Roadtrip from PA to CO

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015 | 06:10 PM
eyedi27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtrip from PA to CO

Hello everyone

First time actually posting something after I became a member here at Rennlist.

After buying and selling so many cars I was very sick and tired of parting my car out/selling my cars. So I wanted something that I can keep for longer than 2 years and was ready to move onto something greater than any of the cars I have owned.

I almost got 2016 GT3 but wife said "no" and cancelled the wait list and became depressed for couple of months. Then I started looking for more "affordable" GT3s and 997.2 was in my picture. It even became clear when I drove 911 carerra S 997 vs 991 and I thought 991 wasn't what I wanted. Fast forward, I am getting 997.2 GT3 and going to pick up the car next week. I like to drive my car and I love taking my cars to roadtrips.

So question is any recommendation what I should watch out during driving? Just little bit scared that the fact it's Porsche and something goes wrong I can't do much during the trip. So I need to prepare everything before we can leave PA and have about 1400 miles trip back to Denver.

Any input will be nice and things I am worried about is just mechanical issues I may encounter. If it seems like it's too risky then I will probably send the car instead driving.

Thank you!
Old 09-19-2015 | 06:54 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I like a road trip, so I would drive it. I assume you have done a PPI and everything checks out good. If so, I would say the car is fine for the road trip.

The biggest risk you will likely encounter is a tire issue and finding a replacement along the way would be difficult. I suggest making sure you have a small tire inflator, a plug kit (Autozone) and slime. I recently did a couple of thousand miles in my R8 and ended up with a flat. I would have been stuck for several days if I didn't have the plug kit and slime to get me home.

Make sure you have a device to post on RL, if needed there will be someone along the way to help you in a pinch. Plan a route that takes you down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Enjoy the drive!
Old 09-19-2015 | 08:34 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 274 Likes on 165 Posts

I would have a torque wrench and breaker bar because unless you can get to a dealer, no local tire shop will be able to take centre locks off.
Old 09-19-2015 | 11:38 PM
eyedi27
Advanced

Thanks guys for some inputs

As for changing tires unfortunately or fortunately car has cup car CL installed. And I have no idea how easy or difficult to remove wheels on cup car CL. I read and looked into stock CL (heard pita) but have no idea how to take off cup car centerlock. If anyone else knows about this please tell me.

The previous owner did put lots of money into the car and it was converted to "track" car. I am familiar with modded cars but this one is little bit different considering it's brand new platform for me. I have owned lots of Japanese and BMWs but this is first Porsche and I have lots of things to learn.

Again I really appreciate any feedbacks!
Old 09-19-2015 | 11:46 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm.... track car and cup car CL, I wonder what kind of suspension work has been done. If it is super stiff it might make for a long and bumpy ride. You will want the tools to be able to take a wheel off. For the street CL the torque spec is 440 ft-lbs, so it is either a very long torque wrench or a 4x1 multiplier and a normal torque wrench.
Old 09-20-2015 | 12:34 AM
eyedi27
Advanced

Yes it will long and bumpy ride which we love! It has been almost 10 years since I took a "track" car for road trip. Close friend is coming with me and we both have bad backs. We will probably seeing chiropractor after this trip =)
Old 09-20-2015 | 05:41 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

As above, other than dealing with retched centre locks... It's just a normal car. Nothing 'risky' about it.

Does it have front lift? If not, you'll need to think about the nose on steep ramps and driveways.

As a car worrier, I always keep a list of Porsche dealers en route. Sign up for roadside assistance with Porsche, insurance company, or whomever.

What tires are mounted? You'll want high performance tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Bridgestone RE-050A, or 5-8 other choices) rather than quasi-track tires (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, Pirelli Corsa) to handle the rain.

Tell us more about the track mods. Do you intend on using it for the track? You sure it's not normal centre locks that have been hyped as 'cup style' parts ? Does it have slicks? Honestly, I'd be a bit concerned around what's been done. if you're not 100% sure about what's been 'modded' then you really need to get the whole list and come back here for advice. Presumably no CPO (warranty)?

A factory GT3 is an awesome travel companion - I've cris-crossed Europe and loved it.

Good luck! Great community here to help.
Old 09-20-2015 | 10:47 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

There are quite a few threads on center lock wheels on Rennlist, You definitely need to do some research and buy the tools and fixtures to take off the wheel before you leave.
Old 09-20-2015 | 10:52 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Cup car center locks are way better. You can hit those with an air gun.

Just have the oil changes, make sure your tires are good and proper pressures, carry slime a plug kit and a compressor and enjoy the drive. Car will be fine.

Quick Reply: Roadtrip from PA to CO