Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 PM
dariog
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The new DSC Sport website will be operational in less than a week. The new site will inform of updates. But we don't expect to have any more updates for the 997 cars since we have been refining the 997 mapping for half a decade. The most recent update is going from 3 modes to 2 modes so that the mode switching is integrated to the factory instrument cluster display. It was a huge effort and breakthrough for us to establish this interface. We feel the effort was totally worth it to have factory level mode switch protocol. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous 3 modes(except for some who didn't care for the blinking LED) but looking at it now from where we are today it seem more "grassroots racing" like, which is where we started the company from. As our DSC company matures we feel that our products should evolve as well in refinement. The difference- The 3 mode firmware started out as the engineers version which made the product development less time consuming to have an extra mode to test when track time is limited. At the time we didn't have the instrument interface capability so we could have actually made 4 modes, or 10 modes, or 20 modes if we had some way to indicate the modes besides watching the LED flash 10 or 20 times. The Engineers liked the 3 modes since they thought watching the LED flash 3x was manageable. We continued to offer the 3 modes until we established the instrument cluster display interface. As far as new DSC products go, the 3-mode version with blinking LED is outdated. The 2-mode version with factory mode switching protocol is current and is our proudly featured product. The new "Normal Mode"(softer mode) is same as the old mode 1. The new "Sport" is the old mode 2 and 3 merged. Keep in mind the modes are fully active and dynamic, which means the harder you brake, corner, and accelerate, the stiffer the car becomes. Its difficult to to understand until you experience it in person. It is an awesome product. You've just got to trust us on this. :-) PS- If you don't like our mapping in each mode you are free to make changes via DSC software.
Hi

What should I do to have new v2 version with 2 modes? How could I update my v1 version?

Best Regards
Darek
Old 12-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by dariog
Hi

What should I do to have new v2 version with 2 modes? How could I update my v1 version?

Best Regards
Darek
I don't personally handle the updates but yes you could send your DSC module in for the firmware update. The mode switching protocol is firmware, not software. The update is free, you pay the shipping and handling cost. At this time we have the capacity to manually do firmware updates for a hand full of modules, but if everyone send their modules in at the same time then we would not have the capacity to handle the load. The new DSC Sport website is intended to support self-service updates. We are still working on the self-extracting firmware.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 PM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't personally handle the updates but yes you could send your DSC module in for the firmware update. The mode switching protocol is firmware, not software. The update is free, you pay the shipping and handling cost. At this time we have the capacity to manually do firmware updates for a hand full of modules, but if everyone send their modules in at the same time then we would not have the capacity to handle the load. The new DSC Sport website is intended to support self-service updates. We are still working on the self-extracting firmware.
Good to know. I've only had mine a few months and would prefer 2 modes; I've only used mode 1 and 3 anyway. I'll ship it back sometime this winter. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

I am interested but do not want to hack the harness for the accelerometer. What is the down side if installed without it?

7.1 gt3
7.2 rs (accelerometer needed?)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
I am interested but do not want to hack the harness for the accelerometer. What is the down side if installed without it?

7.1 gt3
7.2's already have the necessary accelerometers on them, so its a simple plug n'play replacement of the PASM module with the DSC, barely a tool required!

the 7.1's did not have the necessary accelerometer from the factory hence the retrofit ... but a number of other 7.1 RLer's have done this DIY AFAIK.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Chris Ferrell
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
7.2's already have the necessary accelerometers on them, so its a simple plug n'play replacement of the PASM module with the DSC, barely a tool required!

the 7.1's did not have the necessary accelerometer from the factory hence the retrofit ... but a number of other 7.1 RLer's have done this DIY AFAIK.
Yeah, cutting those wires makes me feel a little uneasy too. But I assume you can just leave the accelerometer in with no side effects, if you ever went back to the stock PASM box.

An adapter harness with a male and female end, with a center connection for the accelerometer would be a cool thing.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Ferrell
Yeah, cutting those wires makes me feel a little uneasy too. But I assume you can just leave the accelerometer in with no side effects, if you ever went back to the stock PASM box.

An adapter harness with a male and female end, with a center connection for the accelerometer would be a cool thing.
I dont know the answer regarding leaving the accelerometer in place and returning to PASM stock

great idea for the adapter ...
Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Ferrell

Its really not a big deal for any mechanic... a little trivia, in fact, wire splicing/repair is a prerequisites for acquiring a truck driver license and boating license in many states. In this case the wiring is exactly the same as installing AIM Sport Solo DL/camera, which I bet many members on this forums have in their car. If you feel uneasy about doing the wiring and want to have DSC performance then I would suggest having a professional do the wiring. This is routine work for professionals.

The following info has been posted multiple times on this forum: Should you want to go back to stock PASM you can leave the accelerometer in place. You don't have to remove it. The stock PASM module won't recognize it and completely not affected by it at all if left in place.

It does have a connector.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:35 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

7.1 gt3
DSC won't perform as intended on 997.1 cars(except on 997.1Turbo/GT2) without 3-axis accelerometer. Been posted before...
Old 12-30-2015, 03:37 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

For me it is not a matter of installation abilities, it is the hacking of the harness and effects over long term resale.

Its really not a big deal for any mechanic... a little trivia, in fact, wire splicing/repair is a prerequisites for acquiring a truck driver license and boating license in many states. In this case the wiring is exactly the same as installing AIM Sport Solo DL/camera, which I bet many members on this forums have in their car. If you feel uneasy about doing the wiring and want to have DSC performance then I would suggest having a professional do the wiring. This is routine work for professionals. The following info has been posted multiple times on this forum: Should you want to go back to stock PASM you can leave the accelerometer in place. You don't have to remove it. The stock PASM module won't recognize it and completely not affected by it at all if left in place. It does have a connector.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

For me it is not a matter of installation abilities, it is the hacking of the harness and effects over long term resale.
Understood and completely respect your thinking. But wire hacking is rather harsh sounding, I prefer wire splicing, which is in fact is the true definition of the procedure.
Dude, you're scaring away my customers... LOL
Old 12-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

No PPI would ever discover the splice ... nor any subsequent owner or mech savvy enough to recognize the install as non-OEM.

frankly I'd be (a lot) more scared of your average aftermarket stereo install than this ... find a good independent guy to do this for you... job done.

Understood and completely respect your thinking. But wire hacking is rather harsh sounding, I prefer wire splicing, which is in fact is the true definition of the procedure.
Dude, you're scaring away my customers... LOL
is it safe now?

Old 12-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

No PPI would ever discover the splice ... nor any subsequent owner or mech savvy enough to recognize the install as non-OEM.
Agreed, Sir.

frankly I'd be (a lot) more scared of your average aftermarket stereo install than this ...
Yes! That and the wired in radar detectors and backup cameras and GPS tracking device!

is it safe now?

My apology to all. I got all worked up due to holiday stress and trying to get as much done as possible at the shop by tomorrow. One of the many things I am doing is unpacking, assembling, and distributing the newest Tractive DDA shipment that arrived this morning.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'd get worked up if I had one of those in my garage!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sure one of those sets has my name on it (or will soon!)...

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM