Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Magnus Walker 911 on the Auction Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:56 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hasnt sold yet...next week. And I would honestly be surprised if he doesn't sell it for less than $225k...possibly $250k.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Gooding indicated range is $125k-$150k.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:58 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

So many haters!

I would bid on Magnus' car if I had the means. At the estimate range it seems like a reasonable value. Build quality may not be singer but its also 1/3 the price and seems like a fun drive with great looks and details .. of course the big question is whether dbag bidders will drive the price above that.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superquant
So many haters!

I would bid on Magnus' car if I had the means. At the estimate range it seems like a reasonable value. Build quality may not be singer but its also 1/3 the price and seems like a fun drive with great looks and details .. of course the big question is whether dbag bidders will drive the price above that.
Nice to see you posting again SQ. What are you driving these days?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nice to see you posting again SQ. What are you driving these days?
I've been lurking and just driving the usual CGT, 991 C4S, and the 458 spider. I am going to unload the 458 soon, its too good and a bit more high profile than I like.

I am currently on a quest to find a more timeless third vehicle to replace the 458. Some options include Ford GT (Heritage), F40 (too much coin), or some kind of new old school Pcar (Singer if I had the loot or something like the Magnus 911STR spoken about here).

To that end I could use additional guidance on the pcar front. I would like something that has the old school look of the widebody / RSR cars but with the usability and reliability of the more modern cars. In addition I am tall (6'4) and lanky with long legs so I need something that I can fit in and the older 911 dont really work in that regard for me.

I understand Singer to be the best of the best in this area but the price is fearsome. Are there other builders or sources that you might recommend I look at to narrow options?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://sloancars.com/3904/1995-993-c...k-21428-miles/
Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been lurking and just driving the usual CGT, 991 C4S, and the 458 spider. I am going to unload the 458 soon, its too good and a bit more high profile than I like.

I am currently on a quest to find a more timeless third vehicle to replace the 458. Some options include Ford GT (Heritage), F40 (too much coin), or some kind of new old school Pcar (Singer if I had the loot or something like the Magnus 911STR spoken about here).

To that end I could use additional guidance on the pcar front. I would like something that has the old school look of the widebody / RSR cars but with the usability and reliability of the more modern cars. In addition I am tall (6'4) and lanky with long legs so I need something that I can fit in and the older 911 dont really work in that regard for me.

I understand Singer to be the best of the best in this area but the price is fearsome. Are there other builders or sources that you might recommend I look at to narrow options?
Why not a bespoke car?

Given these parameters, I'd not hesitate to call Steve Weiner and work with him to have Rothsport build one up. I doubt you'd spend over $150K and you'd have something really special.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
Sloan is not my boy. Also I would like something more unique and older looking ..
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
Why not a bespoke car?

Given these parameters, I'd not hesitate to call Steve Weiner and work with him to have Rothsport build one up. I doubt you'd spend over $150K and you'd have something really special.
Agree with Kai. There are a lot of good builders on both coasts. Start with 964 platform: classic shape, light, air cooled, coil overs, etc. You can take it any direction that you want.

That said, I'll be disappointed if you don't do another 24hr seek and acquire mission when the 991 GT3 RS hits....
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Agree with Kai. There are a lot of good builders on both coasts. Start with 964 platform: classic shape, light, air cooled, coil overs, etc. You can take it any direction that you want.

That said, I'll be disappointed if you don't do another 24hr seek and acquire mission when the 991 GT3 RS hits....
Indeed custom on 964 seems like the way to go here. Names for epic builders appreciated.

When the 991 RS hits I may be too old to pull that stunt again .. Impulse starts to die down at this old age.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Start with 964 platform: classic shape, light, air cooled, coil overs, etc.
Uh...

I might start with a gray market 930, add VRam, subtract weight. 2400 lbs and 300 hp all steel for well within the budget. More raw that a 964 though, certainly.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've built this car a thousand times in my head - and discussed it with Steve W. for quite some time (not that I would build one, I race when I can and have no desire to get into a sports car for the street).

More modern platform, 3.8 or 4.0 engine, easy 370hp with gobs of torques, close ratio G-50 six speed, great A/C and suspension - the possibilities are endless.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's kind of amusing how some folks think we are competitive, or even adversarial with Magnus. He's a super nice guy who invited us into his home and is nothing if not pleasant and enthusiastic. Our work is fundamentally different, not only in price, but also scope and intent. We dig what he does, and find it unique, tasteful, and reflective of our own roots.

We wanted to turn the air cooled 911 "up to 11" in every way. It's a never ending journey, but we're making progress. Rob and I will be at Jet center, the Quail, and the races. Come say hello and take a look at the car up close. I promise, it's much better in person than in photos.. Speaking of which, here are a few ..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/39qxcihgb6z0a0f/6bec1uSqf_
Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

+1!! Each in their own way are great products that enrich the Porsche experience.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dump the Spider ASAP, the value is only going down. Dump the 991 C4S as well.

Get a 512bbi before they move up to $400k and up. Get a 360 spider with manual transmission, better sound than a 430 or 458, reliable, beautiful, just put a set of 19" challenge wheels, a 55mph the 360 is more fun.

You already have a CGT.

You can't go wrong with the FGT.

A nice 2007 GT3 RS is a great and fun street car, no need for AWD with a 911, a GT3RS with snow tires will handle CT snow as good as a 991 C4S, while being vastly more fun.

512bbi + 360Spider manual + 07GT3RS + money left for a fun track car like a 964 PCA Club Racer for occasional DE, and drinks and jokes and fun times with friends.

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 911 on the Auction Block