Thunderhill, NorCal DE crew question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
montoya, nice T-shirt and welcome to the no none sense sheep club

below is a pic of me fashion the black death star T-**** in 100F heat and couple more pic of the DE Cup love shack with CL hell and long tech line Friday afternoon.

Hope to see some of you soon again at Thunderhill. It was fun and I am really tired from all the playing. Next time I will have fresh slicks to keep up with mooty through the tight corners ... I can only do so much with 35+ heat cycle scrub tires.

more video from past weekend - note to self, need better pit crew
Black sheep racing was everywhere last weekend!! Awesome!

Name:  IMG_1230.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  130.8 KB

Yoko's are your friend for about 10 heat cycles- I cord after about 15, so don't know how you manage that high!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have some video to share? Would love to see more RL'er's data and stuffs... Since, I lamed up and didn't meet you guys I need to steal all your speed secrets via video. :-) The 2:00 mark is still waaaay too far away from to manage on my own methinks.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to work on:

- turn 1 (can go in at much higher speed and stop scrubbing speed before the turn)
- exiting turn 6 to before 9 - gun it out, i ***** footed 7 and 8. Last day, I was able to do them at higher speed. Watching mikymu's video tells me one thing - GUN IT down..

mikymu - do u slightly tap the brake at turn 8? You can carry so much speed there.

Turn 10 - i brake too much!!! It is banked and I can take advantage of it.
Turn 14 - brake deeper... i braked too much here too.

Mostly i got better on 2nd day. You shouldve seen me 1st session on Friday. No clue as I was just trying to follow anyone in front of me.

damn i miss this track already... long wait til another PCA event.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by medpilot105
Anyone else have some video to share?
Unfortunately, all my videos had no sound as my microphone decided not to work. It is boring enough to watch my driving but even worse when it is a silent movie.

I did have a Skip Barber instructor give me a ride along in my car, and he showed me some great lines and braking points around TH.

Originally Posted by kormaster
Slow down Kormaster, it sounds like you are hitting the crack pipe too much. You are going through withdrawals
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Black sheep racing was everywhere last weekend!! Awesome!

Yoko's are your friend for about 10 heat cycles- I cord after about 15, so don't know how you manage that high!
yeah, mad sheep gone grazing all over the track last weekend. I don't know why tires seem to last at least 2-3 times longer than my peers but last set of Hoosier R6 on Z06 lasted more than 35 heat cycle. I own the Cup car for over 2 years now and have yet to use a set of new Michelin. What I ran last weekend was a set of throw away Yoko after a PCA Cup race back east and it is OLD and I could really tell that it has little grip as mooty slip away through tight twistiest

You should have seen the tire carnage with DE Cup guys. There were large blister on Lar's RS and Chasen corded his R6 and both tires are relatively new ...

Anyone else have some video to share? Would love to see more RL'er's data and stuffs... Since, I lamed up and didn't meet you guys I need to steal all your speed secrets via video. :-) The 2:00 mark is still waaaay too far away from to manage on my own methinks.
My motec in the Cup is not cooperating with data download so I can't post. I think some of the DE crew should be able to post video with data

I need to work on:

- turn 1 (can go in at much higher speed and stop scrubbing speed before the turn)
- exiting turn 6 to before 9 - gun it out, i ***** footed 7 and 8. Last day, I was able to do them at higher speed. Watching mikymu's video tells me one thing - GUN IT down..

mikymu - do u slightly tap the brake at turn 8? You can carry so much speed there.

Turn 10 - i brake too much!!! It is banked and I can take advantage of it.
Turn 14 - brake deeper... i braked too much here too.

Mostly i got better on 2nd day. You shouldve seen me 1st session on Friday. No clue as I was just trying to follow anyone in front of me.

lol

Thunderhill is very addicting and I been at it for 4+ years and still can't wait to go back and work on the lines

For street GT3 on Hoosier R6 you can take T1 entry speed near 90 mph with practice. easy and slight aggressive on gas on your way out of T6. Don't gas too hard exit turn 6 or your back end will be your front end quick. gas hard after T6 and I easy lift but no brake right before T8 on the right side then medium gas through T8. I am usually doing 120 mph+ entry speed with GT3 Cup into T8 and 110 mph+ mid T8 and once car settle you gas hard out of T8 - be very careful with T8. Do it too fast then you will climb the hill or worst doing rolls - sky, dirt, sky, dirt

T10 you do need to brake pretty hard but not long and accelerate through.
T14 you step on it
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430

Slow down Kormaster, it sounds like you are hitting the crack pipe too much. You are going through withdrawals
It all started with this forum. downhill...

mikymu - thanks for the details!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 AM
medpilot105
Instructor

Great insight, guys. Can't believe the grip on your Cup, Mikymu. Lift only into T8 is fantastic at that entry speed! Holy crap.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Great stuff, wish I was there stalking.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

It all started with this forum. downhill...

mikymu - thanks for the details!
sure thing. Hang out with us at our DE love shack next time and real coach like 24chromium will show you the fast and safe way to drive Thunderhill. if you ask mooty he will say just don't lift. if you have him do in car coaching he will yell at you so loud you will crap your pants. He coach me once and I was never the same again

Great insight, guys. Can't believe the grip on your Cup, Mikymu. Lift only into T8 is fantastic at that entry speed! Holy crap.
lol

The first time I went over T8 over 100 mph I turn green (I was driving my green RS). Last weekend on one of my 1:55 lap I went through T8 at 115+ mph and kiss my roll cage after the session. Scary to think what I can do with a set of fresh slicks. I am sure you taken some serious speed in your copter through the sky

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Great stuff, wish I was there stalking.
don't wish, dream don't come true unlike what Disney tell you. Just show up and drive with us. You will be impress to see how many sets of tires these DE nut use in one day
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Kornmaster:

I was in the meteor grey .2 with black wheels.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM
bensf
Racer

Sorry I missed all the fun on Sat and Sun. I have some good footage of mooty, 24Chromium, Chasen and a wayward Camaro from Fri. with the bypass configuration. Sorry for all the wind noise, Smartycam HD can't get here soon enough for me.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bensf
Sorry I missed all the fun on Sat and Sun. I have some good footage of mooty, 24Chromium, Chasen and a wayward Camaro from Fri. with the bypass configuration. Sorry for all the wind noise, Smartycam HD can't get here soon enough for me.
Nice driving Ben and you are very fast in your Spyder. Your data is not sync with video and need some adjustment so we can see where you brake, entry speed etc. If you can, make the track map fix in one position - all the moving is making me dizzy
Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Daaamn! You are right there with the RS's from T2 till T6. Impressive, Ben. You should be able to carry a good deal more speed thru T8. Just need to man up!

Get this man a Cup car!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice video Ben, and nice meeting you Friday. I was back there somewhere in the train when that Camero spun, but it being Friday and my first day at TH I was way too slow to keep up with you guys!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

tgsmith4845

Is the Laguna event in November 105db?

Thanks for any info

Peter

Quick Reply: Thunderhill, NorCal DE crew question