Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3/RS Overpriced?? Is anyone actually paying the premium?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:32 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
The bubble will POP soon after that last engine gets replaced and production starts back up again.
How do you figure? I assume you're a prospective buyer?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 242 Posts

Sorry for the off topic.
Which color caps did Aqua/Gold RS come with on wheels?
Gold RS or Silver RS
Cant get a high def enough picture to tell for sure.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FriedEgg
How do you figure? I assume you're a prospective buyer?
Pardon the Pun but a lot of people who cannot go to the dealership and buy a GT3 new are Scrambling to just buy a GT3 period; and this is regardless of the manual vs PDK debate - it's the only alternative there is. That is to buy 997.2 or older thus making the pool of perspective buyers much larger and a finite number of cars for sale and if you have one and don't want to lose too much money now is the time to sell.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
I thought about this a bit more.

If I were in the market to buy a $400k Porsche I would do the following:
1) Hire a broker to locate a 73RS that needs restored. $200k.
2) Take the next 2 years having it restored. $150k.

Result: Appreciating asset, best Porsche ever made...
To this, I say just one thing:

Never drive your hero.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

I bet you are right.

I have never driven one. It would be depressing to drive one and be disappointed.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:15 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

I bet you are right.

I have never driven one. It would be depressing to drive one and be disappointed.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:06 PM
azcarguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
I thought about this a bit more.

If I were in the market to buy a $400k Porsche I would do the following:
1) Hire a broker to locate a 73RS that needs restored. $200k.
2) Take the next 2 years having it restored. $150k.

Result: Appreciating asset, best Porsche ever made...
I'm a `73 RS fan myself and would love one but only next to .2 RS or 4.0. That said I think you'd be hard pressed to find one at the listed price of 200K, even if it needed restoration. I have a friend in CO that has one of the nicest Touring RS's and he will be closing a deal shortly on his car at the 7 figure mark, and it's actual deal not a dream or promise. I have to think that the RS is creeping north of 500K for one needing restoration....sadly.

And in order to lend a bit more info for the OP of this thread, I have now put over 1400 miles (in a week) on my newly acquired .2 RS and it is worth every bit of the premium (even though I didn't pay the premium). Much more track oriented than my .1 which surprised me a bit, and a night and day difference in gearing and power. Can't wait for the upgrades

MG
Old 06-20-2014, 11:58 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I want a car that I can beat to death under warranty.
This is it for me and my struggle with 7.2 3's now. Need CPO.

Back on topic, I was there when Trakcar went back to back on 4.0 vs 3.8 RS' @ Sebring. Objectively quantifying the difference between the two, believe the result was a 2-3 sec difference. Subjectively qualifying the difference, some derive great utility owning the best. Others derive utility from using them on track.

A CGT can be had for clean 4.0 money. That is lunacy for my world. Nothing comes close to CGT for pure, raw, analog driving pleasure.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:26 AM
FriedEgg
Instructor

Pardon the Pun but a lot of people who cannot go to the dealership and buy a GT3 new are Scrambling to just buy a GT3 period; and this is regardless of the manual vs PDK debate - it's the only alternative there is. That is to buy 997.2 or older thus making the pool of perspective buyers much larger and a finite number of cars for sale and if you have one and don't want to lose too much money now is the time to sell.
I don't agree at all.
1) 991 GT3 is a completely different car than 997 GT3/RS as far as I'm concerned.
2) you're over-speculating...these cars are not high volume traded stocks...not everyone will buy and sell with the same purpose. In fact, most who have purchased a 997 / 996 GT3 or RS recently have purchased them as keepers.
3) the recent value run-up for the 997 GT3/RS is no different than run-ups experienced in most other air cooled Porsches, or any other collectable grade vehicles from other brands. Across the board, there's a realization that this certain type of driver's cars have evolved and are discontinued...hence, while absolute value may fluctuate a bit, but relative value will remain strong and will rise over longer term...hardly the type of value drop that you're describing.

I'm qualifying the above conditions for stock, minty fresh, low-mileage examples.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FriedEgg
I don't agree at all.
1) 991 GT3 is a completely different car than 997 GT3/RS as far as I'm concerned.
2) you're over-speculating...these cars are not high volume traded stocks...not everyone will buy and sell with the same purpose. In fact, most who have purchased a 997 / 996 GT3 or RS recently have purchased them as keepers.
3) the recent value run-up for the 997 GT3/RS is no different than run-ups experienced in most other air cooled Porsches, or any other collectable grade vehicles from other brands. Across the board, there's a realization that this certain type of driver's cars have evolved and are discontinued...hence, while absolute value may fluctuate a bit, but relative value will remain strong and will rise over longer term...hardly the type of value drop that you're describing.

I'm qualifying the above conditions for stock, minty fresh, low-mileage examples.

Thank you for qualifying your argument in the way that you did.

If you use Hagerty's valuation tool you can see that a good chunk of the collector car market has more than doubled for some cars. Just take a look at the 73 RS America Lightweight! Number 1 cars are around $1MM now.

But the value in the later GT3 market didn't start going ape **** until the 991 engines started catching fire and Porsche put everything on hold. Sure these cars are not high volume stock however none the less those who have the cars at set the prices are over valuing the cars, especially lower mile undriven examples.

And finally we can agree to disagree. I'm not going to change your mind and neither will you mine.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
there are supposedly 6 in aus, but i have only ever seen or heard of 1.
6 is the number I have too.. I know of two, you must be talking of the white one in Sydney (NUR-727) plate? There is a black 4.0 in Melbourne, the same gentleman owns a 993 GT2... Imagine owning 2 unicorns? Believe the black 4.0 was sold though as was the white Sydney 4.0. I think it was listed at $500k
Old 06-21-2014, 01:48 PM
antoniodelgad68
Rennlist Member

Guys I agree with the comments I stepped up a few months ago and paid $156,000 for a 2010 GT3RS WITH 6700 miles WHITE CPO MINT. And this was after I received my 991 GT3 and drove it for 2 weeks before the recall. My take is the same these are the last of the 6 sp Metzger engined RS's they will hold value and slowly climb, a true future classic so wait and pay more or find a good one and pull the trigger
Old 06-21-2014, 01:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,874 Likes on 2,404 Posts

^ smart man.
the high miles are going to drop bc someone enjoyed it! it's like paying rent
the low mileage one will continue to climb. some commented that rs 4.0 at 400 is not as good by as cgt. perhaps but many I know who bought 4.0 has 2-3 cgt stores.

that said my high mile 3.8 rs is for sale 14000 miles.
$140,000
so let the bidding begin.....
Old 06-21-2014, 02:37 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by antoniodelgad68
Guys I agree with the comments I stepped up a few months ago and paid $156,000 for a 2010 GT3RS WITH 6700 miles WHITE CPO MINT. And this was after I received my 991 GT3 and drove it for 2 weeks before the recall. My take is the same these are the last of the 6 sp Metzger engined RS's they will hold value and slowly climb, a true future classic so wait and pay more or find a good one and pull the trigger
How did the two compare?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

Thank you for qualifying your argument in the way that you did.

If you use Hagerty's valuation tool you can see that a good chunk of the collector car market has more than doubled for some cars. Just take a look at the 73 RS America Lightweight! Number 1 cars are around $1MM now.

But the value in the later GT3 market didn't start going ape **** until the 991 engines started catching fire and Porsche put everything on hold. Sure these cars are not high volume stock however none the less those who have the cars at set the prices are over valuing the cars, especially lower mile undriven examples.

And finally we can agree to disagree. I'm not going to change your mind and neither will you mine.
The flaw is that you assume since the fire and stop sale of the 991 GT3, buyers have no choice but to purchase 997 GT3's and RS's...resulting in their increased value. I can tell you that there are very few...because if I wanted a 991 GT3 and can't buy one, I would more likely shop for a McLaren or Scuderia before picking up a 997 series GT car.

Could it be that the fire and stop sale is just one of many reasons that spotlighted how special the Mezger GT cars are in a very wide collectable landscape?

People are buying 997 GT3's and RS's for very different reasons as they would buy a 991 GT3. Fact is, unless Porsche decides to drop a Mezger engine mated to a manual transmission with hydraulic steering into a future model, the 997 GT cars are the very last of the breed.

No one will debate that the 991 cars are and will continue to develop and evolve into even more accomplished versions of track and daily driving tools...however, they have become different things used for different purposes. If you need proof, read antoniodelgad68's post above.

I personally know of 4 other collectors in the east coast that did the same as antoniodelgad68 (paid top dollars recently for 997 cars), 2 of which have also purchased 991 GT3's to use for daily driving and track duties...when done, they will dump the 991's and pick up the newer and better versions. All will hold on to the Mezger cars for the long haul. All are guys with some pretty enviable collections and have held on to these collections through multiple economic cycles.

As you've said, we can agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3/RS Overpriced?? Is anyone actually paying the premium?