Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thunderhill, NorCal DE crew question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Horsthair or horseass whatever your name maybe. Its time for you to check with your proctologist and get that constipated mass out of your rear end. I tried to be nice with you in the past when you mouth off about me and my friends and looks like being nice with you don't work. So here Is the scoop, I am not talking about you as much as you like to imagine I am. This is a free country and you can run with any track group you chose and I don't care what you think about me or anyone else for that matter when your psychosis act up

I have no problem running with folks on the track with 20 seconds delta or more and at times I am the slower car when I drive my civic. Take my advice, stop pretending you know what we are talking about between myself and my friends
FWIW, I think everybody did a great job at TH. Watching the GT3s and others have some nice, friendly, respectful track driving was a blast. Doesn't get any better than that. And I got to see it from on track and up in the tower.

For me, I had a blast going out and keeping up with the pack sometimes and sometimes going out and taking it a bit easier. No problem at all in someone running sub 2:00's or up into the 2:15+ range. It's not really about the speed, but how good a driver you are and the mutual respect for others on the track and in the paddock.

For me, getting passed by the train isn't so bad, I always learn something from following, even if its only for a few corners. :-)

Great job guys!

Tim
Old 07-21-2013, 01:28 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I've been thinking about passing rules in Red Group - it's hard to tell if people "want" a point by or they are settling in and would like a lead follow…I know sometimes I'm fine being behind someone and just following them and other times I want a point

I've been thinking of suggesting "lights-on/lights-flash" mean's you want a point - and if your lights are "off" then you're happy to settle in behind them and they should "do their best" and see if you can keep up…

I love lead/follow and sometimes I want to lead and other times follow - so I'm interested in a specific gesture while on track that's easy to see so that people's intentions are clear, simple and I don't "hold people" up…
Good points, David. We're always looking for great cooperation and communication between drivers on track. Hand communications seem to work fairly well: a tap on the mirror to the car behind tells him that I know he's there and will point him by asap. And if I just want to follow a car for a bit, I'll just wave off the point and stay tucked in. It all works out.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Good points, David. We're always looking for great cooperation and communication between drivers on track. Hand communications seem to work fairly well: a tap on the mirror to the car behind tells him that I know he's there and will point him by asap. And if I just want to follow a car for a bit, I'll just wave off the point and stay tucked in. It all works out.
Exactly. And if I'm nose-to-tail with a buddy, and I'm getting blue flags from the corners workers, I wave my hand at them too to let them know we intend to run nose-to-tail. Although, to be fair, I think, at least at TH, they have figured it out when they see identical RSs chasing each other. LOL
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Put green circle decals on rear window to let experienced drivers know u just graduated to advanced grp. Gives you some insite that driver is new. NASA does that if hpde 3 is grouped with hpde 4 which is totally open passing. Mike
Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Let me say that the group that runs red group in PCA are a very clean and respectful bunch. Nobody really cares how fast or slow you are, as long as you treat other drivers with care and respect. PCAGGR is one of the best in that regards. Bragging and bench racing is also supposed to be fun and not meant to be demeaning. It's a shame that conflicts like what has been posted here happen, but it is the exception.

As someone said, there is always someone faster, check your ego at the door.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Love the train of GT3's and RS's in the group.

Crap, I was just behind you a little way and saw all the dust go up too. Sorry, for the incident but at least you stayed safe
Thx! Excellent driving out there. I really enjoyed watching you dance through T8.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Violet can be quite the bully. Who knew?!?!?!!! Cameos by Mooty in the 996 Cup car (sporting Gulf livery) and DRL in the gorgeous green 997.2 RS.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

video unavailable...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worked for me. Loved the wave as drl went round n round
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
FWIW, I think everybody did a great job at TH. Watching the GT3s and others have some nice, friendly, respectful track driving was a blast. Doesn't get any better than that. And I got to see it from on track and up in the tower.

For me, I had a blast going out and keeping up with the pack sometimes and sometimes going out and taking it a bit easier. No problem at all in someone running sub 2:00's or up into the 2:15+ range. It's not really about the speed, but how good a driver you are and the mutual respect for others on the track and in the paddock.

For me, getting passed by the train isn't so bad, I always learn something from following, even if its only for a few corners. :-)

Great job guys!

Tim
Thanks Tim

We have a great group of fun track nuts. Like you said, it's not about who is faster but the challenge each driver faces with their machine and that can vary so much given track temp, tire pressure etc

Originally Posted by kormaster
mikymu = hammer picture - bad week... i ran over something on the freeway and later i found out that it was hammer that split into my side skirt of my dd... i just laughed when i saw it. SO whats the chance .. wth.. dirty LA freeway.

I like the video mikymu... mooty was just tailing you the whole time.. great driving both of you guys... much to learn from your videos. Any overlay to show gas/brake % input?
Glad you like the video. mooty and I had a blast chasing each other. My motec data is all mess up so no data overlay. Will as AIMS solo to my Cup next time for some nice data overlay

man ... that hammer on your prius is just crazy

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Violet can be quite the bully. Who knew?!?!?!!! Cameos by Mooty in the 996 Cup car (sporting Gulf livery) and DRL in the gorgeous green 997.2 RS.
Nice video Lar. It was nice to relax and watch your track video at end of work day. Derek put on a nice show there.

So, camera mouts - as you can see the first mount has the right height but shimmy side to side and crate unsteady image. second mount is too low and further back (you need to take out your passenger seat).

What you need is this i/o port camera mount. It does not allow side to side movement like your taller mount and you need to add a gopro tripot mount and few arm extension and I will show you how to work the wifi so you can aim the video then you will be golden.

we also need to do something about your gopro sound. wind noise dominate too much and we may need to get a mic extension near exhaust to give it a nice kick

lastly, ditch your iphone and use AIM sole DL. it plug right into your OBDII port and will give you engine data, accurate lap time etc unlike iphone

Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mikymu - there is two ways to hook up AIM solo DL - CAN/ECU (small metal connector) and OBDII (we all know what they look like) - which one do you have it?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
mikymu - there is two ways to hook up AIM solo DL - CAN/ECU (small metal connector) and OBDII (we all know what they look like) - which one do you have it?
for street GT3 you just use your OBDII and for my Cup I have to use special CAN connector to tap into BOSCH ecu
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
for street GT3 you just use your OBDII and for my Cup I have to use special CAN connector to tap into BOSCH ecu
You wont get nearly as many useful channels and a slower data rate if you use the obdII connector on a GT3 (Bosch ECU). Tap into the CAN line if you want all the good stuff (brake pressure, TPS, steering angle, oil pressure, oil temp, rpm, individual wheels speed, etc).
Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

wow, derek, u have been studying joe's driving style.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Are all of you guys running PASM/Traction Control off on the track?

Quick Reply: Thunderhill, NorCal DE crew question