Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
I concur that this is the coolest 7.1 builds I've seen. Love following everything.
Originally Posted by Alexey21
This is the coolest 997 Project car I have seen! Looking very good Tom.
Originally Posted by 964RS_NGT
Fantastic thread and a great read, thanks for sharing the process and your knowledge!
Thank you!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Tom, question about the cup electrical steering pump. What are the downsides vs. the standard pump/system? More maintenance, shorter replacement interval, less reliable, more steering effort? This kind of seems like a no-brainer and I'm just curious about the trade offs? Thanks!
The only downsides are the cost of the conversion, takes up trunk space, and possibility of fluid leak in the trunk. The electric pumps are usually durable. The Cup/R race teams typically replace the pumps after x amount of hours as preventive. I have seen them go bad not not very often. These pumps are made by TRW, very similar pumps by TRW are original equipment on Volkswagen and Vauxhall road cars. The pumps for different model must have different speed ranges but the specs aren't published by TRW nor the car makers. My experience has been lighter steering effort without any loss in feel. I like that the amount of power assist is relative to the current steering load via speed of the electric motor instead of the engine rpm.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964RS_NGT
You mentioned ~1 year ago you were installing .2 dog bones. Do they differ in any way vs the original .1?
I had them side by side but I don't remember exactly what the difference was. If I recall correctly there's a slight difference in the bushing area. The back end of the car felt more precise after replacing the replacement. But to be fair, those .1 dog bones had 50K+ miles on them so replacing them with new set of .1 dog bones would help. The .1 part has been factory superseded to the .2 part number in PET.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm guessing your car is mainly track drive or isn't parked out in public for long? Decklid pins only would make it pretty easy for someone to get in back there. I run both the latch and the decklid pins

Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I'm guessing your car is mainly track drive or isn't parked out in public for long? Decklid pins only would make it pretty easy for someone to get in back there. I run both the latch and the decklid pins
Your .2 deck & wing look good!

I only drive from my house to the shop to get lunch and pick up dinner on my way home. I used to drive to the tracks but I stop doing that when I started running Hoosiers.

Too much street driving makes my tail pipe colors not match the color of the car.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you

You probably have this covered but if you want the PMNA Cup pins, here you go. Rhonda got them to me quickly.

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=138278&VCD=4...e&CarYear=1998
Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
You probably have this covered but if you want the PMNA Cup pins, here you go. Rhonda got them to me quickly.
Ordered from PMNA yesterday. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Random photos from last week

Painting the inside crevices with a brush.

Made a template to verify airbox inlet alignment to the decklid.

Waiting for paint to dry.

Loading and unloading wet.

Have to do this every time it goes on the trailer now.

The wing even makes towing the trailer more stable!

Still wet.

Finally drying. Damn I love these wheels!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

BTW, Hoosier 235's aren't really a "normal" 235

Old 04-05-2017, 09:16 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woot woot. Awesome updates. Is that summit point main? Such a great track. Let us know how everything works out, plus you have data.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ML///
Woot woot. Awesome updates. Is that summit point main? Such a great track.
Thanks! Yes Sir, that is Summit Point main. Its the nearest track to me(only 90-minute commute) and I enjoy it very much.

Let us know how everything works out, plus you have data.
I apologize in advance for ranting. To be honest, the weekend was a bust for me because I spent more time working on other people's car than driving. I was already tired from the week with only 3-4 hour of sleep each night, then when I got to the track Saturday morning I was working under someone else's car for an hour before getting in my car to run the first session. The track was damp from the continuous rain the day before and overnight, grass was wet and track aprons were wetter. Quite a few people went off and put mud on the track. I took it easy with the sticker tires and just heat cycled them in. Didn't run the full session, got the tires up to 38psi and parked the car. The first session the Motec GPS lap timer didn't work, which was okay because I was only driving 6/10 in non-dry conditions. I install the config file again and the GPS lap timer worked for the second session but the predictive time didn't work so I need more time with the config. I am sure its not a hardware issue, just need to work on my config. Second session, couldn't get a clean lap, got frustrated and pitted in when I was stuck behind 2 Caymans that were held up from T5 to T8 by a 914...had a 4-car train going with me at the tail...train like this shouldn't happen in black run group... Sat on pit lane for half a minute and went back out and drove sort of a rage lap and did my personal best by 0.1 second. I can/will drive harder in better conditions and there's certainly more time left in the car than in me. The wing is a noticeable difference. The front brakes are great. And I feel the acceleration is a little faster by having the electric PS pump. With the combination of the wing, brakes, and PS pump I am psyched that I was driving maybe only 7/10 in the 2nd session and already bested my own time by 0.1 sec. The rest of the day I worked on other cars and I was exhausted to the point that I overslept on Sunday. Missed the mandatory daily grid tech and drivers meeting so I unloaded the car up and went home. Next time baby!

Here's a photo taken by a Potomac PCA member. Credit to Shane Howard. Thanks Shane!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 PM
ML///
Racer

Tom, I love the dedication and look forward to hearing more of your journey with this car and the new goodies. Please be sure to make time for yourself and have fun out on track. Congrats on the new PB!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Tom, I love the dedication and look forward to hearing more of your journey with this car and the new goodies. Please be sure to make time for yourself and have fun out on track. Congrats on the new PB!
Thank you, Sir! Will absolutely do.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

This has got to be worth half a second right here. Supposedly ~20% more down force with almost zero drag added.

I could have used the 1/2-inch(12.7mm) angle aluminum that I got from a hardware store for under 10 bucks as a Gurney Flap...it'd worked too but the 12.7mm + the thickness of 3M tape is right on the borderline of drag value beginning to creep up, theoretically. I tried machining a few millimeter of the angle(but didn't turn out to be a clean machining op) before I sprung 300 bucks for the Porsche Motorsport carbon fiber Gurney Flap that's 9.5mm tall, which right at the theoretically sweat spot of max downforce with minimum drag.

IMO, that 300-dollar CF strip makes the wing look sexier.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 PM
fuego
Instructor

I found a pseudo-doppelganger from across the (bigger) pond.

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3