Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My Singer 911 2014 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Bakes 911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more out door or in door pics of the Singer project guys?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Smile

Just awesome...............
Old 05-26-2014, 02:26 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First impressions of the drive?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM
LBF
Intermediate

Ok, here's my review of the drive. We all know how beautiful these cars are and all the work of art thing and all the fastidiousness of the Singer team. That stuff is all a "given".

I'm no driving pro or writer so caveat emptor. I thought the steering was very good and precise (not quite my track car but i didn't expect that) but pretty darn awesome. Since my car is to be registered in California and I wanted the 3.8, Rob and the guys have been working to tune the engine to pass the emissions standards that it will be required to test every two years. For now, a CAT is installed and special cams drive the engine. The exhaust note, while ample, is not nearly as throaty as the Indonesian car that sold me on Singer. My initial reaction is that I miss that. Also, I found myself wanting a bit more power up in the canyon so i was not completely satisfied what i could wring out of it. I think this is just because mine is a California car. The Indonesian car had more than ample power. I don't think I'll lose sleep about the power issue. I'll know more after driving it for awhile.

I thought the gearing had some pluses and minuses. The gear box is perfectly easy to use. Shifting is precise and a breeze. I liked the in-town easy driving and easy clutch and the smooth build up in first and second gear. However, up in the canyon (perhaps the nature of the road) i felt that upon upshifting from 2nd to 3rd even at the redline (which was very easy to blip the limiter without proper anticipation) the engine fell out of the sweet spot of the power band. I'd have to explore this more to really come to a conclusion about it.

As for the suspension, I selected Ohlins because i loved how the indonesian car was setup (reasonably stiff but still comfy for in town driving). I thought it was a bit rear end light and bouncy coming out of compression type apexes. Now i know this is an old porsche characteristic but as Michael Harley has commented, it really required a big jolt to get the car to settle back in. The team will be working to refine the setup to my liking before i take delivery. All in all, i think the car is a work of art, drives like an old porsche with a lot more power. Its freaking beautiful, fun, inspiring, easy to drive, and like a good friend, its instantly familiar, comfortable, and predictable. Thats what i was looking for. Count me very satisfied. I take delivery in a couple weeks.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
porsche993gtrsr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello,

I just found this thread, so sorry for interrupting.
First, what a beautiful color combination you got there and i can't what to see superquant's singer finished.

On page 7 and 8 I saw a discussion about a color on a car, i don't now the official name of the color, several people named it different, but if some people still want to now i can't find out, but superquant already decided what color he wants so i don't now if its necessary.

I have a few (bad)(upside down)pictures:

actually it is a clone based on a 964 c4
Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would love more of that upside down car.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche993gtrsr
hello,
On page 7 and 8 I saw a discussion about a color on a car, i don't now the official name of the color, several people named it different, but if some people still want to now i can't find out, but superquant already decided what color he wants so i don't now if its necessary.
thanks for this - i never found out what this color was but i did use it as one of the inspirations in the process. i think my color will turn out to be similar, with a bit more blue. But I would still be interested in whether this color on the 964 clone has a name if its easy for you.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

What kind of tires? Supper grippy! ;-)

Originally Posted by porsche993gtrsr
hello,

I just found this thread, so sorry for interrupting.
First, what a beautiful color combination you got there and i can't what to see superquant's singer finished.

I have a few (bad)(upside down)pictures:

actually it is a clone based on a 964 c4
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Matteuson
Intermediate

While we are on the topic, mine is #28, "Indiana". I chose Blood Blue with Caramel interior.

Name:  SingerBlueBloodBlueLogo_zps8b9a39ea.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  61.4 KB

As for future value, I believe that history will be very kind to SVD. What they are doing is akin to what Shelby was doing to the AC Bristol roadsters. I think two have exchanged hands privately, I think one was the grey/orange New York car and rumor is it brought more than the build cost. From a production numbers standpoint, they have been at this since 2009 and my car is #28 with a completion date of April 2015. That means a couple hundred Singers would take a generation to complete.

I guess the value doesn't really matter since I have no plans of selling it.

Cheers to the others on this forum that are also waiting on theirs.

Matt
Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 474 Posts

That's just stunning.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Matteuson
Intermediate

Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 01:37 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LBF

I thought the gearing had some pluses and minuses. The gear box is perfectly easy to use. Shifting is precise and a breeze. I liked the in-town easy driving and easy clutch and the smooth build up in first and second gear. However, up in the canyon (perhaps the nature of the road) i felt that upon upshifting from 2nd to 3rd even at the redline (which was very easy to blip the limiter without proper anticipation) the engine fell out of the sweet spot of the power band. I'd have to explore this more to really come to a conclusion about it.
To my knowledge, the gearing on these cars is not being revised from stock. What that means is regardless of whether you got a 5spd or 6spd you 2-3 shift is a 2.06 to a 1.41. That's the sane gap and rpm drop as found on a 996 turbo. It's just too wide. 3rd needs to be shorter and closer to 2nd. Something like a 1.55, as found in a 996 Cup would be about right while still being able to gear the top end for highway cruising.

BTW, every Singer is currently being built using my LSD. But the number of cars that have the boxes regeared outside of stock 964 or 993 ratios is very low. A couple of the early cars got special ratios but more recently, if they are regearing them, they aren't getting their gears from me.

Regards,

Matt
Guard Transmission llc
Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little interruption...

Which car did they use for the James May Top Gear BBC segment?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That Blood Blue is going to look amazing Matt. Awesome choice
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Matteuson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
That Blood Blue is going to look amazing Matt. Awesome choice
Thank you!