Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 01:14 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,721 Posts

00Scrub has a set of EXE TC for sale last year. I don't think he sold them yet. Might be another option to look at. He's lowered his price from $6,000 to I have no idea what he would take now, if they are still available. Just google EXE TC 997 GT3.
The following users liked this post:
myztahe (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:23 PM
myztahe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
@00 Scrub has a set of EXE TC for sale last year. I don't think he sold them yet. Might be another option to look at. He's lowered his price from $6,000 to I have no idea what he would take now, if they are still available. Just google EXE TC 997 GT3.
I reached out to him about them but I don't think he's willing to let them go. Between the pricey (and long) rebuild as well as lack of installers with familiarity on a 15 year old product, I don't think he found my offer competitive Would still love the EXE-TC setup but the 2-Way Bilstein ClubSport package seems pretty nice considering it includes the monoball topmounts. MCS 2-Way also seem to be in the same ballpark.
RAudi Driver (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 02:25 PM
myztahe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
I'd run Ohlins R&T. Inverted monotube setup that rides great on the street, can crank up shocks to be great on track, long service intervals, and Ohlins build quality. I had a set on my 7.1RS and loved them. For your application, that is all you will ever need.
Ohlins FTW.

If you want double adjustable shocks, the Bilstein clubsport is THE most underrated shock package out there. Inverted monotube, fantastic bilstein valving, and double adjustable for even more ability to tailor handling if desired. I'd skip the B16 and go straight to Clubsports for a GT3. I've turned a few guys onto them in GT4 world, and they love them. I have re-valved sets on my M3 and GT4, and could not be happier. They aren't cheap but a few times a year they go on sale, even then, they are worth it at full price.

I'd personally skip the "boutique" companies like JRZ, Moton, etc. they are all ok IMO, but don't offer inverted monotubes, and tend to have shorter rebuild intervals. The JRZ monotubes I had on my old 987 race car were F-ing junk. In fact the Bilstein clubsporsts are so good, I almost went with them over Ohlins TTX for my .2RS. The spring rates strick a perfect balance of road and track worthiness, and also keep the balance. Too many other kits out there run way too close of spring rates F/R and just make the car understeer worse. The rates are about 500/900 on the clubsport package which is honestly perfect for a road and track car.
Thank you @Mvez ! I'll keep reading up on them - can you recommend a retailer (and possibly what time of year they tend to go on sale)?
Old 09-14-2023, 04:03 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by myztahe
I am looking to replace the suspension in my 997.1 GT3. Car is 90% street, 10% track.
Why are you looking to replace the OEM setup? What are you trying to achieve? Smoother ride, less bouncy for street driving? Are you going to keep the DSC controller? Given that the car is primarily a street car, why not stick with the OEM setup?

IMHO if you're trying to improve upon the OEM setup, I'd work with my local independent who is familiar with a particular brand. Unless you're going to a 2/3/4 way fully adjustable setup (Moton, Bilstein, Ohlins all about $8K+) and working with someone who knows how to get it dialed in, it's going to be difficult to exceed the performance of an OEM setup.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:14 PM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a set of KW Manthey racing coilovers I'm selling. Shoot me a PM if you're interested
Old 09-15-2023, 02:31 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Have you looked into the TracTive Suspension setups? They have a plug & play option for PASM that a lot of people seem to like. It’s what I plan to do when my stock setup goes out.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:30 AM
radr
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want double adjustable shocks, the Bilstein clubsport is THE most underrated shock package out there. Inverted monotube, fantastic bilstein valving, and double adjustable for even more ability to tailor handling if desired. I'd skip the B16 and go straight to Clubsports for a GT3. I've turned a few guys onto them in GT4 world, and they love them. I have re-valved sets on my M3 and GT4, and could not be happier. They aren't cheap but a few times a year they go on sale, even then, they are worth it at full price.
My understanding is that the Clubsport product for our GT3s has been discontinued. MCS would be my go-to at this point, but talk to your local race shop to see what they support. High-end adjustable shocks aren't worth much without being properly adjusted.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:20 PM
00 Scrub
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
00Scrub has a set of EXE TC for sale last year. I don't think he sold them yet. Might be another option to look at. He's lowered his price from $6,000 to I have no idea what he would take now, if they are still available. Just google EXE TC 997 GT3.
Thanks for the shout out.
I still have the set for sale. They were really great on the street. Improved turn in response over stock even with the DSC box.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:40 PM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ljmartyre
Have you looked into the TracTive Suspension setups? They have a plug & play option for PASM that a lot of people seem to like. It’s what I plan to do when my stock setup goes out.

Tractive is pricey right?
Old 09-16-2023, 03:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I've been running Ohlins TTX for quite some time. They are good.

Ohlins, JRZ, KW, Penske, Exetc, etc assuming their race level 2 or 3 or 4 way shocks are all great, can all work, and its 100% about the suspension being setup / valved / spring rates right for your application. Work with a shop that knows what they are doing or you may be disappointed in the end result.
myztahe (09-16-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 11:07 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by radr
My understanding is that the Clubsport product for our GT3s has been discontinued. MCS would be my go-to at this point, but talk to your local race shop to see what they support. High-end adjustable shocks aren't worth much without being properly adjusted.
Bummer, I just looked this up, and that seems to be the case. Not surprising though. Bilstein is a gigantic company, if they aren't selling something they just discontinue it. They still offer them for the newer GT cars, and PSI can support them for years to come. I just had my M3 clubsports re-vavled and serviced at PSI, and they also sold me and re-valved my GT4 kit last year.

Ohlins R&T still seem like the best option for the OP's intended use IMO. The spring rates will be better for dual use, with a focus on street driving, and a huge adjustment range makes them really comfy for the street, with the DFV as a bonus. For the price, I don't think you can't find a better inverted monotube single adjustable setup.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:06 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
Tractive is pricey right?
Seem to be on par with what I see for the boutique manus like JRZ and the like.
~6-7k

Bummer, I just looked this up, and that seems to be the case. Not surprising though. Bilstein is a gigantic company, if they aren't selling something they just discontinue it. They still offer them for the newer GT cars, and PSI can support them for years to come. I just had my M3 clubsports re-vavled and serviced at PSI, and they also sold me and re-valved my GT4 kit last year.

Ohlins R&T still seem like the best option for the OP's intended use IMO. The spring rates will be better for dual use, with a focus on street driving, and a huge adjustment range makes them really comfy for the street, with the DFV as a bonus. For the price, I don't think you can't find a better inverted monotube single adjustable setup.
I've only lightly considered replacements for my OE setup when the time comes but your posts on the Ohlins R&T does make me remember how much I enjoyed them on my previous M3s. Ive had pretty much any KW variant for my E46s and E92s. Ohlins R&T on both cars as well. Only JRZ on my F80 and on other various cars Ive had a few other brands not worth comparing - but I will say that the R&T were my favorite of any for the use case (light track, mostly canyons and street) and I wouldnt hesitate to use them on my GT3.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Suspension Upgrade: Ohlins? Motons? OEM?