another idea: crank up rear tire pressure to simulate ovesteer, a great way to practice balance at somewhat lower speeds - I've done this, try it.

The TRUTH is modern performance cars have limits too high for the street, this isn't a GT3 phenomenon. And with limits that high, things can get ugly awful quick. Solid advice on here for sure... And a Porsche driving school day (as suggested) with all the forced low traction scenarios will build confidence if not skills.
Thanks for this post. Also thanks to all for such awesome posts. I've never done 10/10ths on the street and probably not on the track. I'm aware I'm not a pro.

I suppose my main concern was that the car is too much of a handful on back roads to have a good time
Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You are very welcome. Whether it be new GT4 or the modern classic 997 GT3, no bad choice either way my friend.

Have a look at the reply by NAM VET... spot on about road manners, sight lines, and size. This isn't some rip snorting, crudely sprung, throw you into the hedges, only to be experienced on a track, hold on for your life car. I had a Viper GTS, so I'm familiar with bad manners. NAM had a Superformance Cobra, I've had time behind the wheel of one - a tough dance partner.

Those who take their front-engine, rear-drive cars to the limit, then hop into a 911 and expect the same at the limit handling may be in for a surprise. I don't think you'll have any problem. My unpaid advice is leave everything stock, swap tires to regular hi-perf if using in the rain, and enjoy the hell out of an awesome vehicle. As abnormal tire wear becomes a constraint on the track, then futz around with things - based on how much time you spend street vs track.

Advice of value: don't get sucked into boy-racing the canyons or back roads. In a road full of small twists and tight corners, the GT3 won't do anything more for you than many lesser sports cars and sub-compacts. Especially if the other driver knows the roads well. Just enjoy the ride and focus on the joy of driving and sound of the flat-six.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:37 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 184 Posts

oh, pin your coolant lines!

You are very welcome. Whether it be new GT4 or the modern classic 997 GT3, no bad choice either way my friend.

Have a look at the reply by NAM VET... spot on about road manners, sight lines, and size. This isn't some rip snorting, crudely sprung, throw you into the hedges, only to be experienced on a track, hold on for your life car. I had a Viper GTS, so I'm familiar with bad manners. NAM had a Superformance Cobra, I've had time behind the wheel of one - a tough dance partner.

Those who take their front-engine, rear-drive cars to the limit, then hop into a 911 and expect the same at the limit handling may be in for a surprise. I don't think you'll have any problem. My unpaid advice is leave everything stock, swap tires to regular hi-perf if using in the rain, and enjoy the hell out of an awesome vehicle. As abnormal tire wear becomes a constraint on the track, then futz around with things - based on how much time you spend street vs track.

Advice of value: don't get sucked into boy-racing the canyons or back roads. In a road full of small twists and tight corners, the GT3 won't do anything more for you than many lesser sports cars and sub-compacts. Especially if the other driver knows the roads well. Just enjoy the ride and focus on the joy of driving and sound of the flat-six.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

this has been my route so far with my GT3. driving the same roads that i liked to drive in my Evo and RS4, but enjoying them in a different car, that has a different feel and different sound, more so than trying to drive the roads faster/harder.

do i need a GT3 to enjoy driving on those roads? of course not, but driving a GT3 on those roads sure is enjoyable!!!

Quick Reply: Driving tips for a GT3