Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Magnus Walker 911 on the Auction Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnus uses lots of re-pro Chinese made bits. Sierra Madre.

Singer makes a majority of his bits out of exotic materials..and then plates them in nickel.

A little different standard.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Exactly. It took me a few years longer than I wanted to finally park a 911 in my garage, so I'm not going to let sit in the garage.

Mooty, I've read a ton of your posts, so I know a little bit about your interests... may I humbly suggest the following thread: "Mooty buys a daily driver, the first 90 days with a 964". These cars aren't expensive (to you guys) and it would be fun for you to get back to that "everyday magic" feeling these cars so easily provide. Commute with it, do Home Depot runs, take the kids on errands. Drive it every where and everyday... then sell the car at the end of the 90 day experiment...
Mooty buys a 964 daily driver makes sense. Though he's had the 964, I wonder if he's had a really good one, like a turbo 3.6? It's hard to make that engine lag-less, but with some warming, a Garrett ballbearing turbo, efficient IC, I'm sure it would be great (of course, these are damn expensive for what they are today, but still, retained value will be commensurate.)

Just getting a nice one and breathing over the engine to get it closer to 280 hp and shedding some basic weight (exhaust, wheels, brakes and some tricks) and you've got a very fun 911. Probably about as much fun as you can have in a 911 on the road.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
norbert singer was ze german at the factory ya, creating ze racecars, ya?

nothing to do with singer the car company.
That's was the point of my sentence, "I wouldn't compare Magnus Walker with Norbert Singer, that's just uninformed."

I was trying to say it's quite apples to apples to compare to very different aftermarket shops that take existing 911's and variously restore and unashamedly molest the cars to their heart's content. Neither of these builders is what I associate with the name Singer and I don't even think I knew Magnus Walker existed till I had been interested after seeing one of his cars at a show in Ventura years ago. I'm not sure where or how a company can pick up such brand "intrusion" as Singer does, but Porsche appears willing to let them just "fine print" a disclaimer. If there's any affiliation or connection at some level, either that's a fact out in plain view or it's immaterial. It would be awesome to have Porsche embrace Singer in the same way Ruf has privileges and access.

Funnily enough, we're getting to a point where aftermarket shops will bring these price of these exotic parts (composites, CNC machined bits and pieces) that it should come into the reach of home brew types like me. I'd love to be able to click on Amazon and get one of those billet shifters, maybe template out an engine cradle or a bracket and have emachineshop just "print" it. Champagne tastes on a beer budget.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:41 PM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

unashamedly molest
that is a very good description!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
Magnus uses lots of re-pro Chinese made bits. Sierra Madre.

Singer makes a majority of his bits out of exotic materials..and then plates them in nickel.

A little different standard.
Yes, you've made it quite clear that you think Magnus's cars are shyte and Singer's are gold plated.

The point of my comment build quality is that it's not as black and white as you paint it. I provide gearbox parts to both builders as well as know who is building both of their engines. While Magnus may be hanging some Chinese made mirrors and turn signals on his car, the underlying mechanicals aren't thrown together by some hack mechanic in a dirty home garage. Just like Singer, while he may not have a village, Magnus has got a hunting party assembling his cars and their components and they aren't as bottom feeder as your posts make them sound.

Your criticisms are just a bit over the top. You clearly don't like what he's doing. And while I am far from a fanboi, knowing what I do, I can't really sit here in good faith listen to you rip apart his hard work without calling BS on some of it.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

So sorry to offend. Wasn't my intention. I was only trying to clear the air about Singers product vs his.

I have never met Magnus but he seems like a great guy. I appreciate his cars for what they are. Thought the short movie about him was inspiring.

Its fantastic that he is building a brand for himself. I am sure he is motivating many into the Porsche hobby. Fair enough?

Guys like Magnus make the car hobby interesting.

Latest Top Gear did a story on Singer.
Download one of these:

http://hola.org/
https://mediahint.com/

Choose your browser and install.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._20_Episode_5/
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Fair enough. Your posts were just starting to sound like you thought Magnus was in the same class as Motormeister.

I think Magnus' stuff is real similar to all the builds you see from Aase, and TRE, and Rothsport in Excellence.

Singer is definitely at a Ruf type level or higher. No doubt about that.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

100% agree.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's was the point of my sentence, "I wouldn't compare Magnus Walker with Norbert Singer, that's just uninformed."

I was trying to say it's quite apples to apples to compare to very different aftermarket shops that take existing 911's and variously restore and unashamedly molest the cars to their heart's content. Neither of these builders is what I associate with the name Singer and I don't even think I knew Magnus Walker existed
ok, yep thought as much.

i prefer originals too.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Fair enough. Your posts were just starting to sound like you thought Magnus was in the same class as Motormeister.

I think Magnus' stuff is real similar to all the builds you see from Aase, and TRE, and Rothsport in Excellence.

Singer is definitely at a Ruf type level or higher. No doubt about that.
aha, ppl seem to think highly of ruf......
maybe yellow bird.... but but but.....
ruf is not a porsche....
Old 08-03-2013, 03:22 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Mooty buys a 964 daily driver makes sense. Though he's had the 964, I wonder if he's had a really good one, like a turbo 3.6? It's hard to make that engine lag-less, but with some warming, a Garrett ballbearing turbo, efficient IC, I'm sure it would be great (of course, these are damn expensive for what they are today, but still, retained value will be commensurate.)

Just getting a nice one and breathing over the engine to get it closer to 280 hp and shedding some basic weight (exhaust, wheels, brakes and some tricks) and you've got a very fun 911. Probably about as much fun as you can have in a 911 on the road.
if i knew what i know today, i would have maxed out my VISA and bought 3.6TT. but my free ride to Cal only paid for 1991 964c2 cab. it wasn't bad!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

Mooty, I've read a ton of your posts, so I know a little bit about your interests... may I humbly suggest the following thread: "Mooty buys a daily driver, the first 90 days with a 964". These cars aren't expensive (to you guys) and it would be fun for you to get back to that "everyday magic" feeling these cars so easily provide. Commute with it, do Home Depot runs, take the kids on errands. Drive it every where and everyday... then sell the car at the end of the 90 day experiment...
when i had just mia (now 8YO), i drove my 07 08 RS everyday, took her to day car, pre school and such. i think i got 13,000 mile in 10 months. with two kids now harder to stuff the 4YO in the frunk...

sooner or later i will get a 964. a friend of mine is also thinking. get one, strip the rear out (like 964RS), weld in a cage. RS door card, recaro shell seat, good loud stereo (it's not a purist car), a good GPS, leave motor stock, convert to coil over. nothing too serious. just have some fun with it. if i ever get to it, i will sure make a thread. thx for the suggestion.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I have converted my daily driver automobiles to 993 porsches. They ride so nice. and do not draw to much attention.

In terms of this Singer and Magnus nonsense it is kinda hard to compare a manufacture to a hot rodder. Like apples and oranges.

Magnus hot rods old tubs using simple basic concepts and parts from other 911s. Only subtle bits are incorperated into the build. Less is more.

Singer uses exclusive engineered parts and puts them into a manufactured package for a vintage style with full on resto mod technology that commands a 6 figure price tag.

Both are 911s. But are two different animals.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

1972 911T : $60k
Upgrades : $60k
Watching one of the sheeple who bought into the marketing hype that is Magnus Walker pay an additional $100k : priceless

Bill
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car was sold for how much?

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 911 on the Auction Block