Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:38 AM
epsdan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
That was after 3 Caymans swept the podium at Daytona when the factory backed Mazdas were out after 8 hours. 1 mechsnical on 3 Caymans in 24 hours, a blown cv. Fixed and back in for 3rd. Every engine survived, on the banks of Daytona.

Why hasn't it been run in Cups? Politics. The mothership didn't want it. They promulgated the Mezger myth. And you guys bought it and bought cars.

Others of us have been pushing for Cayman racecars ever since they came out. We won. This car is the precursor to the Cayman Cup. It won't be a GT3 class car so you still won't see it at LeMans or Daytona.
I love it every time you relive the GX class race at the 24. Big smile!

Politics is right - Maybe that's changing.... Why?

Because we may just see the GT4 at Daytona. Not in the Tudor Series, but possibly in Conti GS. Thoughts? It should be a solid GS car - The only reason why not would be brand confusion with the 911's running there now.

What do you think? Teece? Matt? Others?

dan
#38 ;-)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think they detuned it. In the interview Preuninger basically admits that they are lying and underating the engine. We regularly see over 400whp on 3.8swapped 987.2s with an exhaust and a flash. 7:40 at the Ring? Not from their claimed HP.

I don't see a GT4 RS coming out. That's not the point of this car. This car is to homologate and prepare for the sale of Cayman Cup Cars. With every car in their line going turbo 4 in the very near future, they are locking in 5 years of racing homologation by producing this vehicle. That's why Andreas at Motorsport is presenting this car. There's marketing at play here but it isn't to make a whole 5 or 6 model production offering of GT variant Boxsters and Caymans. I don't see that happening. But I do see 200-300 Cayman Cups worldwide per year through 2020.
I see this thinking as being pretty much on the money.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
" I have no interest in driving a souped up boxer. "

sorry, comments like this are dumb.
Agreed. Living in the past and just ignorant.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:05 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew_K
I see people throwing around $84K as the price for the GT4, but that's the *starting* price. I bet with options most of them will be closer to $100K.
This is the truth. If anyone is wondering, just try configuring one and prove it to yourself...
Old 02-05-2015, 03:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
i'll bet Mooty's cayman is being aggressively shopped....
i haven't thought about it yet. but for $150k, it can be bought

i drove 991gt3 and my cay on track bck to bck. 991 way faster but i really wont be tracking it anymore, not as fun
Old 02-05-2015, 04:26 AM
JuanCarpantier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
But if I was in the market to buy a used 997 GT3, honestly I'd hold off until the car magazines do their test drives and read a couple of reviews about the GT4.
I agree with this statement. Over here in the UK where I'm living as a US expat, the 997.1 GT3 market is so crazy that a 20k mile comfort is $106k USD. This makes the GT4 pretty attractive.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
This is the truth. If anyone is wondering, just try configuring one and prove it to yourself...
The 'stripper' I configured came to $97k and with the big ticket option being the seats. Did go for the nav though as I do a lot of road trips.

Last edited by JuanCarpantier; 02-05-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by epsdan
I love it every time you relive the GX class race at the 24. Big smile!

Politics is right - Maybe that's changing.... Why?

Because we may just see the GT4 at Daytona. Not in the Tudor Series, but possibly in Conti GS. Thoughts? It should be a solid GS car - The only reason why not would be brand confusion with the 911's running there now.

What do you think? Teece? Matt? Others?

dan
#38 ;-)
The "lower" (higher is number) GT classes have traditionally been true street car crossovers. Worldwide this car fits that FIA requirement. Here in the States it is also logical for our own unique variant of street stock production racing, which is less stock than many FIA GT cars elsewhere. Porsche no longer has a street car with a Mezger heart. Furthermore we are about to have every car in the line be a turbo flat 4. This Cayman locks in homologation for 5 years of production. They can build racecars off it until 2020, even after the flat 6 is effectively dead.

This car will replace the 997 Carrera in GS in Conti. Ever since the aluminum and glue chassis 981 and 991 cars came out PMNA has been saying," Don't cage them. You can't race them. They are unsafe in a high speed crash." Porsche had to come up with an answer. This car is that answer.

You can put a cage in it. They will cage it for you. This suggests to me structural chassis differences that allow caging, just like the 991 Cup has. The Cayman Cup, a factory built GT4 racecar is right around the corner. The big question I have is whether it will be delivered with a sequential gearbox or if there will be a market there to install my soon to be released Cayman sequential into one.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:05 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I'm saying your point isn't valid I have gt3, im in line for gt4 Also release video states times that would suggest it's faster than or equal to 997.2 gt3 on Nurburgring which means at Sonoma it'll fly by

Don't use cars for ladies use cars to chase the myth of the perfect lap, and I think the gt4 will do that well for 95k and 4 year warranty

Peter
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 592 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
PDK is expected 6 months after the release so it's interesting that they're offering both options here.

While I agree that's it's disappointing that the engine doesn't have track oriented upgrades I think it's worthy to note that the Tudor Caymans run an entire season on one engine and they are bone stock engines. So the 9A1 may be up to the task in stock form, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
How come none of us were footnoted in the video when they talk about how this motor has been tested on race tracks all over the world, especially in Europe?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read this thread backwards, and interesting to see how many forum members are thinking about adding a GT4 to their stable. Me, I wish I could put an early-mid '60's TR4 or MGB next to our GT3. Back in late '65, I learned how easy it was to drift every corner in the former on those scrawny bias ply tires. Every clover-leaf was drifted all the way around, maybe 40 mph, as easy as pie. With an even 100 ponies at the engine, there were no power-slides, but a 50:50 weight proportion and hard tires putting maybe 3 inches or less of rubber on the ground made every corner a rally-driver's delight. And the TR had this big chrome rear brake handle, letting me pull it up with my right hand, left hand on the wire-spoked steering wheel, to move the rear out a bit more in any turn. My '65 'B cornered better, being a wider car, esp after I put Semperit Radials on it, after wearing out the 5.60/13 inch bias ply tires.

If you have never driven an ancient, primitive English car, you have no idea how enjoyable driving quickly at low speeds can be. As for reliability, when I would arrive at some social event, I was always welcomed with "look, it's Hal, he made it." Because you just never knew. As a student at Nebraska, in the cold winters, I would bundle up and go out several times each night and sit in the car and run the motor to warm it up, and at first light, push several sterno cans under the sump, to put a little heat into the oil, avoiding the oil drips, or it would not start if the temps were below freezing. When I had my 'B, i wrapped the battery in an electric heater pad, and stuck a heated dipstick into the oil, which leaves a nasty burn on your hand when you absent-mindedly wipe it off with your hand to check the engine oil level. Once, on a long trip, had to use the shoelace off my Converse All Stars to tie a sparkplug wire back onto the engine.

But I will say that my TR drove me 1100 miles one winter day with no oil pressure, after I wiped the bearings on a cold start, as there were no multiwt oils back then. On the trip, put in four cans of STP, then changed to 50wt motorcycle oil, then with a hundred miles to go, drained that out and put 90wt gear oil in the sump. Dropped the pan, scraped out all the bearing material, slapped in new bearings, and that little tractor-based TR motor was good to go. Had to drive the 'B for a year with no first gear, as that cog was chipped, and I had to save up the 60 bucks to get it fixed.

So for a really enjoyable car, consider something vintage.

All the best...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:18 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 592 Likes on 262 Posts

Right, BGB running a season of Grand Am with Pumpelly at the wheel wasn't a real pro effort. That was after 3 Caymans swept the podium at Daytona when the factory backed Mazdas were out after 8 hours. 1 mechsnical on 3 Caymans in 24 hours, a blown cv. Fixed and back in for 3rd. Every engine survived, on the banks of Daytona.

None of those VLN teams who have run Caymans at the Ring for the last decade are pros. Just a bunch of poseurs running amateur 24 hour races.

Why hasn't it been run in Cups? Politics. The mothership didn't want it. They promulgated the Mezger myth. And you guys bought it and bought cars.

Others of us have been pushing for Cayman racecars ever since they came out. We won. This car is the precursor to the Cayman Cup. It won't be a GT3 class car so you still won't see it at LeMans or Daytona. But then again why are those the only real pro races? The Cayman took top 3 positions in the Conti "sprint" series last year. A sprint series composed of 2 hour races. How many if you ever run your gt3 2 hours without resting it?
I love Matt...always sticking up for his little brother! Big brother...don't waste your time. The world is full of enthusiasts who think that the Metzger is the only true race motor. They don't see the 9A1 as anything but a stock street motor. This is fine by me because I'll take the unproven street motor that carried Porsche teams to not 1, not 2 but 3 endurance Championships at the top tier of street stock racing and GT racing in North America. I guess no one likes stock motors that cost $15K and fall off 1% after 150 hours and don't require a rebuild, just a power washing! Experimental motors that were required to push the edge of the envelope NEVER EVER EVER had the benefit of a sequential and therefore motors that were lost were spun over 8125 RPM and while experimental, had to deal with repeated excessively high RPM downshifts. Never have we lost a 9A1 engine spun to 7850 RPM without missing a shift! The motor in that GT4 is the most bulletproof and awesome non-purpose built race motor to ever come out of Stuttgart.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
PDK is expected 6 months after the release so it's interesting that they're offering both options here.

While I agree that's it's disappointing that the engine doesn't have track oriented upgrades I think it's worthy to note that the Tudor Caymans run an entire season on one engine and they are bone stock engines. So the 9A1 may be up to the task in stock form, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
How come none of us were footnoted in the video when they talk about how this motor has been tested on race tracks all over the world? Dan Rogers did 24 hours of testing himself!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
I'd be looking at these when they're 30% off in a few years in the used market. These won't be limited in production so you know they'll be losing value as soon as you drive them off the lot. In 3-4 years, you pick up a nicely set up one at a discount and you're set for a track car.
See, I don't think this is accurate. One thing Porsche is pretty good at is keeping cars like this exclusive. I don't think this car will be any different. According to my dealer, they will probably do a run of about 6-700 cars. They are a pretty big dealer and they only got 3 or 4 GTS's.

BTW, before writing off the car, compare the numbers.

996 GT3 3050 lbs, 380 hp 285 lb ft of torque. MSRP 99k

Cayman GT4 2955 lbs, 385 hp, 309 lb ft of torque. MSRP 85k

100 lbs less, 24 lb ft more torque, 5 hp more, mid engine, 14k less. Modern electronics, and 10 more years of Porsche engineering and refinement. Can't wait until the test drives come out.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Correction. There's no such thing as a Tudor Cayman. Furthermore, only 1 of the 3 Caymans that ran Rolex Grand Am at Daytona ran the season. That was BGB's car. They changed the engine not too long into the season after Daytona, on principal. And then they quite spectacularly blew an engine at Watkins Glen. They may have changed it one more time. I think it was a 4 engine season.

That said, teams have not historically run all year on a single Mezger in a Grand Am Cup either. Usually 3 or 4 is the average. A PCA Club racer can get 50-100 hours out of one. A pro endurance race team is replacing them pretty religously at 40-50 hours.

I don't understand the Mezger obsession any more than I understand the rear engine worship. It's not a "motorsports based" engine as everyone always says. It started out as the 130bhp 2.0l heart for the original 911. It is a great design that has shown great adaptability and versatility to the point that the displacement has been doubled with the same basic architecture. But the constant 9A1 bashing and Mezger worship is as irrational as most of our other vehicular fetishes. It's an engine. To think that Porsche hasn't designed a highly advance technologically sound engine with their current family of engines is niave. Porsche makes good engines, Mezger or not. The lump in my '67 912 is a good engine too and powered the 356 for nearly two decades. But 911 guys don't give that one much credit either and only respect the Furhmann instead on the old cars.
Don't want to be a "dead horse" but ... Take a look at Excellence was Expected" by Karl Ludvigsen. A noted historian of all things Porsche. During the development of the GT1 Porsche was also developing its customer GT class effort. "The new six had such high performance bells and whistles as twin overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder. Superficially these met racing standards. However, the 6 was designed for rationale and low cost production above all. Racing was not a priority."

The Mezger GT1 architecture is a "proper racing engine". Yes "detuned" for the road - but it's all there. Action speak louder then words. With the current 911 RSR still using the Gt1 based engine, it appears the low cost production 9a1 engine is not up to the task of FIA/ACO endurance racing.

Many of us drawn to the GT3 (996 & 997) is in part because of the motorsport providence. That same motorsport connection was what drew people to the early Porsche models starting with the 356.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by johnr265
See, I don't think this is accurate. One thing Porsche is pretty good at is keeping cars like this exclusive. I don't think this car will be any different. According to my dealer, they will probably do a run of about 6-700 cars. They are a pretty big dealer and they only got 3 or 4 GTS's. BTW, before writing off the car, compare the numbers. 996 GT3 3050 lbs, 380 hp 285 lb ft of torque. MSRP 99k Cayman GT4 2955 lbs, 385 hp, 309 lb ft of torque. MSRP 85k 100 lbs less, 24 lb ft more torque, 5 hp more, mid engine, 14k less. Modern electronics, and 10 more years of Porsche engineering and refinement. Can't wait until the test drives come out.
Sorry to say this but your dealer is being dishonest. To make the gt4 as rare as the 4.0 is BS. I bet you it will be made in at least as many as 1.3
But I like the comp with 6.3. The gt4 will drive circles around my old 6.3!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
i like what theyve done with the GT4. the HP wars are getting ridiculous and will do nothing more than get people in jail. a little less power with great suspension, brakes, and a lot of soul. i like it!!
Agree 100 percent...

Quick Reply: GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?