Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What’s this pin? (Carbon Brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 03:21 PM
haripin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What’s this pin? (Carbon Brakes)

Can someone tell me what this pin is and why it’s so close to my carbon ceramic rotor?!

Is it time to replace pads? I didnt think they looked that low but I’m worried about how close this pin is to the rotor.

thanks!

Old 09-12-2023, 03:54 PM
radr
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's part of the caliper. It's what the bottom of the pad rests on. It doesn't move or wear.

Your pads appear to have plenty of life.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:09 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by radr
That's part of the caliper. It's what the bottom of the pad rests on. It doesn't move or wear.

Your pads appear to have plenty of life.
Thanks. I didn't think the pads needed to be changed but glad to have your confirmation.

That pin is awfully close to the rotor and there only seems to be 1 or 2mm's of clearance between the pad and the rotor, and for obvious reasons, that makes me nervous that if the pad wears down quickly that pin will contact the rotor
Old 09-12-2023, 06:36 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by haripin
Thanks. I didn't think the pads needed to be changed but glad to have your confirmation.

That pin is awfully close to the rotor and there only seems to be 1 or 2mm's of clearance between the pad and the rotor, and for obvious reasons, that makes me nervous that if the pad wears down quickly that pin will contact the rotor
No, the caliper does not move as the pads wear so that pin will never move. The pistons in the caliper are the only things that move and they push the pad along that pin. So the pads will get closer to the end of that pin (near the rotor), but the pin itself remains stationary. Nothing to worry about there. The only thing that can come in contact with rotor are your brake pads, and the backing plate, if you let the pads completely wear out.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:10 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8Lug
No, the caliper does not move as the pads wear so that pin will never move. The pistons in the caliper are the only things that move and they push the pad along that pin. So the pads will get closer to the end of that pin (near the rotor), but the pin itself remains stationary. Nothing to worry about there. The only thing that can come in contact with rotor are your brake pads, and the backing plate, if you let the pads completely wear out.
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the pin actuated. Glad to hear that's not the case. Appreciate everyone's help
Old 09-13-2023, 12:38 AM
RAudi Driver
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Time to remove a caliper to see how it functions. Your pads and rotors look to be in nice shape.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:32 AM
Specracer46
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If anything the gap from the rotor will increase over time as the rotor wears.

Quick Reply: What’s this pin? (Carbon Brakes)