Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
If you are looking for...

No brainer solution...OEM
Something fun to try out...OEM with strut revolve and eliminate some of the rubber (e.g. dog bones)
Down the rabbit hole...go to BBi with your Amex black card
bump.
newbie 997.1 gt3 owner here.
considering aftermarket shocks vs OEM shocks for autocrossing.
all my prior cars got aftermarket shocks for autocrossing.

what is the advantage of inverting / revolving the strut? more clearance? more camber? or something else?

and if the disadvantage of motons is the loss of PASM, motons are adjustable anyway right?
is there another reason to keep PASM besides to control stiffness?
thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotating the strut = more camber
Motons > pasm

997.1 pasm was not to my liking
When I did finally do the motons I was mad that I had not done it sooner
Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

does the loss of PASM with aftermarket shocks cause any other sequelae? besides stiffness on the fly control in the 997.1 gt3?
after some reading, apparently you lose DEM in the 997.2 gt3. do those guys lose something else also?
thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by balefire
what is the advantage of inverting / revolving the strut? more clearance? more camber? or something else?
I assume you meant rotating the top plates on the front struts. The OEM top plate has two bolt patterns and offset center bearing. One pattern increases the distance between the left and right bearings to create less negative camber relative to the amount of shims on the lower control arms. The other pattern shortens the distance between the two bearings for more negative camber. Camber can also adjusted by shimming the lower control arms. Different chassis tuners and drivers have their own methods of setting the top plates and control arm shims.

Originally Posted by balefire
is there another reason to keep PASM besides to control stiffness?
Yes. The ability to use the next-level dynamic suspension technology via DSC and its tuning software.

Mark my words, every major shock manufacturer either has or is currently working on their own version of electronic shock. It is the future.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-25-2016, 03:43 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing

Mark my words, every major shock manufacturer either has or is currently working on their own version of electronic shock. It is the future.
How long will it take before we start seeing more electronic shocks released. Would hate for someone to buy high end JRZ or Ohlins and then have them release the electronic version.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:38 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I assume you meant rotating the top plates on the front struts. The OEM top plate has two bolt patterns and offset center bearing. One pattern increases the distance between the left and right bearings to create less negative camber relative to the amount of shims on the lower control arms. The other pattern shortens the distance between the two bearings for more negative camber. Camber can also adjusted by shimming the lower control arms. Different chassis tuners and drivers have their own methods of setting the top plates and control arm shims.

Yes. The ability to use the next-level dynamic suspension technology via DSC and its tuning software.

Any idea what camber you'll get with the top hats rotated and no shims in the LCA? I currently have the max amount of shims but lost too much caster, at about -2.8 camber.

I want to get to -3.5 but stock caster settings, is that doable from just rotating the top hat?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bmwtye
How long will it take before we start seeing more electronic shocks released
This is a question best answered by each shock manufacturer's marketing group. I'd keep an eye out for releases at SEMA or PRI show in the Fall.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Any idea what camber you'll get with the top hats rotated and no shims in the LCA? I currently have the max amount of shims but lost too much caster, at about -2.8 camber. I want to get to -3.5 but stock caster settings, is that doable from just rotating the top hat?
Depends on the ride height. With no shims, plates rotated inward, and all the way in on the slots, around -2.3 to -2.5 at stock ride height.

It is possible with adjustable thrust bushings and/or adjustable thrust arms.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

And it's begun

Name:  photo859.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  676.4 KB
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Depends on the ride height. With no shims, plates rotated inward, and all the way in on the slots, around -2.3 to -2.5 at stock ride height.

It is possible with adjustable thrust bushings and/or adjustable thrust arms.
Thanks, I wish you were closer so I could have you set up my car. Sounds like I'll need to rotate the plates and use some (but not as many as I have now) shims to get to -3.2 ish.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Any idea what camber you'll get with the top hats rotated and no shims in the LCA? I currently have the max amount of shims but lost too much caster, at about -2.8 camber.

I want to get to -3.5 but stock caster settings, is that doable from just rotating the top hat?
I have my front tops rotated. I use JRZ tops which also have the alternate set of holes. The Motorsport configuration places the top of the shock 14mm further towards the center of the car compared to the stock configuration. I use 997RSR LCAs with no shims resulting in -3.5º camber on the high side. This allows me to run 10" front wheels with 275 tires clearing the fender without any rubbing even at a 100mm ride height. The RSR LCAs have solid adjustable thrust bushing which allow you infinitely fine tune caster. Those are a must..
The following users liked this post:
lip- (09-14-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 02:15 PM
myztahe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumping this thread back up. Currently running OEM PASM with DSC controller (and 60K miles on the set) - I am looking to replace the suspension in my 997.1 GT3. Car is 90% street, 10% track.

I found a deal on a set of Motons that put them within $$$ range of a new Ohlins R&T or Bilstein B16 setup. Have not seen a lot of writeups on Motons, especially recently.
Can anyone chime in on Motons vs Ohlins R&T vs Bilstein B16 for a 997.1 GT3?
Old 09-13-2023, 11:14 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd run Ohlins R&T. Inverted monotube setup that rides great on the street, can crank up shocks to be great on track, long service intervals, and Ohlins build quality. I had a set on my 7.1RS and loved them. For your application, that is all you will ever need.
Ohlins FTW.

If you want double adjustable shocks, the Bilstein clubsport is THE most underrated shock package out there. Inverted monotube, fantastic bilstein valving, and double adjustable for even more ability to tailor handling if desired. I'd skip the B16 and go straight to Clubsports for a GT3. I've turned a few guys onto them in GT4 world, and they love them. I have re-valved sets on my M3 and GT4, and could not be happier. They aren't cheap but a few times a year they go on sale, even then, they are worth it at full price.

I'd personally skip the "boutique" companies like JRZ, Moton, etc. they are all ok IMO, but don't offer inverted monotubes, and tend to have shorter rebuild intervals. The JRZ monotubes I had on my old 987 race car were F-ing junk. In fact the Bilstein clubsporsts are so good, I almost went with them over Ohlins TTX for my .2RS. The spring rates strick a perfect balance of road and track worthiness, and also keep the balance. Too many other kits out there run way too close of spring rates F/R and just make the car understeer worse. The rates are about 500/900 on the clubsport package which is honestly perfect for a road and track car.

Last edited by Mvez; 09-13-2023 at 11:16 PM.
myztahe (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 11:51 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts

I have single adjustable mcs. Work great. Comfier and good on track.
myztahe (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 12:47 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I've had the JRZ Motorsport 3 ways with the 25mm pistons and large external reservoirs on my car for the past 5 years. They have been phenomenal without a single issue or rebuild. All the Motorsport shocks are specifically valved for each application and your specific spring rates but can handle a large range of springs. I run relatively heavy springs on my race car and amazingly they feel almost too soft. The JRZ factory support has been excellent and substantially better than most companies Stateside. There are lots of choices out there. If you have something you like, stick with it.

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-14-2023 at 12:49 AM.
myztahe (09-14-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?