Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 11:44 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
No, it will not work because the OEM PASM module are uniquely coded to communicate with other electronic systems on the car that the OEM module was intended for. If you plug a 997.2 GT3 PASM module to a 997.1 GT3 car you will immediate get an error message on the dash and the commands will be locked out. I think the OEM people coded each part number module differently to prevent end users from swapping modules to different models of 997 cars, i.e., if you want a certain stiffness level of command for the dampers don't buy the another OEM module, buy the whole car! I know this because during the development period of the 997 DSC module we had to compile every possible comm code...it was a real pain. But the effort had proven to be fruitful.
It makes sense, disappointing none the less. Thanks Tom.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:17 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Running DSC + accelerometer + Tractives on a 997.1.

Does the record function during normal street driving prove correct operation and comms of the DSC and accelerometer?

Is there any other effective test that proves the DSC and accelerometer are operating correctly?

I have done probably 30 days on track with the DSC and last time out something was off. The car felt different and the most apparent issue was the car feeling like it was bouncing through high speed corners (as opposed to feeling it load up and then stay constant).

Physical suspension components and alignment all checked out and I thought maybe the unit lost its config/settings. I have cleared them all and reloaded my configuration, then re-read them to ensure they are indeed saved correctly.

I would love to confirm the comms is as it should be before going to the track.. appreciate any advice on the best way to confirm!

thanks
Matty

Old 12-08-2020, 02:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
Running DSC + accelerometer + Tractives on a 997.1.

Does the record function during normal street driving prove correct operation and comms of the DSC and accelerometer?

Is there any other effective test that proves the DSC and accelerometer are operating correctly?

I have done probably 30 days on track with the DSC and last time out something was off. The car felt different and the most apparent issue was the car feeling like it was bouncing through high speed corners (as opposed to feeling it load up and then stay constant).

Physical suspension components and alignment all checked out and I thought maybe the unit lost its config/settings. I have cleared them all and reloaded my configuration, then re-read them to ensure they are indeed saved correctly.

I would love to confirm the comms is as it should be before going to the track.. appreciate any advice on the best way to confirm!

thanks
Matty
The DSC Data Record function is exactly for testing the system. You can do a data test in the paddock or in an empty parking lot.

You can also read fault codes with DSC software.

Other support videos are on the DSC website- https://www.dscsport.com/support-videos/

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-08-2020, 04:28 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom.

There is a fault code on --RF shock open-- when the car is running (and several when the car is not, which I assume is power supply related)
and in the test drive all 4 shocks stayed at a reading of 10 and the yaw index table stayed at a reading of 0 (see attached pmed)

Had checked the wiring previously and it all looks ok. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matty

Attached Files
File Type: txt
DSCFaults_CarNotRunning.txt (634 Bytes, 21 views)
DSCFaults_CarRunning.txt (630 Bytes, 22 views)
DSC_pmedTestDrive.pmed.txt (140.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:36 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Tom.

There is a fault code on --RF shock open-- when the car is running (and several when the car is not, which I assume is power supply related)
and in the test drive all 4 shocks stayed at a reading of 10 and the yaw index table stayed at a reading of 0 (see attached pmed)

Had checked the wiring previously and it all looks ok. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matty
Check the RF shock connector to see that it is connected properly. Also check the RF shock cable from underneath the car to see if the cable got cut by debris. Lastly you can check the electrical resistance of the RF shocks, the proper resistance value across the two contact pins should be 3 Ohms to 20 Ohms.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:47 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

I have checked the wiring and it all looks fine.

If there was a problem with the RF wiring, wouldnt the other 3 shocks function normally? Or does the DSC shut down all 4 if there is an issue with 1?

None of the shocks showed any life during the test drive - they all stayed at a constant value of 10 and the yaw table at zero throughout.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have checked the wiring and it all looks fine.

If there was a problem with the RF wiring, wouldnt the other 3 shocks function normally? Or does the DSC shut down all 4 if there is an issue with 1?

None of the shocks showed any life during the test drive - they all stayed at a constant value of 10 and the yaw table at zero throughout.
If one is offline, then all four will lock out by default. This is the same default protocol as the factory PASM controller.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:06 PM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

No, it will not work because the OEM PASM module are uniquely coded to communicate with other electronic systems on the car that the OEM module was intended for. If you plug a 997.2 GT3 PASM module to a 997.1 GT3 car you will immediate get an error message on the dash and the commands will be locked out. I think the OEM people coded each part number module differently to prevent end users from swapping modules to different models of 997 cars, i.e., if you want a certain stiffness level of command for the dampers don't buy the another OEM module, buy the whole car! I know this because during the development period of the 997 DSC module we had to compile every possible comm code...it was a real pain. But the effort had proven to be fruitful.
Tom, are the default settings in the DSC modules the same for a 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 RS? If not can you tell me what I need to adjust to end up with the same settings?
Old 12-09-2020, 10:33 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Mick
Tom, are the default settings in the DSC modules the same for a 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 RS? If not can you tell me what I need to adjust to end up with the same settings?
The DSC calibration file in Normal mode for 997.2 has 5% softer Default Rate than for 997.1. This is because .2 cars come with stiffer springs and the .2 cars has shocks that are a little bit more refined.
All DSC cal file commands go to 100% during full load so that 5% difference is only there during cruising. Which some people have a personal preference to have the suspension 5% softer during cruising while some prefers 5% stiffer. There's no right or wrong here, its just personal preference to what feels satisfactory to each driver. Try both files to see which you like better. Or you can hire me to ride shotgun to custom tune to your liking . Hack, changing sway bar setting by one hole makes more difference than 5% damping.
DSC Sport mode is same for both .1 and .2.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:10 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Tom - thanks for your help diagnosing the issue I was having.

For others with similar symptoms of accel/brake/g-loads/etc registering fine, but all 4 shocks showing no response: the issue for me was a problem with one of the front connectors where the damper wire connects to the OEM harness. No damage to any of the wires or connectors, so perhaps all the vibration/heating/cooling caused the pins inside the connectors to move enough to break the circuit. When one shock loses connection all 4 shut down.

All the plugging/unplugging/testing resistance seemed to cause enough movement that they just started working again (after 3hrs of frigging about), and with it we concluded the problem being that connection. Although working now will look to replace those connectors.

Matty
Old 12-10-2020, 12:13 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Talking

The DSC calibration file in Normal mode for 997.2 has 5% softer Default Rate than for 997.1. This is because .2 cars come with stiffer springs and the .2 cars has shocks that are a little bit more refined.
All DSC cal file commands go to 100% during full load so that 5% difference is only there during cruising. Which some people have a personal preference to have the suspension 5% softer during cruising while some prefers 5% stiffer. There's no right or wrong here, its just personal preference to what feels satisfactory to each driver. Try both files to see which you like better. Or you can hire me to ride shotgun to custom tune to your liking . Hack, changing sway bar setting by one hole makes more difference than 5% damping.
DSC Sport mode is same for both .1 and .2.
Thanks for that... I'm all in on you riding shotgun to tune my DSC as long as you take pizza as payment;-)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:12 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

I just bought a DSC from Tom for my .997.2 GTS maybe three months ago. I just bought a .2 GT3, and it's bone stock and I suspect it doesn't have one installed. I'm putting my GTS on BAT end of April, so I may take the DSC out and put it in the GT3. Is there a GT3 specific file that needs to be downloaded? I have to say the GT3 suspension is surprisingly much better than I expected. I don't track it, and FWIW I'm in California...and the roads are horrid.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 03-18-2021 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (04-03-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I just bought a DSC from Tom for my .997.2 GTS maybe three months ago. I just bought a .2 GT3, and it's bone stock and I suspect it doesn't have one installed. I'm putting my GTS on BAT end of April, so I may take the DSC out and put it in the GT3. Is there a GT3 specific file that needs to be downloaded? I have to say the GT3 suspension is surprisingly much better than I expected. I don't track it, and FWIW I'm in California...and the roads are horrid.
Your DSC is 100% interchangeable between your 997.2 GTS and 997.2 GT3. Both cars share the same DSC file. The GT3 has stiffer springs and sway bar so at minimum DSC command value to the dampers it ride stiffer than GTS, but as you said, its not bad at all.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:38 PM
Matt Meeks
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another happy customer

997.1 C4S.
Bought the car a month ago and DSC is my second mod. First mod was a numeric setup to get rid of the slop.
The bad: Installing the accelerometer was an awful experience:
(1) Snug fit for new box on top of OEM box, but sticking the Velcro down first and then using a flat trim tool to slide the new one on top worked perfectly.
(2) Not much room in the main loom to work with the yellow and black pair. Others suggested using twist lock fasteners to add a connection. I wish I’d read that before trying to splice and solder in the new leads. A pair of Alligator clips allowed me to stand the wires about the loom to tin and splice new leads in.
(3) Red with gray looks a lot like gray with red once cross-eyed from working with the yellow/black pair. Having just pulled the center console to install the Numeric, I remembered that the second loom runs to the small connector on the passenger side. I removed the passenger panel, lifted the shift boot, and tipped the forward most console piece toward the floor to expose the connector. The red with gray tracer is much easier to get at on the connector side coming from the center console. (Just don’t turn the key to look for switched 12vdc while the connector is disconnected or your get an airbag light - ask me how I know).
(3) for the for the ground, I simply attached it to the lower, passenger side bolt on the radio framing.
(4) DSC V1 popped right in after I contorted myself into a pretzel in the passenger footwell.

the Good: Wow! No jarring hits at all. I hated the expansion joint slams from the rear end with OEM PASM. I also live on Aquidneck Island in Rhode Island where the roads are terrible. In normal mode my 911 rides smoother that my wife’s Honda Accord - no BS. Sport mode feels glorious and usable. I can’t wait to go for a spirited drive this weekend.

HATS OFF to the folks at DSC for the product and continued refinement. And lastly, PHENOMENAL customer service from Alex at Soul! Stellar experience all around (well, except for the yellow/black pair).

@Tom@TPC Racing a cut-free y-harness to connect old and new accelerometers would be a huge win for the customer.

Last edited by Matt Meeks; 04-02-2021 at 09:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Meeks:
cbracerx (06-29-2021), DSC Sport (04-14-2021), Numeric Racing (04-05-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

We have one 997.2 controller in stock if anyone is interested.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM