Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Million Dollar RS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The Million Dollar RS Question

Anyone that follows along the great conversations here and elsewhere recently can see that there is a consensus opinion that it's a seller's market for the whole range of 997 RS cars (excepting the GT2).

So the big question is this: if it is indeed such a seller's market, where are all of the cars for sale, as usually happens in any market where prices are so strong? Check around, from 3.6 to 3.8 to 4.0, there is almost nothing to buy.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Sellers market if they need the cash or want to get into something new. I don't think many hardcore Rennlisters will get rid of their beloved Mezger block GT Cars, I know I won't. Everyone has a price though.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there were a bunch available it wouldn't be a sellers market. Simply supply and demand.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Why is the GT2 excluded?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The GT2 RS was grossly overpriced to start with and not very popular.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

This is question makes for good debate, as I hoped.

The GT2RS is excluded because the market for them is soft; when they are actually selling, they're well behind MSRP.

I agree that reading the forums, the "hardcore" track guys are more likely to hold their 997 RS cars because they don't like the 991, honor the Mezger, can't live without a manual. However, I think a good debate includes the whole marketplace. And yes, a seller's market does imply a supply and demand imbalance; however when any type of collector market is rising to a peak, there is always a rush by sellers to sell and capitalize on these prices. Right now, we're not seeing it (check all of the usual sources and you just won't see much for sale) and that is the question I'm posing for debate.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

I'll just add that in addition to enjoying the debate, I am only a buyer and not a seller. So as someone ready and willing to buy RS cars (including the GT2) even at these levels, it is even more curious.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The GT2 RS was grossly overpriced to start with and not very popular.
Why overpriced...? dont get it. Same price as a 458..and compared to the 458 it holds value much better.

But I agree that GT2 and GT2RS are less sought for - for the moment. Especially the GT2 (without RS)..is not an easy car to sell. But who knows..what will happen in 5 years..but if you ask me - prices of GT2RS will skyrocket in 10 years..simply because it was the most powerful manual shift car from Porsche...and I dont see any other coming up. And having driven the car - (however not having driven the 4.0) I feel that this car is underrated and doesnt deserve any critics. Probably most of it comes from people who have never driven it.

But I think we should put this discussion to the other thread on "997 GT value.".
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

OK, I'll sell for a million dollars

Last edited by WSH; 05-03-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
redantporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector

So the big question is this: if it is indeed such a seller's market, where are all of the cars for sale, as usually happens in any market where prices are so strong? Check around, from 3.6 to 3.8 to 4.0, there is almost nothing to buy.

Just because there are no cars available, doesn't mean it can't be a "seller's market." There is simply a gap between what "buyers" want to pay versus where the "sellers" want to sell. Owners are simply not enticed to let their cars go at current market levels, so they don't put them on the market. They obviously believe their cars will be worth more - and the 991 RS with it's PDK only gives them a good excuse not to sell now - just like there was the last of the air-cooled cars where you see 993's with mileage trade at MSRP levels, current holders of the last manual RS cars think that may make their cars more special. The result is very little trading volume.

There were a ton of 993's made, including the Turbo. When you compare the production of the 993 Turbos to the production of RS cars and particularly the 4.0 RS, it isn't hard to suggest that prices will eventually go much higher. Look at the 993 Turbo S. While the car has some unique attributes, it really isn't too unique when compared to a stock regular 993 Turbo, but a pristine Turbo S will trade at lofty levels.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove a 996 GT3 and a 996 GT2. No comparison. Bought the GT2 as they are a STEAL right now. NOTHING beats horsepower
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the likes of the GT2RS we will never see again from Porsche IMHO
last factory built model that includes all of the following - over 600hp, Rwd, manual trans, and no hybrid function
I think this will mean something long term... really long term
I would bet that there will always be examples for sale but the really mint ones will never hit the open market -- simply moved back and forth thru various collections and possibly with the help of a broker or in the know porschephile... and it will never be the crown jewel of any varstiy level Porsche collection but serious collectors will recognize the significance of its inclusion in any Porsche collection.

If I was inclined to speculate on future values of current era Porsches I would target the following models:

CGT - last analog Porsche "super car" and a very good seller and a reputation of being a handful... oh and v10 and fantastic looking and manual trans etc.

GT2RS - do we see another factory built 911 variant making over 600 hp... and when we do, you know it will be pdk, torque vectoring, rear steering, hybrid, awd - ring time will be great but the experience will be digital. The GT2RS will never have the mass appeal of the 4.0 but for a certain group of fans it does represent a "greatest hits" compilation of the current era.

4.0RS - this is obvious... limited production, 4.0 liter, highly acclaimed, race proven engine, truly an end of an era model...

3.8RS and 3.6RS will hold long term and future pricing will get sucked upwards by the 4.0 inevitable collector status, but the production numbers will limit upside for all but the bubble wrapped examples
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The market for used 997.1RS and 997.2RS is indeed currenty small.

Those who typically buy them new and sell them with low miles within first two years (to avoid mass depreciation and to keep driveway fresh) have come and gone for both generations. They commonly go through multiple high end vehicles...
Other people who bought them new especially those for above sticker are in for the long haul as they paid out the *** and any sale would be a massive hit, espcecially on something they do not care to replace anyhow. They paid high because they really wanted one to hold.

Those who bought them used waited patiently and are also not interested in anything else new or used to replace them as they bought in below the major depreciation radar and they are where they wanna be.

The next RS is more then a year out and a manual transmission in a GT3 is no longer available.
Makes the 997 generation somewhat special. (think of 993 turbo values today)

So now all of the above owners are content for the moment until the next great thing comes along.

So as they say in blackjack, i will stay.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Anyone that follows along the great conversations here and elsewhere recently can see that there is a consensus opinion that it's a seller's market for the whole range of 997 RS cars (excepting the GT2).

supply and demand.....sellers market
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

There are always people selling one car to move into another. In this case, however, I agree that for most GT3 owners there just isn't anything else out there they'd rather have right now. And although the 991 GT3 will no doubt be a very nice car, it lacks a few things that the driver purists among us desire so, at least for now, a lot are going to adopt a wait and see attitude.

Everything has a price though. Mine could probably be had for $95k.

Quick Reply: The Million Dollar RS Question