Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry larry I have a 997.1
Old 01-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Sorry larry I have a 997.1
no worries, car, and laptop O.S (Mac+vm vs Windows natively) aside, it appears as though there is a problem with the f/w updater app accessing the DSC vs. the Tuner app...

curious if anyone has managed to update their DSC's firmware... if anyone has can they describe their environment (Windows, Mac, VMWare, Parallels, which COM port etc)?

Thanks
- Larry
Old 01-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Late getting into this discussion. I'd love to see an Android interface. I've always got my phone with me. Any idea of the current units can be upgraded to Bluetooth?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Late getting into this discussion. I'd love to see an Android interface. I've always got my phone with me. Any idea of the current units can be upgraded to Bluetooth?
Not sure what the status of the BT support in DSC is, but AFIAK none of the Porsche DSC's currently support this...

I did a little superficial investigation into the feasibility of doing this ... it pretty much all depends upon the (continuing) dependency on the SiLabs CP210x USB to UART driver ... since including this driver into Android requires a build of the underlying Linux kernel to include that driver, it pretty much makes an Android app untenable for general usage...

https://www.silabs.com/documents/pub...otes/AN809.pdf

Not having any insight into the bluetooth interface that the DSC exposes its impossible to determine if the CP210x USB-UART driver is still required (or not) ...
Regards

- Larry
Old 02-01-2018, 12:14 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default DSC Kit Ready to Install

All the bits have arrived. Time for installation into my 2007 GT3RS Pumpkin. Along with the complete RSS Tarmac kit (incl engine mounts), 997.2 GT3 shifter, numeric cables and Function-First transmission bushings, I should have the chassis starting to take shape.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

From a fellow 997.1 GT3 owner, stock 3.6 engine, DSC/Tractive, TPC sway bars, Guard 40/60 LSD kit, on 245/305 NT01's. First time on track with the newly installed suspension in advanced race group. Good stuff!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone running Windows 10 with auto updates having difficulty Writing to the DSC Box?

Previously I was able to Reset Board, Write and Read maps using a Win10 laptop. But suddenly the Write function now stalls mid-process and returns a "Timed Out" error message after approx 30 seconds (I can still Reset Board and Read installed DSC box maps). I can use an old XP laptop to fully communicate with the DSC box so that seems to eliminate the DSC box and USB cable as problem sources and points the finger at the Win 10 laptop's software and Tom agrees.

There was a Win 10 update (KB4087256) installed Feb 15 which was when the Write function first failed. I have uninstalled DSC Tuner and SilLabs USB interface, and then reinstalled (rebooting laptop after each uninstall and reinstall).

Now I appreciate the update timing may be indicative of nothing but I am clasping straws here trying to get it working correctly again.

Any thoughts/experiences that can be shared would be appreciated.

PS I have been a Mac user since Lisa and left MS at MS-DOS so have very little knowledge of the WinTel world so please include the"obvious"
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

DSC and Tractive equipped 997 GT3 sets new NASA GTSU qualifying lap record at VIR!
Watch this beast conquer the curbing and putting the power down!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMF...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little confused by your recent newsletter "DSCsport just released all new DSCsport utility software that eliminates many of the problems associated with installation of driver software. This is an entirely new software that makes it easier for all DSCsport owners." and "NEW: Our new standalone Utility software. In order to install the new Utility software you must remove your old DSCsport drivers from your computer. "

So what does this mean for us that have been using the software up to this point, and created our own pdts files? Is the only difference between the old and new software is that it is more stable (I never had any issues), or are their new features? Thanks,
Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

The instructions were rather unclear as stated and some clarification would be useful.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kpl
I'm a little confused by your recent newsletter "DSCsport just released all new DSCsport utility software that eliminates many of the problems associated with installation of driver software. This is an entirely new software that makes it easier for all DSCsport owners." and "NEW: Our new standalone Utility software. In order to install the new Utility software you must remove your old DSCsport drivers from your computer. "

So what does this mean for us that have been using the software up to this point, and created our own pdts files? Is the only difference between the old and new software is that it is more stable (I never had any issues), or are their new features? Thanks,
Originally Posted by ralphmusic
The instructions were rather unclear as stated and some clarification would be useful.
For those who have been tuning with DSC software on 997 cars don't need to change anything.
The newer DSC software (version 1.7.1) adds more vehicle types to the selection and adds velocity function, which neither of these new features apply to 997 cars.
If you want you can download version 1.7.1 and still use your pdts file(s). Like I said, the new features do not affect 997 cars.
There's nothing wrong with keeping the older software. I still have the very first version on my desktop, and 1.4, 1.6, and 1.7. I only use the 1.7 when I read/write file for 991's, Corvette's, Camaro's, and GT350's.
For the few of those who have trouble with the third-party USB driver the new package eliminates that extra step.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Looks like something I need / want for my TTS.

Hmmm!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
Anyone running Windows 10 with auto updates having difficulty Writing to the DSC Box?

Previously I was able to Reset Board, Write and Read maps using a Win10 laptop. But suddenly the Write function now stalls mid-process and returns a "Timed Out" error message after approx 30 seconds (I can still Reset Board and Read installed DSC box maps). I can use an old XP laptop to fully communicate with the DSC box so that seems to eliminate the DSC box and USB cable as problem sources and points the finger at the Win 10 laptop's software and Tom agrees.

There was a Win 10 update (KB4087256) installed Feb 15 which was when the Write function first failed. I have uninstalled DSC Tuner and SilLabs USB interface, and then reinstalled (rebooting laptop after each uninstall and reinstall).

Now I appreciate the update timing may be indicative of nothing but I am clasping straws here trying to get it working correctly again.

Any thoughts/experiences that can be shared would be appreciated.

PS I have been a Mac user since Lisa and left MS at MS-DOS so have very little knowledge of the WinTel world so please include the"obvious"
UPDATE:
​​​​​​​I am not sure why I seem to have been the only Win10 user with this problem other than it might have been a particular combination of OS build and Updates.

Anyway after absolutely no help from SilLabs I had a MS Certified guy check the Laptop and interface but he was unable to determine the root cause. So I had Win7 installed on the laptop and low and behold it all worked again - so no more MS updates destabilising third-party drivers/devices... it is my only MS laptop and will remain lonely and unconnected to my network.

I have a possible cause in mind however.. a developer posted on the SilLabs help forum that he had observed the baud rate being changed on the SilLabs interface by a Win10 update forcing it to communicate at 9600 rather than the 57600 his target device was expecting - the effect was to stop communication. SilLabs said they would look at it but if a valid issue it would likely be addressed with a bunch of other fixes as and when.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm still unable to update the firmware on my unit via my win 10 64 bit laptop. There is a new "faster" firmware out for the 997.1 and I can't install it. The firmware program just can't find the box on the COM port.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I'm still unable to update the firmware on my unit via my win 10 64 bit laptop. There is a new "faster" firmware out for the 997.1 and I can't install it. The firmware program just can't find the box on the COM port.
have you downloaded the latest installer app (1.8.3) from DSC and uninstalled the SIlabs USB/UART driver???

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM