Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My Singer 911 2014 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
So how do we find out definitively what this color is? Who made this car / any details? Are there other expert network forums where i should inquire?
Post the photo on 6speedonline and pelicanparts forums. Someone among the three will likely know.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

You should PM RL user Z356 (Eduardo) and ask him to contribute to the thread. The guy has an amazing knowledge on Porsche colors, PTS and interiors.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Perfect RS color.
+1 like that as much as stone gray. Very nice.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Some more pictures from the car at Laguna-just incredible:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 13164
Size:  855.6 KB
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

More

Views: 11120
Size:  765.0 KB
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Last

Views: 9784
Size:  729.8 KB
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Great pics.

I think that a/c compressor has got to go. An electric unit in the frunk saves a ton of weight, hoses, etc.

Maybe a lift-off engine cover with a less bulky retractable wing than the old 964 design (and avoids the heavy hinges and struts.) I'm thinking a one-way release catch that "deploys" the wing on a single gas strut, then when you want it down, you get out and push it down by hand for next time.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Great pics.

I think that a/c compressor has got to go. An electric unit in the frunk saves a ton of weight, hoses, etc.

Maybe a lift-off engine cover with a less bulky retractable wing than the old 964 design (and avoids the heavy hinges and struts.) I'm thinking a one-way release catch that "deploys" the wing on a single gas strut, then when you want it down, you get out and push it down by hand for next time.
thats a cool idea, even less weight would be an excellent thing
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

thats a cool idea, even less weight would be an excellent thing
It's easier said than done, but a few people have done it, even to the odd race car. I tried years ago, but the technology wasn't there (the a/c compressor and the steering pump both required phenomenal current and not 12V, but an odd 400+ volt circuit that would have been impossibly difficult to reproduce without all the other stuff going on in electric cars.) Now, with the Cup parts, I think it's quite doable. Still, it's hard to comment from the peanut gallery -- that's a superb engine bay ... you wouldn't want to start the engine for fear of a little oil mist, but I imagine that quilted sound panel on the firewall is just a couple of clips and then pop it in at the drycleaners ... : )
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
Lovely coach word and upholstery in the cabins.

Those Recaros could be cut down and lowered by modifying the factory brackets and the sliders should be recessed into the tub. Thinking about it, the factory sliders are really heavy old metal units. It would be great to find a lightweight system (alloy plates and pins) out of a hot rod shop. I imagine DOT crash liability is an issue.

Also, the passenger side pedal board could be smaller so it sits deeper beside the wheel well for long legged passengers (all part of the dream ...)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:21 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's that a pair of in front of the gas tank? Luggage? Can't put my finger on it.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X2daC
What's that a pair of in front of the gas tank? Luggage? Can't put my finger on it.
new fitted luggage option
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Lovely coach word and upholstery in the cabins.

Also, the passenger side pedal board could be smaller so it sits deeper beside the wheel well for long legged passengers (all part of the dream ...)
I will need this, I am tall, 6'4" and have a 36" inseam. Fit in older cars has been a problem.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

new fitted luggage option
Right. Very nice pieces. Looks like they got some of those spiffy composite shell suitcases (like Porsche buys from Rimowa and sticks on their badge.) I think Tumi makes a nice one, too. They all tend to be to half clam shells that zip together. I was hoping they'd be somehow better hinged and sealed with a compression latch, but they all seem to use zippers.

The upholstery job by the SVD outfitters is very nice -- exactly the right finishing touch for this kind of car. 50 years from now, future generations will be looking at one of these on the 18th hole at Pebble Beach and some gray haired old codger will be proudly displaying all the original luggage with his pride and joy ... : )
Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I will need this, I am tall, 6'4" and have a 36" inseam. Fit in older cars has been a problem.
There is a ton of space in the 964 cabin, they'll just need to get you there and sit in another car, then do a race seat fitting. It's a tedious job to set up a race car for the first time and I imagine Singer does much the same thing when fitting their tailored suit to the gentleman. Basically you get an old, scratched up shell, you stick in some cardboard on the floor, then sit in, then keep wedging and stuffing in shims until the seat is "just so" and that sets the steering wheel height, extension, centering, the shoulder height for the harness belts, the arm reach for a good steering position, the elbow room around the door, the alignment with the steering wheel, the ankle position and heal board for the throttle position wearing the desired shoes, thickness of clothing and helmet, line of sight to door mirrors and cabin mirrors, etc. I think an "old school" mirror that comes down off the windshield frame (instead of glued onto the windshield glass) is a nice touch to consider here. A couple of measurements, a few photos, then they tape up all the cardboard, make it a single piece and test it one more time to make sure it's a fit. Then the welder and fabricators can do it in metal and "measure twice, cut once."

Quick Reply: My Singer 911 2014 Restoration