Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
That is much needed. Now get that GT350 and run the **** out of it so I can make a decision. Waiting till 2016 is going to try my patience.

Peter
My deposit is in. Am number 2 at a large dealer. Now just need for them to start building them. Afraid it won't be here till fall of this year and will thus be garage ornament until 2016. Hard to wait!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
I don't have a dog in this fight but I don't see the Cayman GT4 customer being the same as the GT3 customer.

I see the GT4 customer wanting to race in a spec series.
I agree the GT4 customer may want to race in a spec series, but so do the GT3 customers and Porsche has provided us the Cup car and we have a number of spec series. Be nice if Porsche prepares a GT4 Cup and creates another catagory for spec series racing!

I think there is a crossover of customers, which is why all the GT4 threads are in the GT3 forum section, not the Cayman sections. The GT3 customer will buy the car if they like what they see. Then there is a new GT customer given the lower price point.

I have been a long time Porsche customer in GT cars and Cup Cars. I will get a GT4, if allocated one at my dealer. I like the idea of this car, size, weight and the 6 speed manual (I am a pdk lover, but like a good 6 speed as well), it looks like it will be a very fun car and at a lower price point, so why not jump in!

Key here is will GT4 steal a few GT3 sales - it might - but if so Porsche just pushes the GT3 and GT3 RS further up market, sells a few less and make additional profit. I see no downside for Porsche here!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:04 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
I agree the GT4 customer may want to race in a spec series, but so do the GT3 customers and Porsche has provided us the Cup car and we have a number of spec series. Be nice if Porsche prepares a GT4 Cup and creates another catagory for spec series racing!

I think there is a crossover of customers, which is why all the GT4 threads are in the GT3 forum section, not the Cayman sections. The GT3 customer will buy the car if they like what they see. Then there is a new GT customer given the lower price point.
I don't know which RL you belong to, but I see two Cayman specific forums and they both have GT4 threads in them, as does the racing forum, some of the turbo forums, and several other. -

The Cayman Cup, which is coming, will be a feeder series for Carrera Cup, among other things. A $125-150k turnkey racecar will lower operating costs than a Cup. The hook gets set, the driver gets some skills, and 2-3 years later they buy a Cup. Porsche has a plan.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I don't know which RL you belong to, but I see two Cayman specific forums and they both have GT4 threads in them, as does the racing forum, some of the turbo forums, and several other. -

The Cayman Cup, which is coming, will be a feeder series for Carrera Cup, among other things. A $125-150k turnkey racecar will lower operating costs than a Cup. The hook gets set, the driver gets some skills, and 2-3 years later they buy a Cup. Porsche has a plan.
^
yup.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but there will also be a lot of guys sick of the cost of gt3 cup racing moving down to cayman cup.
could make for a very crowded series, which is good for racing in general!
the cup scene, over here at least, has had diminished interest in recent times.
porsche needs a new series with new blood.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
My deposit is in. Am number 2 at a large dealer. Now just need for them to start building them. Afraid it won't be here till fall of this year and will thus be garage ornament until 2016. Hard to wait!
Ship it to FL for January 2016 and bring the family for a vacation at Sebring.

Peter
Old 02-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Or ship it to California. Prime trackin' season right now!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice car and exciting for the Cayman fans. Is it just me, but the back wing appears like it was just stuck on like a cheap aftermarket? Enjoy, but no substitute for the .1 GT3.

Also, this keeps the new GT3 a PDK. GT4 is Porsche's answer to the small percentage manual demand.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
If you want to limit the term "Mezger engine" to water cooled then there is truth to want you say. It predates the GT1 and started with the 962, the first water cooled Porsche flat 6. But even then the basic architecture came out of the original street car engines, which is how it should be in GT racing. GT racing has always required homologation production and street cars. They made both GT1 and 917 street cars to meet those rules.

I also don't buy your claim that the 9A1 is not up to FIA/ACO standards. The reason they ran a mezger at LeMans last year is because the engine rules are changing. Porsche couldn't build a new engine to a spec that wasn't yet announced. They stuck with what was homologated. They haven't homologated the 9A1. They couldn't legally race it even if they wanted to. A new engine is coming. It will be to the new FIA/ACO spec.
Yes and No. The 9a1 meets current FIA technical regulations and production numbers to be homologated. Porsche chose not to - nothing more than that.

Hartmut Kristen had indicated in an EXCELLENCE article that Porsche was not willing to invest millions into a new motorsport engine until the new 2015/2016 technical regulations are in place. All indications is that Porsche Motorsort will wait for the new technical regulations to be in place before developing a new engine and continue to race with Mezger.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
+1. They are the Apple of race car/part manufacturers. This car makes total sense, lots of GT4 racecars out there, Aston, BMW, Lotus, etc. etc....they simply made their own "gateway" car to the 911 Cup car, instead of letting them buy another mark.

Plus, by now, everybody knows that even for privateers racing a Cup car is big bucks, or that the 911 GT America still requires LOTS of upgrades and investment to run with the big boys. Don't even think about what it costs to run a GT3-R.

GT4 race car will be able to run in PWC - GTS class, GT4 Europe, Conti-GS. They can also run single make series, just like Aston and others do with their GT4 Cayman.

I'm not married to the mezger, and the repair and operating costs are a problem, and Porsche knows this. Just look at why so many GT3 based teams switched to cars like the Audi R8 LMS because of huge engine service intervals.....huge cost savings over the coarse of a season.

I think this whole GT4 campaign is brilliant, and my guess is there will be a host of cool, factory motorsports parts that can be bought and slapped on your GT4 as well. The GT4 cars share so, so much more with the road cars. Just look at how all the guys with E92 M3's have their cars running on GT4 equipment. That's cool, and it's real motorsport stuff, not some janky aftermarket parts.
Believe the issue is more to do with the 911 GT3 R being less competitive today.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Yes and No. The 9a1 meets current FIA technical regulations and production numbers to be homologated. Porsche chose not to - nothing more than that.

Hartmut Kristen had indicated in an EXCELLENCE article that Porsche was not willing to invest millions into a new motorsport engine until the new 2015/2016 technical regulations are in place. All indications is that Porsche Motorsort will wait for the new technical regulations to be in place before developing a new engine and continue to race with Mezger.
You seem to be missing that the 2nd sentence you highlighted is predicated on the first. It is not legal BECAUSE they they didn't homologated it. At no point did I say they couldn't homologated it. You are saying the same thing I said. They chose not to and decided to keep using what they had.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Rolltide86
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997s07
So why not take the 3.4L engine and make it really high revving along with a true dry sump? Get over the 100hp/L mark more significantly. It'll be a fun car, but no GT3. The 997 cars look better also. This car would never replace my GT3.
That is where I ended up. Was seriously considering this to replace my 997.2 GT3, but decided that would be a bad call.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
I'd be looking at these when they're 30% off in a few years in the used market. These won't be limited in production so you know they'll be losing value as soon as you drive them off the lot. In 3-4 years, you pick up a nicely set up one at a discount and you're set for a track car.
For this reason alone it's really hard for me to imagine that many GT3 (and certainly GT3 RS) owners are going to jump ship for a Cayman GT4. There is something special about a rare car, and I'm afraid that this is diluting the GT brand to build so many cars. Granted even Ferrari and Lamborghini act this way now as the worldwide demand for rare and fast cars is WAY up from decades ago.

I'll be happily slumming along with my old GT3 RS, although I do like the new GT4!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 AM
epsdan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Dan Rogers did 24 hours of testing himself!
Not wanting to 'jack the thread, but ...

You crack me up, John - but that was one heck of a race. The Cayman's set up by Grand-Am to be "also rans" for the Factory Mazdas, and we sweep the podium. All we heard from Porsche was ---- crickets - but the Porsche streak continued.

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
For this reason alone it's really hard for me to imagine that many GT3 (and certainly GT3 RS) owners are going to jump ship for a Cayman GT4. There is something special about a rare car, and I'm afraid that this is diluting the GT brand to build so many cars. Granted even Ferrari and Lamborghini act this way now as the worldwide demand for rare and fast cars is WAY up from decades ago.

I'll be happily slumming along with my old GT3 RS, although I do like the new GT4!
Steve - I don't know if I will sell my RS (although with spring coming to the Northwest, interest is picking up, and it's still for sale), but either way, I'm excited about the GT4.

I gotta get off this thread and get back to "configurating". ;-)

Dan
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

interesting to see that some dealers are taking deposits. i called the 3 nearest dealers to me and they all said they are just putting together an "interest list" since they have no idea what allocations they will get and they can't even enter an order in their system at this time.

Quick Reply: GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?