Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Simple. Send your DSC module to us for firmware update. The update is free for the original purchaser. Sender pays the shipping cost. It is very worthy!
It's a big hassle for me as I am in Hong Kong. What is the turn around time usually?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by a_Y
It's a big hassle for me as I am in Hong Kong. What is the turn around time usually?
Turnaround time is one day(unless we are away from the shop for racing), plus what ever the shipping time is. With all due respect sir, what do you say we discuss this further via email instead of forum since almost every one else reading this thread already knows about this? My email is tchan@tpcracing.com
Old 05-25-2017, 06:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I have another question

I'll spare the very, very convoluted story and just give the relevant details:

Bought a 2006 Cayman. It had your DSC Sport module installed, along with the DSC Sport 3-way accelerometer, and the Bilsteins.

My car has since been converted to a circa-2010-ish car (not sure the exact year of the donor but it's a .2 conversion.)

Entire car has been converted... all that was really reused was the 2006 shell and rolling hardware (control arms, sway bars, Bilsteins, springs, etc.).

Shop doing the work sent the DSC Sport module down to you guys for a firmware update (was still the old 3-mode firmware) and I guess to have it updated to work for a .2 car.

As I understand it, the .2's use the factory accelerometer, because the .2's use a 3-way from the factory. So when my car was upgraded, there was no need to retain the DSC Sport accelerometer, because it can use the factory one.

With me so far?

Ok... so... my question is this:

When my car was a .1 still... I had a kill switch on the factory accelerometer, to kill PSM for track use.

I'm gonna guess that, if I do that now that my car's been converted to .2 spec... it'll cause issues for the DSC Sport module too, right?

Is there an option to deliberately include the DSC Sport accelerometer on a .2 car, in parallel with the factory one? Or am I now unable to FULLY kill PSM?

Last edited by User 52121; 05-25-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok I have another question

I'll spare the very, very convoluted story and just give the relevant details:

Bought a 2006 Cayman. It had your DSC Sport module installed, along with the DSC Sport 3-way accelerometer, and the Bilsteins.

My car has since been converted to a circa-2010-ish car (not sure the exact year of the donor but it's a .2 conversion.)

Entire car has been converted... all that was really reused was the 2006 shell and rolling hardware (control arms, sway bars, Bilsteins, springs, etc.).

Shop doing the work sent the DSC Sport module down to you guys for a firmware update (was still the old 3-mode firmware) and I guess to have it updated to work for a .2 car.

As I understand it, the .2's use the factory accelerometer, because the .2's use a 3-way from the factory. So when my car was upgraded, there was no need to retain the DSC Sport accelerometer, because it can use the factory one.

With me so far?

Ok... so... my question is this:

When my car was a .1 still... I had a kill switch on the factory accelerometer, to kill PSM for track use.

I'm gonna guess that, if I do that now that my car's been converted to .2 spec... it'll cause issues for the DSC Sport module too, right?

Is there an option to deliberately include the DSC Sport accelerometer on a .2 car, in parallel with the factory one? Or am I now unable to FULLY kill PSM?
Wrong section for this car but I'll answer your questions anyway. For future questions on 987, may I suggest posting in the 987 section. I think maybe this way other 987 owners in similar situation may benefit from the info and provide their feedback as well.

This is definitely not a typically application that you have here. Since your shop changed everything over from 987.1 to 987.2(engine, ECU, wiring harnesses, acceleromete etc.) then .2 DSC firmware will work. But killing the power to the factory .2 accelerometer will render the system inoperative because g-force is an essential data for the system. Our engineers can create a custom firmware for you that will sync with .1 DSC accelerometer and .2 everything else. This way you can kill the power to the factory .2 accelerometer signal without affecting the function of DSC. There will be an engineering fee involved for this custom work. Please contact me directly to discuss- tchan@tpcracing.com
Old 08-16-2017, 12:54 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Apologies for the naive questions but I am looking to add a DSC to my 997.1 S and am curious about a few things.

Is it simply a matter of splicing into existing wires or does it come with a harness to simple plug in? Does it need to be programmed to my specific vehicle? Is the default or base map geared to the stock suspension and would it be sufficient for stiffer bars and stiffer/lower springs?

TIA
Brian
Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BF951
Apologies for the naive questions but I am looking to add a DSC to my 997.1 S and am curious about a few things.

Is it simply a matter of splicing into existing wires or does it come with a harness to simple plug in?
DSC 3-axis accelerometer for .1 cars(including .1 Carrera/S and .1 GT3/RS) requires splicing into three wires, same as installing any video camera with CAN bus interface. Simple and straight forward install. Instructions from DSC website-
http://www.dscsport.com/downloads/in...stallation.pdf

Does it need to be programmed to my specific vehicle?
They are programmed with our standard maps for the specific vehicle chassis type. There are optional maps that are available on DSC website-
http://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
And of course, you can modify any of the maps to create you own to your personal preference using free DSC tuning software.

Is the default or base map geared to the stock suspension and would it be sufficient for stiffer bars and stiffer/lower springs?
Both. DSC damping commands are active, it is completely unlike any passive(fixed-rate) suspension system; DSC can operate the shocks from 1% damping force to 100% damping force for the driving situation in near real time. So the traditional passive damping rules don't apply! This wide range of commands pair well with many combinations of other mechanical changes. For example, on my personal car I went from 330/600 lbs to 400/700 lbs and most recently to 600/800 lbs springs. I have been using the same map for all three spring combos and various sway bar settings to get my car dialed in with only a slight change to Comfort Parameter for below 0.25g for the low speed bad roads near my house. On track at higher g-load the exact same damping map with Tractive DDA shocks is freaking SPOT ON! With the softer springs and bars(such a OE parts) even OE PASM dampers can quite easily overcome the stiffness of the OE springs and aftermarket drop-in lowering springs at peak g-load but as the load builds up during cornering the initial weight transfer is softer to optimize grip by "setting the tire". Thus, the notion of having a different map for changing spring rate within a reasonable range does not apply since the damping commands are varying as we drive and generate varying levels of g-force in direct axis. To that point, we use factory GT3 Cup springs(1450 lbs) on Tractive DDA shocks using the same map setting lap records! Granted that Tractive DDA shocks do have greater damping range than OE PASM shocks, but same damping strategy.

The things I am concern with using lowering springs on OE shocks is running out of usable stroke(usable travel) by bottoming on the bump rubber. If that's an issue, DSC isn't the fix. However, DSC will make the situation better as a band-aid by slowing down the rate of movement on compression and depending on how low the ride height(amount of usable stroke) DSC may be able to avoid contact to bump rubber.

PS- All of these questions have been answered more times than I can remember and in multiple threads. For quicker answers use the search function on this forum or try the DSC website: www.dscsport.com also suggest try to post in the DSC thread in the 997(non-GT) forum in case I'm not available, like I was just completed serving jury duty, I think 997 owners will be more apt to help,
Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Appreciate your time and the detailed explanation. I received the DSC components earlier this week. They will be going in tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to testing them out on track.

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:32 AM
zimpan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a happy user of the DCS box for 2 seasons in my 997.1 GT3, and now it is time to dig into the opportunities with the tuning software. When I go through the manual and read forum posts I realize it is quite complex to understand and remember all different ways to read and enter figures in the UI.

To make it a little more easy I suggest that you might
- add % after Default rate
- add % after Sensitivity
- add g after G Rate Max and change the decimals so you enter 0.2 instead of 20, it makes more sense.
- in Brake add ms after Decay

There are many other similar places/fields where it should be good to clarify like this, I hope you got my point.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM
His987CS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zimpan
I have been a happy user of the DCS box for 2 seasons in my 997.1 GT3, and now it is time to dig into the opportunities with the tuning software. When I go through the manual and read forum posts I realize it is quite complex to understand and remember all different ways to read and enter figures in the UI.

To make it a little more easy I suggest that you might
- add % after Default rate
- add % after Sensitivity
- add g after G Rate Max and change the decimals so you enter 0.2 instead of 20, it makes more sense.
- in Brake add ms after Decay

There are many other similar places/fields where it should be good to clarify like this, I hope you got my point.
As long as we are hitting the wish list, I think it would be helpful to add a checkbox to each tab in the UI that has a specific action (i.e. Brake, Accel, Speed, and Steering) to Enable/Disable the tables on that page. This would allow troubleshooting parts of the software settings that might be causing an issue.

For example, I am testing some new settings and things feel loose when putting the power on out of a particular corner. Is it because my calibrations settings are suspect, the main GForce table is in error, or maybe the Accel table is problematic. Just a thought. Of course the tables that must be there to function properly should never be disabled, but the four tables I mentioned above could be disabled with out harm. Currently I have to fill in these tables with values that render them inert and it is a bit of a PITA.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

They are programmed with our standard maps for the specific vehicle chassis type. There are optional maps that are available on DSC website-
http://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
And of course, you can modify any of the maps to create you own to your personal preference using free DSC tuning software.
COOL!

Ok so while I've had the car w/DSC Sport for over 2 years... I'm just NOW getting to actually USE the car (long long story).

I'll have to take a look at some of these downloadable maps. I honestly don't know what's loaded in the car now. I did find that keeping it in "street" mode works better for autocross... seems a little more compliance in the suspension in the really slow stuff (relative to track use) seemed much quicker. "Track" mode, the car seemed too stiff.

However, on the track at speed... "track" definitely better.

Curious about the "for 987 w/TPC sway bars".... I have Tarett bars w/Bilsteins... what's special about the TPC bars vs others? (I'll also check some of the other threads....)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Curious about the "for 987 w/TPC sway bars".... I have Tarett bars w/Bilsteins... what's special about the TPC bars vs others? (I'll also check some of the other threads....)
TPC bars provide more roll stiffness for what our race team refers to as having more "platform" to drive deeper in the brake zone and put the power down sooner. The other brand you mentioned works well and I thinks its closer to OEM GT3 spec. Comparing the OD of the TPC bars are pretty close though, since the limitation is has to fit within the a given bushing size. TPC bars optimizes the the hollow bar concept by tuning with wall thickness and spring alloy. I am not saying one brand is better than another, we designed our bars for a different spectrum of the market in terms of intended usage. For roll stiffness comparison, your front bar at full hard is about equal to middle of 5 holes on TPC bar. Can run softer damping with stiffer bars.

Just for entertainment, both are hollows bars with nearly same OD in this image. Check out the blade area. The blade area shows the wall thickness. Can't hide the blade section.

Of course, any DSC users can custom tune their DSC to any bar to their personal preference and the user will have a custom file.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

TPC bars provide more roll stiffness for what our race team refers to as having more "platform" to drive deeper in the brake zone and put the power down sooner. The other brand you mentioned works well and I thinks its closer to OEM GT3 spec. Comparing the OD of the TPC bars are pretty close though, since the limitation is has to fit within the a given bushing size. TPC bars optimizes the the hollow bar concept by tuning with wall thickness and spring alloy. I am not saying one brand is better than another, we designed our bars for a different spectrum of the market in terms of intended usage. For roll stiffness comparison, your front bar is full hard is about equal to middle of 5 holes on TPC bar. Can run softer damping with stiffer bars.

Just for entertainment, both are hollows bars with nearly same OD in this image. Check out the blade area. The blade area shows the wall thickness. Can't hide the blade section.
Awesome - very clear, thank you.

Makes sense that the substantial increased stiffness of the TPC bar would benefit from a different damping map since the bar would handle more work in that regard over the shocks.

I'll leave that file alone then.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport

We ask that if you have any questions or reviews regarding DSC Sport that you post them here. If you have already posted reviews in other forums or threads, we encourage you to do so once more in this thread. Consolidating our discussion topics into an official thread will allow us to respond to questions in a timelier manner, as well as include everybody in the conversation. We would like to thank our loyal customer base once more for their unprecedented level of enthusiasm and rave reviews for DSC Sport as we launch this exciting new product.
There is a post in the 996 forum about your system. I am curious what shocks actually fit a 996, considering Bilstein doesn't list any of their damptronic systems for 996. I can't find any information about retrofitting damptronics to a 996 (or 986) anywhere on the net.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

TPC bars provide more roll stiffness for what our race team refers to as having more "platform" to drive deeper in the brake zone and put the power down sooner. The other brand you mentioned works well and I thinks its closer to OEM GT3 spec. Comparing the OD of the TPC bars are pretty close though, since the limitation is has to fit within the a given bushing size. TPC bars optimizes the the hollow bar concept by tuning with wall thickness and spring alloy. I am not saying one brand is better than another, we designed our bars for a different spectrum of the market in terms of intended usage. For roll stiffness comparison, your front bar at full hard is about equal to middle of 5 holes on TPC bar. Can run softer damping with stiffer bars.

Of course, any DSC users can custom tune their DSC to any bar to their personal preference and the user will have a custom file.
I was under the car this past weekend... and after looking at a friend's Spec Cayman (who uses Tarett bars) noticed MY front bar is significantly thicker on the ends like you showed in the pic above. No "TPC" sticker BUT I think I actually DO have the TPC bars on the car. Front bar anyways - rear bar, while also painted red, looks to have the same thickness crimped end as the Tarett. But the front is def thicker, like the photo posted above.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strathconaman
There is a post in the 996 forum about your system. I am curious what shocks actually fit a 996, considering Bilstein doesn't list any of their damptronic systems for 996. I can't find any information about retrofitting damptronics to a 996 (or 986) anywhere on the net.
Tractive DDA coilovers! The main difference between 997 and 996 is in the rear coilovers. See image below. 997(Left side of image) has a fork style mount. 996(Right of image) has eyelet style mount and the 996 rear coilover is significant shorter, also 996 needs modular rear sway bar mount(not shown in image).

The very first 996 active suspension conversion that we did was back in 2012, which was before Tractive DDA came to market, at the time we used a set of 997 B16 Damptronic by converting the rear upright to 997. That prototype conversion cost well over 10K because 997 rear upright required extensive modifications to accept 996 wheel speed sensors, wheel bearings, 997 rear sway bar & drop links, and a lot of geometry tuning to get the rear toe curve to be "driveable" when mixing 997 rear uprights to 996 rear subframes. It was a very costly project especially considering at the end of the project we still had entry-level quality/performance coilovers. We did it to prove that DSC technology can be adapted to earlier cars. Fast forward 5 years later, having learned from our experience, we now offer complete 996 kit with bolt-on Tractive coilovers and DSC SA(Stand Alone) controller, wiring harness, and 3-axis accelerometer from streamline conversion with CAN bus interface for MY2002+ 996. We have provided shops with these complete kits for 996 GT2, GT3, and Turbos!

Here's the complete 996 kit.
The harness have plug-in connectors for each shock. The system need 12-volt power, ground, and two CAN bus wires to connect to.

Here's the product page from DSC website-
http://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#996
While it is not a cheap conversion, it is reasonable cost for so much technology, tune-ability, road comfort and track performance in a bolt-on package featuring pro racing quality shocks with huge tuning range, fastest reaction time, and can change to commands during mid-stroke.

Fun fact- this year we have retro fitted DSC systems to 964, 993 and American street rods and resto mods!

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM