Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by motopix
So the benefit of the v.2 DSC is that it integrates like the OEM PASM dash and buttom indicator light?
Yes, for the most part. There are slight changes to the g-table and Shock Calibration that comes along with the fimware/software update as a "package".
Edit: If you choose to upgrade to 2-mode firmware, you will not be able to use any custom mapping your have made with the 3-mode firmware. This is because the newer firmware has g-table patch that works differently than in the previous firmware. You can however customize the maps that comes with the new firmware package.

I'm curious why this change came about. Did people complain about not having a dash indication or did they complain about the blinking LED on the button?
Some people didn't buy DSC module specifically for the blinking LED. Some complaint the LED was distracting...it didn't bother nor distract me at all on street and track. If more details see post #131 of the link below-
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...n-forum-9.html

I will say that on the 3 mode version, it doesn't always cycle through all 3 modes correctly. I've been in mode 2 numerous times and hit the button once and ended up in mode 1 (which is what I wanted anyway but it wasn't expected). Maybe I should keep the telepathic V.1 DSC that knows which mode I want.
The module thinks the button has been push more than once when it hasn't. This usually happens when the contacts inside the button wears or sticks a little. In the electronic switching world this is known as "Switch Bounce", where the circuit is made/broken over several milliseconds when the button first makes contact and the software is reading it as separate pushes. If this didn't occur in the beginning but it occurs now, the fault is in the switch itself as it the only wearable component. Firmware and software won't change on their own and don't wear. Only way to fix that is to replace the switch.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 01-04-2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: See edit notes
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JD-Motorsports
Hi Tom,

So if understand you correctly, when using the new 2 mode firmware, In mode 1 "normal displayed on cluster", yellow background in the tuning software, these tables and calibrations will be applied? When I select "sport" mode, mode 2, red background in the tuning software, these tables and calibrations will be applied? So mode 3, "Track", blue background in the tuning software, these tables and calibrations are not used until they are written to either mode 1 or 2?
Correct. There may be a new software in the future that that holds 2 modes instead of 3. But I don't know for sure. The software engineers/developers doesn't give us any info in advance for this sort of thing. Just like Windows OS, I suppose.

Originally Posted by JD-Motorsports
That is good to know, as I was a little confused with how the "dynamic range" was expanded. I was under the impression it was using the mode 1 and 1/2 of mode 2 in "normal" and the other 1/2 of mode 2 and mode 3 in "sport".
I haven't had time to compare the software cell by cell so in terms of numeric values I don't know for sure. But by driving experience both the new mode 1(Normal mode as displayed by OEM dash) and new mode 2(Sport mode as displayed by OEM dash) has expanded actual operating dynamic range. Mode 2 in particular.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

To confirm, the new 2 mode units will use the maps from Normal/1 and Sport/2, but Track/3 on a current map file will be ignored? If we updated to or own a 2 mode unit, but want a track map we had saved we would need to transfer the settings from Track/3 to Sport/2 using the software?

Would also really appreciate confirmation on the ma range of shocks. Can we get a list against car model and AM shock, something like:

997.1 Turbo, OEM PASM: 1500ma-500ma
997.1 Turbo, Bilstein B8 PASM: ####ma-###ma
997.1 Turbo, Blistein B16 PASM: ####ma-###ma

I'm keen to understand the impact of setting it up outside of the possible range of the shock unit. If it is setup to run from 1200 to 200ma, then that would mean that it is at full stiff from around 50%. Once it goes past this threshold, is the DSC not trying to get the shock to behave in a way that it can't/shouldn't? Regardless, if the limit is 500ma, would it not be better to have this progressively reduce to 500ma, but then remain at 500ma through to 100%?
Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Tor Atle Lunde
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The module thinks the button has been push more than once when it hasn't. This usually happens when the contacts inside the button wears or sticks a little. In the electronic switching world this is known as "Switch Bounce", where the circuit is made/broken over several milliseconds when the button first makes contact and the software is reading it as separate pushes. If this didn't occur in the beginning but it occurs now, the fault is in the switch itself as it the only wearable component. Firmware and software won't change on their own and don't wear. Only way to fix that is to replace the switch.
You should also implement a switch debouncer algorithm in software if you haven't already done so. It is very easy. See http://www.labbookpages.co.uk/electronics/debounce.html for more info.

Edit: or maybe this can't be done as you would be out of sync with the button LED light...?

The DSC box is very tempting!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

I created a folder in Google Drive to allow us to easily share maps. Should be accessible to anyone with the link: http://bit.ly/22FSPxa

Feel free to upload any custom maps you've put together.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:48 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I created a folder in Google Drive to allow us to easily share maps. Should be accessible to anyone with the link: http://bit.ly/22FSPxa

Added Quadcammer's mode1 soft and reset g-tables settings for modes 2 and 3 where there was a discrepancy.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 AM
arcamalpha
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. Great to see this data coming together.

Where can I get the software and has anyone tried it on Windows running on a Mac?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by arcamalpha
Thanks. Great to see this data coming together.

Where can I get the software and has anyone tried it on Windows running on a Mac?
I have, installed VMWare Fusion then used Windows Vista and then installed the drivers and app .... voila it works perfectly
Old 01-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tor Atle Lunde
You should also implement a switch debouncer algorithm in software if you haven't already done so. It is very easy. See http://www.labbookpages.co.uk/electronics/debounce.html for more info.

Edit: or maybe this can't be done as you would be out of sync with the button LED light...?

The DSC box is very tempting!
Thanks for the suggestion.

The new 2-mode firmware requires a push and one-second hold of the PASM button in order to switch mode. The one-second hold parameter for mode switching pretty eliminates the Switch Bounce on a worn or sticky mechanical switch. This is getting into more details than I care to but in short the the duration of the hold confirms the mode switching cycle.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

To confirm, the new 2 mode units will use the maps from Normal/1 and Sport/2, but Track/3 on a current map file will be ignored?
Correct.

If we updated to or own a 2 mode unit, but want a track map we had saved we would need to transfer the settings from Track/3 to Sport/2 using the software?
Correct. But let me add that since we have expanded the damping range on the new mode 2 to have the dynamic range that covers the range of the old mode 3 you really don't need to do that to achieve track level damping at higher load ranges. Unless you just want the minimum damping values to be stiffer even at zero load to low load ranges then you might want to do that. Or you can reduce the dynamic range of the new mode 2 at the low end to make it feel like the old mode 3 at zero to low load. That is if you decide to update to the 2-mode firmware. If you are happy with 3 modes than just leave the firmware as is.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the details Tom. Any chance we could get a copy of the updated maps? Would be great to be able to try them out.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Would also really appreciate confirmation on the ma range of shocks. Can we get a list against car model and AM shock, something like:

997.1 Turbo, OEM PASM: 1500ma-500ma
997.1 Turbo, Bilstein B8 PASM: ####ma-###ma
997.1 Turbo, Blistein B16 PASM: ####ma-###ma
The OEM PASM shocks are made by Bilstein. We have concluded from our years of testing on our fleet of test cars that have gone through the different stages of OEM PASM, B8, and B16 shocks that the nominal mA range for all of the shock listed above for DSC software tuning is 400-1500mA. 400mA is full stiff, and 1500ma is full soft. I think I have wrote before that it was 500-1500ma, if I did, it was an error, and that 100ma difference at the end of the nominal range is immaterial on these mass-production quality shocks. You can enter a number outside of the nominal range and may get the results you are looking to achieve but the shocks will run hotter. Shouldn't cause damage for streets but just run hotter. I wouldn't do that for track though.
Edit: The last three sentences in paragraph above is untrue. I would like to retract the last three sentences. The OEM/Bilstein shocks will only run hotter outside of the range on the soft end with higher amperage(greater than 1500mA) for extended periods of time. Going lower than 400mA doesn't change the peak damping value and won't cause damage.

Tractive DDA shocks on the other hand have a range of 200-2000mA. The range of damping force for a given mA range is far greater range than Bilstein. And Tractive DDA shocks are far more stable at the limit.

I'm keen to understand the impact of setting it up outside of the possible range of the shock unit. If it is setup to run from 1200 to 200ma, then that would mean that it is at full stiff from around 50%. Once it goes past this threshold, is the DSC not trying to get the shock to behave in a way that it can't/shouldn't? Regardless, if the limit is 500ma, would it not be better to have this progressively reduce to 500ma, but then remain at 500ma through to 100%?
I think I answered part of this above. But to add more to this the Bilstein shocks respond to around every 100mS(millisecond), except during mid-stroke so the input-to-output is not exactly one-to-one. Tuning for high speed tracks you need to focus more on the range of the load rather than specific cells. These are the mechanical limitation of the OEM/Bilstein shocks, even with the limitations we have done wonders with them with DSC mapping, to the point where 99% of the users don't feel the limitations and they reported seamless operation and very nice improvements to lap times. Its only very specific conditions such as long sweepers that the shocks stay at a damping value before it complete its stroke and respond to the next command at 100mS interval. These conditions can be fixed with custom DSC software tuning. I stand firm that the OEM/Bilstein shocks are a tremendous performance value when paired with DSC. Tractive DDA is one-to-one input-to-output and can change damping values during mid-stroke so we would tune more cell by cell versus by clusters.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 01-05-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: See edit notes
Old 01-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

The OEM PASM shocks are made by Bilstein. We have concluded from our years of testing on our fleet of test cars that have gone through the different stages of OEM PASM, B8, and B16 shocks that the nominal mA range for all of the shock listed above for DSC software tuning is 400-1500mA. 400mA is full stiff, and 1500ma is full soft. I think I have wrote before that it was 500-1500ma, if I did, it was an error, and that 100ma difference at the end of the nominal range is immaterial on these mass-production quality shocks. You can enter a number outside of the nominal range and may get the results you are looking to achieve but the shocks will run hotter. Shouldn't cause damage for streets but just run hotter. I wouldn't do that for track though.

Tractive DDA shocks on the other hand have a range of 200-2000mA. The range of damping force for a given mA range is far greater range than Bilstein. And Tractive DDA shocks are far more stable at the limit.

I think I answered part of this above. But to add more to this the Bilstein shocks respond to around every 100mS(millisecond), except during mid-stroke so the input-to-output is not exactly one-to-one. Tuning for high speed tracks you need to focus more on the range of the load rather than specific cells. These are the mechanical limitation of the OEM/Bilstein shocks, even with the limitations we have done wonders with them with DSC mapping, to the point where 99% of the users don't feel the limitations and they reported seamless operation and very nice improvements to lap times. Its only very specific conditions such as long sweepers that the shocks stay at a damping value before it complete its stroke and respond to the next command at 100mS interval. These conditions can be fixed with custom DSC software tuning. I stand firm that the OEM/Bilstein shocks are a tremendous performance value when paired with DSC. Tractive DDA is one-to-one input-to-output and can change damping values during mid-stroke so we would tune more cell by cell versus by clusters.
+1
Old 01-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the details Tom.
My pleasure.

Any chance we could get a copy of the updated maps? Would be great to be able to try them out.
I would be happy to... BUT, I have just found out that the mapping from the 2-mode firmware version is not interchangeable with the 3-mode firmware version and vice versa. The reason is because the 3-mode firmware version mapping has g-table patch that works differently than 2-mode firmware version mapping. As far as the user interface goes, both versions are the same. But again, the maps aren't interchangeable between the two versions.

My sincere apology to all for not knowing this sooner. I only found out the maps aren't interchangeable just a few minutes ago. Subsequently I have edited post # 163 and #166 so the information is valid.

But to add more to this the Bilstein shocks respond to around every 100mS(millisecond), except during mid-stroke so the input-to-output is not exactly one-to-one. Tuning for high speed tracks you need to focus more on the range of the load rather than specific cells. These are the mechanical limitation of the OEM/Bilstein shocks, even with the limitations we have done wonders with them with DSC mapping, to the point where 99% of the users don't feel the limitations and they reported seamless operation and very nice improvements to lap times. Its only very specific conditions such as long sweepers that the shocks stay at a damping value before it complete its stroke and respond to the next command at 100mS interval. These conditions can be fixed with custom DSC software tuning.
The new g-table patch smoothed this out.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:04 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the mapping from the 2-mode firmware version is not interchangeable with the 3-mode firmware version and vice versa.

Just wanted to separate that out for emphasis so it will be easier to see for folks reading later.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM