Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My Singer 911 2014 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lord, i can only hope you hold onto the Singer like you said. Especially after the "I need an RS by this weekend" to move on to the 458.

Alas, we drink "The Koolaid" and get that heady rush but what happens when it wears off? I've been eye-balling a 911 TT for the past four years factory fresh but taking the hit for depreciation is just too much. Thats why I haven't put in an order yet. Because you can always find the lightly used 997.2 TTS cars for $60k-$75k less than the coin it would take to outfit a 991.

What are the prerequisites for the singer cars? How do they choose which cars they are going to use for the build - you can tell how little research I've done into the subject!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Lord, i can only hope you hold onto the Singer like you said. Especially after the "I need an RS by this weekend" to move on to the 458.

Alas, we drink "The Koolaid" and get that heady rush but what happens when it wears off? I've been eye-balling a 911 TT for the past four years factory fresh but taking the hit for depreciation is just too much. Thats why I haven't put in an order yet. Because you can always find the lightly used 997.2 TTS cars for $60k-$75k less than the coin it would take to outfit a 991.

What are the prerequisites for the singer cars? How do they choose which cars they are going to use for the build - you can tell how little research I've done into the subject!
The heady rush does not wear off for timeless machines, I think. Thats the lesson learned for me. For example, the CGT I bought 3 years ago still elicits pure love every time. It is timeless. Same with the Ford GT. Very few cars are timeless so most will be passing through and will wear off because something better came along.

A 964 in reasonable condition/no accidents. The quality of the frame is the only important part.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
The heady rush does not wear off for timeless machines, I think. Thats the lesson learned for me. For example, the CGT I bought 3 years ago still elicits pure love every time. It is timeless. Same with the Ford GT. Very few cars are timeless so most will be passing through and will wear off because something better came along. A 964 in reasonable condition/no accidents. The quality of the frame is the only important part.
Exactly like an old Submariner Rolex is still pleasing 30 years later but a Hublot will look outdated in 10 years.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Exactly like an old Submariner Rolex is still pleasing 30 years later but a Hublot will look outdated in 10 years.
thats right!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Must work smarter...
Fixed it for ya….
Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
+1
Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I had my first talk with Rob today.
I know exactly the type of Singer Clark should build....

From Pistonheads.com
During a recent Pistonheads visit to California, the boys at Singer mentioned a lightweight version is coming... with air jacks.

(Pistonheads link) "..."I shouldn't really be telling you this," giggles Rob, Maz smirking as they describe plans for a super trick, super light weight car under consideration and explaining an earlier reference to titanium wheel hubs and other components for a forthcoming project. "It's going to be so over the top, properly nutty stuff. It'll be extreme but you'll be able to use it on the road." There's talk of an all-up weight of less than 1,000kg (around 200kg less than the standard car) and a seriously hopped up motor too. Anything else? "Um... it'll have air jacks." And then they look at each other and clam up."

What if you were to take Singer's style and go really lightweight, using parts from Robert Linton's American GS.... how light would it be?

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
...After I win the Loto, I'll have Rob create a lightweight RS version (no sunroof, no power seats, no radio).

I know the Singer car is already very lightweight (carbon panels, etc.)...
To really take it over the top, I'll beg Robert Linton to get involved and have them collaborate with some parts from the America GS 3.8 Hardtop Roadster.

I was recently rereading some old GS 3.8 threads, when I started wondering how light would a street/track coupe weigh? Then I found this quote:

Robert L says:

Humpty Dumpty is a 2 wheel drive Tiptronic Cabriolet. It has steel doors and fenders, two seats, air conditioning, high power stereo including a graphic equalizer, very full leather interior, door panels with storage compartments, a specially made (to also fit with the removable hardtop with electric sunroof and heated rear window) by Porsche AG roll bar covered in leather (which could be replaced by carbon fiber but I like the original factory piece), standard Porsche safety glass windshield and windows, etc., etc. (including two ashtrays -- one in each door -- I do not smoke but someone at Porsche AG thought it was a good idea). In other words, as Herr Singer said the last time he saw it, "it's a car".

Current weight is below 2200 lbs (1000 kg). I cannot say how far below that it will go but we are in the final months of reducing rear weight, e.g., engine, transmission and torque converter. As to the brake calipers, they were built to accommodate and currently have 26 mm thick pads installed (in case, in theory, one ever had to do a 24 hour race and wanted to minimalize and possibly eliminate pad changes). If one reduced the pads to 18 mm or less as with most street cars, this would yield a several pound savings overall.

Finally, if one removed all of the luxury features, changed steel body panels to carbon fiber (it does have a carbon hood to show what a first class carbon component looks like), removed one seat and changed the other to a carbon fiber race seat, changed to plastic windows, gutted the car as per a club or, even more drastic, a real race car, changed to a manual transmission, removed the muffler and heater boxes, etc., etc., it would weigh below 1650 lbs (750 kg)."

In case you don't know about Robert Linton's America GS:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642

Last edited by 911Jetta; 12-09-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 PM
SeriousB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Among other things we discussed last week was taking more weight out of the cars and Rob figures that another 300 lb is easily achievable with even more possible.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

I have figured out how to do some nice renderings of colors. here are some tasty options
Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The top photo is stunning. I really like how they are paying tribute to the colors from way back when.

The way the light falls on the green car is fantastic.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a powder blue 73 rs today... was perfect.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Like the first blue best!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Like the first blue best!
+1
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Mint rocks.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Please stop posting pictures of these machines. I cannot take it.

I'll take mine in a subtle grey w/ a red/black interior or mint with black please.

Have to say... if I had one, it would be my daily driver. Would drive the crap out of it and enjoy every second. Value, depreciation, stone chips, door dings, be damned.

Quick Reply: My Singer 911 2014 Restoration