Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?

Hi All,

I need to replace one of my front struts and was advised to perhaps swap the whole system now instead of fixing one OEM strut.

Should I stick with stock OEM or Upgrade? If upgrade, then to what?

My driving in the near future consists of 90/10 track.. that ratio may change to more track down the road.

Anyone have experience with Ohlins Road & Track Porsche 997 POZ MN04 setup? This is their basic upgrade for 997 GT3.

I do not want to "invest" $8k into new suspension right now, unless it's used in great condition and a deal.

Any feedback is highly welcome!

Thank you,
Mark
Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Spyerx is running the rt ohlins. I'm sure he will chime in here
Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

10% track? stay oem with uprated front springs, rear toe links, and a proper setup.

r&t setup is very good, probably good enough for most drivers here, much better than the factory dampers, but only doing dampers you're not allowing the shocks to work. you really need to do the rest of the system with monoballs. Key is using what your suspension guy knows. Ohlins, JRZ, Moton, etc are all good dampers.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I also suggested a re-valve and stiffer springs as an option (which is my plan for the 996)...especially since Bilstein is in SD and so close to us in LA

Also, Mark already has RSS rear toe arms and dog bones. I believe he has monoballs in the front as well (Mooty will know for sure)...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 AM
zaitsev
Instructor

Thanks Josh. The front has champion motorsport toe links and trailing arms.

Spyerx - I'm suspecting 10% track, but the 90% street isn't exactly freeway driving to work. There are plenty of fun roads around Malibu, ACH and in SF. I don't want to steer people's comments, but my suspension guy recommended the Ohlins R&T DFV setup. He runs the next step up (assuming TTX) in his personal .2 RS.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

You won't be disappointed. They are very good dampers. The single adjustment makes setup easy. My suspension guy prefers a slightly stiffer front than comes with the kit. i can't recall the weight of stock kit spring but i have a 600/800 setup and run it quite stiff. Street, track, i just leave it dialed how he does it. Several here have them/had them (some sold cars). The TTX is another level and used on race cars. i've ridden in the identical car to mine, setup by the same guy, everything the same except the dampers - TTX are more compliant and controlled. it's pretty subtle but you can feel it. at speed on track i'm sure it's more noticeable. they're 3-4x the price.

I think the 997.1 dampers aren't that great, especially the front spring rate, dives under heavy braking.

~130mph braking zone pic... this is with Ohlins. Maybe cup spoiler is dragging with stock dampers lol

Last edited by Spyerx; 07-31-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 AM
zaitsev
Instructor

Thanks for sharing the pic -- so beautiful! TTX is definitely too much for me and not needed. If I didn't run into an issue with one of my struts, I wouldn't be contemplating suspension upgrade at all at this time.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zaitsev
Thanks for sharing the pic -- so beautiful! TTX is definitely too much for me and not needed. If I didn't run into an issue with one of my struts, I wouldn't be contemplating suspension upgrade at all at this time.
that pic is with ohlins stock would probably drag lip :-)
Main reason mine got ohlins so early into my ownership was i had the pasm wiring go bad in a damper throwing errors on the dash.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:36 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,994 Likes on 2,276 Posts

I also had the Ohline D&T kit on my .2RS for 6,000 miles and my car was most driven on weekends along with 11 track days. I liked how compliant the suspension was and on the soft setting it left just like stock. I went with JRZ RS Pro dampers for my Cayman S but that's only because that will be fully built track car.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:50 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Does anyone have any comments on the Tractive/DSC package from TPC, would the OP consider this if the price was within budget ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ion-forum.html
Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Pervez (MVEZ) is one of the fastest guys I know and he had these on his pumpkin RS and had nothing but great things to say about them.

Based on his feedback my brother put a set of these on his FD RX-7 recently and though he doesn't have a ton of time on them yet he also has no complaints.

The whole point of the DFV valving in the shocks is to provide a high speed compression bypass which will make them more comfortable on the street when you hit those nasty bumps and expansion joints. The perfect damper for street / track use in my opinion.

I think the Ohlins product makes alot of sense for mixed use cars.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Pervez (MVEZ) is one of the fastest guys I know and he had these on his pumpkin RS and had nothing but great things to say about them.

Based on his feedback my brother put a set of these on his FD RX-7 recently and though he doesn't have a ton of time on them yet he also has no complaints.

The whole point of the DFV valving in the shocks is to provide a high speed compression bypass which will make them more comfortable on the street when you hit those nasty bumps and expansion joints. The perfect damper for street / track use in my opinion.

I think the Ohlins product makes alot of sense for mixed use cars.
or hopping curbs on track

They also have an oil temp valve which controls flow so that when the shock oil get hot and thins, the shock still works the same (no shock fade). They are fantastic shocks for the money, and I'm bummed they don't make them for the Cayman.
I have them on my Miata though....

Compared to the JRZ RS1 (which I installed on my Cayman track car), I think the Ohlins are far superior in every way.

Stock shock re-valve is an option, but you still don't have adjustability, and it's an inferior shock still. I would simply run stiffer springs with stock shocks instead, which I did with good results, but Ohlins are in another league.

If I bought another 7GT3/RS, Ohlins R&T would be the first mod.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

OP- I agree with Spyerx for 10% track use or even up to 30% track use, OEM shocks with stiffer springs, adjustable rear toe links, and proper setup(rake, alignment, bumpsteer) is a good combo. There's also a product called DSC that will make OEM shocks work better than many entry level coilovers for dual purpose car.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
:

Compared to the JRZ RS1 (which I installed on my Cayman track car), I think the Ohlins are far superior in every way.
Have you compared them to JRZ rs pros? I know different price range and level. But just curious
Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Have you compared them to JRZ rs pros? I know different price range and level. But just curious
Sorry for speaking out of turn. I've been selling JRZ's since 2001, still do, and I drive cars with them all the time. RS1 can ride okay for street with 400-600 springs and fine for beginner/intermediate level track drivers. Helps when paired with heavy bars to provide platform. RS Pro is entry level club race shocks used on InterSeries and ITC race cars. Good club shocks for advanced/national instructor level drivers. regardless what spring rates beats you up on street- it's a race shock.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?