Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
If I recall, that was an issue limited to the RS. Don't recall any narrow body GT3's having that issue.
I think the "unbalanced" harmonics caused it in most people's eyes. I don't know what else it could be.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess i was one of the lucky ones, didnt have that issue in my RS
Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like what theyve done with the GT4. the HP wars are getting ridiculous and will do nothing more than get people in jail. a little less power with great suspension, brakes, and a lot of soul. i like it!!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:42 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
People always seem for forget the pulled head studs on the 2.7s, broken head studs on the 3.0, bad valve guides on the 3.2, and leaking cylinders on the 3.6 air cooled Mezger engines. It is irrational worship. The engine family has had tons of issues over the years. Took them decades to "perfect" it as it sits in the GT3.
I agree. Let's keep things in perspective. The Mezger is an amazing motor, but it's not without its faults. DeputyDog95 basically came 60 ft away from dying when his Mezger puked coolant on the back straight at 120 mph.

I will say though. Just something different about the 996/997 GT3's compared to the 991. Just a raw feel. Small, nimble, and all those noises. Of course these characteristics go from charming and surreal to a rage inducing nightmare if the drive lasts any more than one hour. : )
Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Greek
Of course these characteristics go from charming and surreal to a rage inducing nightmare if the drive lasts any more than one hour. : )
Lol. I'm nauseous from laughing. Even if there is a lot of truth to that.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:55 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Nevertheless, the basic architecture was used in real pro races. An opportunity the 9A1 still has not been given. The real question is why! I won't hide the appeal to me that a GT1 block is in my garage. But I'm genuinely interested in why the 9A1 isn't raced professionally in the cup cars and RSR.
Right, BGB running a season of Grand Am with Pumpelly at the wheel wasn't a real pro effort. That was after 3 Caymans swept the podium at Daytona when the factory backed Mazdas were out after 8 hours. 1 mechsnical on 3 Caymans in 24 hours, a blown cv. Fixed and back in for 3rd. Every engine survived, on the banks of Daytona.

None of those VLN teams who have run Caymans at the Ring for the last decade are pros. Just a bunch of poseurs running amateur 24 hour races.

Why hasn't it been run in Cups? Politics. The mothership didn't want it. They promulgated the Mezger myth. And you guys bought it and bought cars.

Others of us have been pushing for Cayman racecars ever since they came out. We won. This car is the precursor to the Cayman Cup. It won't be a GT3 class car so you still won't see it at LeMans or Daytona. But then again why are those the only real pro races? The Cayman took top 3 positions in the Conti "sprint" series last year. A sprint series composed of 2 hour races. How many if you ever run your gt3 2 hours without resting it?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 343 Posts

Was talking along the lines of watercooled 'GT1' Mezger, but same more-or-less applies for the air-coolers as well...yes they had issues, but were repairable issues(Timecerts, better guides, revised H.G.'s...
m96(in particular) and 9a1 have 'irreparable' issues.
They all run great...beyond that we might have to agree to disagree on the engine issues.

People always seem for forget the pulled head studs on the 2.7s, broken head studs on the 3.0, bad valve guides on the 3.2, and leaking cylinders on the 3.6 air cooled Mezger engines. It is irrational worship. The engine family has had tons of issues over the years. Took them decades to "perfect" it as it sits in the GT3.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Right, BGB running a season of Grand Am with Pumpelly at the wheel wasn't a real pro effort. None of those VLN teams who have run Caymans at the Ring for the last decade are pros. Just a bunch of poseurs running amateur 24 hour races.
Hey man, no need to get sarcastic. I didn't talk about Caymans. Read my post again. I was talking about Cup and RSR cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Right, BGB running a season of Grand Am with Pumpelly at the wheel wasn't a real pro effort. That was after 3 Caymans swept the podium at Daytona when the factory backed Mazdas were out after 8 hours. 1 mechsnical on 3 Caymans in 24 hours, a blown cv. Fixed and back in for 3rd. Every engine survived, on the banks of Daytona.

None of those VLN teams who have run Caymans at the Ring for the last decade are pros. Just a bunch of poseurs running amateur 24 hour races.

Why hasn't it been run in Cups? Politics. The mothership didn't want it. They promulgated the Mezger myth. And you guys bought it and bought cars.

Others of us have been pushing for Cayman racecars ever since they came out. We won. This car is the precursor to the Cayman Cup. It won't be a GT3 class car so you still won't see it at LeMans or Daytona. But then again why are those the only real pro races? The Cayman took top 3 positions in the Conti "sprint" series last year. A sprint series composed of 2 hour races. How many if you ever run your gt3 2 hours without resting it?
I actually bought a Cayman also and will send it to BGB once it dies.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
" I have no interest in driving a souped up boxer. " sorry, comments like this are dumb.
Dumb....I don't have any interest. It's a boxer with out a rag top.

If I had unlimited space and time to drive more than a few cars I may give the car a try.....after I tried 10 other cars first.

I tried to buy a boxer spider. It's a cool car love the sounds, seats, alloy hood, doors crazy top...Could not pull the trigger. Still a Boxer.

These cars will be $60k in a couple years. I don't need to lose $35k and don't need another track car.

Time will tell if this car fades into insignificant porsche model land. I doubt it will go down in porsche history in the top 20.

This is another step in the new direction for Porsche. Maybe a gimmick to try and further the image of the Cayman. It adds a little credibility and inspires the faithful Cayman lover. It is defiantly a move that further pushes the 991 into a comfy GT cruiser. The reality of it is the next generation will not have near the wealth. Concentrating on a entry level car that more people can afford makes good business sense. Just like everything else Porsche is doing these days. Remember Porsche did not start making real money until they expanded the Line up to include more of the masses.

The real Porsche company that hooked most of us left the building when the 991 was hatched.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Hey man, no need to get sarcastic. I didn't talk about Caymans. Read my post again. I was talking about Cup and RSR cars.
Sarcasm is both a part of my personality and the internet as a culture. One needs to remember that I am picking apart your argument, not you. It's not personal. It is a debate and discussion. Ask anyone who knows me in person, I'm just as sarcastic. I repeat, there is no personal attack within those words.

Maybe you meant to say real pro racecars. You said real pro races. and I answered your Cup question. It is why the post was edited.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Sarcasm is both a part of my personality and the internet as a culture. One needs to remember that I am picking apart your argument, not you. It's not personal. It is a debate and discussion. Ask anyone who knows me in person, I'm just as sarcastic. I repeat, there is no personal attack within those words.

Maybe you meant to say real pro racecars. You said real pro races. and I answered your Cup question. It is why the post was edited.
Didn't take it personally. I'm sarcastic as well.

Mid engine always trumps rear engine, but Porsche sells Cups and RSRs with GT1 blocks. But no 9A1 DFI engines. That's what my issues are.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Dumb....I don't have any interest. It's a boxer with out a rag top.

If I had unlimited space and time to drive more than a few cars I may give the car a try.....after I tried 10 other cars first.

I tried to buy a boxer spider. It's a cool car love the sounds, seats, alloy hood, doors crazy top...Could not pull the trigger. Still a Boxer.

These cars will be $60k in a couple years. I don't need to lose $35k and don't need another track car.

Time will tell if this car fades into insignificant porsche model land. I doubt it will go down in porsche history in the top 20.

This is another step in the new direction for Porsche. Maybe a gimmick to try and further the image of the Cayman. It adds a little credibility and inspires the faithful Cayman lover. It is defiantly a move that further pushes the 991 into a comfy GT cruiser. The reality of it is the next generation will not have near the wealth. Concentrating on a entry level car that more people can afford makes good business sense. Just like everything else Porsche is doing these days. Remember Porsche did not start making real money until they expanded the Line up to include more of the masses.

The real Porsche company that hooked most of us left the building when the 991 was hatched.
These boxsters with hard tops with a reasonable driver will make the 997 GT3s look silly especially on tracks without huge straights ALA west coast as they blow by

Depreciation is a fair comment, but the Cayman R hasn't been hit that hard and I'd argue this is more special
Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
These boxsters with hard tops with a reasonable driver will make the 997 GT3s look silly especially on tracks without huge straights ALA west coast as they blow by Depreciation is a fair comment, but the Cayman R hasn't been hit that hard and I'd argue this is more special

Silly I doubt it. Who cares Neither of them can keep up with my 993 cup car. 918 beats them all. Your missing the point....

I am a purist. What porsche is currently pushing does nothing for me.

I would rather drive my 964 RS clone than the 997.2 RS most days.

Back to the point of my thread. Cayman owners and 911 owners don't usually cross over. Similar to the old days when the 944 Turbo guys would rationalize their cars to the 911 owners in the parking lot at the gut behind Dunkin Doughnuts. My 86 Carrera may have lost the HP discussion but it always won the lady war....
Old 02-05-2015, 01:09 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
Silly I doubt it. Who cares Neither of them can keep up with my 993 cup car. 918 beats them all. Your missing the point.... I am a purist. What porsche is currently pushing does nothing for me. I would rather drive my 964 RS clone than the 997.2 RS most days. Back to the point of my thread. Cayman owners and 911 owners don't usually cross over. Similar to the old days when the 944 Turbo guys would rationalize their cars to the 911 owners in the parking lot at the gut behind Dunkin Doughnuts. My 86 Carrera may have lost the HP discussion but it always won the lady war....
I'm saying your point isn't valid I have gt3, im in line for gt4 Also release video states times that would suggest it's faster than or equal to 997.2 gt3 on Nurburgring which means at Sonoma it'll fly by

Don't use cars for ladies use cars to chase the myth of the perfect lap, and I think the gt4 will do that well for 95k and 4 year warranty

Quick Reply: GT 4 vs 997 GT 3 same customer?