Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:01 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah especially in cities like ours which are gridlocked most of the time.
400 usable hp is definitely enough for (semi), (amateur) professional drivers.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Great thread. The current enthusiasm keeps sport propose cars on the radar. It's good to verify there is a market for them.

Time will tell how this effects the Motorsport world. What motor will Porsche run in the next gen. Cup cars...will there be a Cayman cup? What car/cars will Homologate the new era of Porsche Racing.

I have owned a few of these crazy cars. The ones that put the biggest smile on my face are race cars posing as street cars.

Even though a 997 GTS would be plenty of car for my daily driving habits.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Great thread. The current enthusiasm keeps sport propose cars on the radar. It's good to verify there is a market for them.

Time will tell how this effects the Motorsport world. What motor will Porsche run in the next gen. Cup cars...will there be a Cayman cup? What car/cars will Homologate the new era of Porsche Racing.

I have owned a few of these crazy cars. The ones that put the biggest smile on my face are race cars posing as street cars.

I would not be surprised if they homologated the GT4 ... but its a good question about what (motorsports) engine would a race version of the GT4 sport ... not too mention the 911s for that matter!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Originally Posted by twentyseven
It's funny how many wannabe GrandAm drivers disregard anything without a Mezger motor.. Seems you've forgetten the 9A1 still makes over 100hp/L and is no slouch in it's own right. 991C2S are breaking into the 11's as it is... this car will boogie. Besides I can't think of any DI motor that has any heritage yet! If you love your GT3's, GREAT! Superb cars and no one is making you get rid of them for a GT4. Fact is, if you want a new 911 with 3 pedals and a warranty, Porsche STILL makes cars for you. Stop whining about the new 991 GT3 and buy a C2S or a GTS - they will probably exceed the performance of your 996/997's. And if that's not good enough for the noisiest purists then they should should put their money where their mouths are and buy a used RS already. After 16pgs of speculation from people who have never driven this car yet, let me remind you guys the Cayman GTS has been pretty well-regarded since it's arrival, so I can't imagine the GT4 will not exceed expectations. Obviously certain compromises were made (like putting the engine in the proper place lmao) but smile! Porsche listened and is now offering a brand new version of the old formula everyone has been asking for. So what if it doesn't have 475hp? Odds are it will have some form of a Powerkit and still be too much car for the HPDE Champions.
Just curious. You ever owned a GT3?

It's not just the Metzger motor.....997 GT 3 shares very few things with the 997/991.. That is why I own one. Not because the other cars are not great cars. There just not GT3's.

The GT 4 does not check that box, but it is still a great concept that will be a blast to drive and more than enough car for most people.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be fun to drive the GT4 when it arrives but the GT3 stays.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

not fair. you have had some of the best RS's porsche ever made!!!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
not fair. you have had some of the best RS's porsche ever made!!!
Lucky that way

It makes me sick that what make those cars special is probably gone forever.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ that i agree..
i know a rubystone living close to u....
i am putting together an ad to ebay my kids, then i can probably afford the rubystone car.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 PM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Just curious. You ever owned a GT3?

It's not just the Metzger motor.....997 GT 3 shares very few things with the 997/991.. That is why I own one. Not because the other cars are not great cars. There just not GT3's.

The GT 4 does not check that box, but it is still a great concept that will be a blast to drive and more than enough car for most people.
Had a Panamera GTS but never a GT3; got lots of seat time in a 996 GT3 and GT2RS though. I've been wanting to pick up a 997 for a couple years once the timing was right for me but the recent upswing in values has turned me off. I don't think they are worth the speculation premium - this car is a better value proposition for me. For $125+ I'd prefer a new 991 or used GT2.

At <$100k however the GT4 checks all the same boxes. I think it recaptures some of the classic 911 essence lost in modern iterations while incorporating great new tech. I honestly couldn't care less if the motor has been raced or not as this is a street toy at the end of the day. The prospect of spec'ing a brand new Porsche is exciting enough to overlook certain minutiae. Many of us lack the means/garage space to just add cars; I will have to thin my herd to make room so it's a decision I don't take lightly!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
^ that i agree.. i know a rubystone living close to u.... i am putting together an ad to ebay my kids, then i can probably afford the rubystone car.
Yes it's a beauty

Some day i will own another one.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Originally Posted by twentyseven
Had a Panamera GTS but never a GT3; got lots of seat time in a 996 GT3 and GT2RS though. I've been wanting to pick up a 997 for a couple years once the timing was right for me but the recent upswing in values has turned me off. I don't think they are worth the speculation premium - this car is a better value proposition for me. For $125+ I'd prefer a new 991 or used GT2. At <$100k however the GT4 checks all the same boxes. I think it recaptures some of the classic 911 essence lost in modern iterations while incorporating great new tech. I honestly couldn't care less if the motor has been raced or not as this is a street toy at the end of the day. The prospect of spec'ing a brand new Porsche is exciting enough to overlook certain minutiae. Many of us lack the means/garage space to just add cars; I will have to thin my herd to make room so it's a decision I don't take lightly!
It will be a great street car. I remember the first Porsche I ordered. First 997 in Oregon. I am currently trying to buy it back. Something about a car your order new...

Do it you will love it. Nothing like the day the dealer calls and says your car is ready. Takes me back to the week I had to wait for my first car at 16. Hard to recreate that excitement at 45.... For me anyways.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:10 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Man some people are just ready to drive a 997 GT3 over the cliff because it dared to go up in price to a place where it turned them off. As an owner of a 991 C2S and a previous owner of a 997 I will completely agree JBarnes RS-the days of the 997 type drive are likely gone. While I love my 991 C2S it is very different than my 997. The rawness of the 997 platform is something that always puts a smile on my face despite the speed you are traveling at. The new 991 platform is so capable that you need to push it hard to extract the excitement out of it.

A car does not become a competitor simply based on a MT and a warranty. I am sure the GT4 will be an amazing car but will it be exactly the same as a 997 GT3 doubt it. Maybe it will be better for some and not for others. But I doubt highly doubt the 997 GT3 and GT4 will provide the same driving experience. Just like the 991 GT3 and the 997 GT3 completely different cars both outstanding.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 AM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

It will be a great street car. I remember the first Porsche I ordered. First 997 in Oregon. I am currently trying to buy it back. Something about a car your order new...

Do it you will love it. Nothing like the day the dealer calls and says your car is ready. Takes me back to the week I had to wait for my first car at 16. Hard to recreate that excitement at 45.... For me anyways.
Euro delivery will be an imperative! Never been across the pond nor have I ever spec'd a car so that experience is a driving force behind the purchase. It would be nice to feel teenage excitement again in my 30's. You better manage to with that list in your sig

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
Man some people are just ready to drive a 997 GT3 over the cliff because it dared to go up in price to a place where it turned them off. As an owner of a 991 C2S and a previous owner of a 997 I will completely agree JBarnes RS-the days of the 997 type drive are likely gone. While I love my 991 C2S it is very different than my 997. The rawness of the 997 platform is something that always puts a smile on my face despite the speed you are traveling at. The new 991 platform is so capable that you need to push it hard to extract the excitement out of it.

A car does not become a competitor simply based on a MT and a warranty. I am sure the GT4 will be an amazing car but will it be exactly the same as a 997 GT3 doubt it. Maybe it will be better for some and not for others. But I doubt highly doubt the 997 GT3 and GT4 will provide the same driving experience. Just like the 991 GT3 and the 997 GT3 completely different cars both outstanding.
997 GT3 is an awesome car! If I had enough disposable cash I wouldn't turn my nose up at it BUT we are witnessing how supply/demand works. My demand is not as high as others so I simply must look elsewhere for now. A 996 GT3 can be had for much less (currently) and still has the prestige while a 997 GT2 packs a lot more punch at the same price point. Aural experience aside, i've been spoiled by Turbos and V8's and I already have an E46 M3 that makes some pretty good noises.

Nothing will be exactly the same, that's the best part. Choose the one that suits YOU best and we will continue to enjoy each others' variety at meets/events!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

+1 at the heart of it we all belong to the same Porsche family
Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a 7.2 GT3. But I am also super excited about the GT4. It is the almost the car I dream of - a GT with mid engine balance. Yea, the engine is not special, but at 85k, something had to give - they are not stupid to give you a GT3 engine too on top of everything else for 50k less in a better chassis. Anyway, I plan to get the 4, and if I don't like it, will sell it.

Quick Reply: GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?